What's new

are vintage schick blades any good?

They should be excellent blades, as long as they are marked stainless steel. The very old blades are usually carbon steel and will rust if left in the razor. Of course, they can be easily removed from a GEM-type SE razor, dried, and oiled to keep them from rusting--but that is not practical in an injector razor. I'm sure that Coolbus18 will be along shortly to add to the discussion.

FireDragon76,

For me, the vintage stainless Schick blades shave very much better than the modern Personna injector blades.

For me, they are sharper and smoother, and last many more shaves.

I have now finished my last pack of vintage Schick blades :crying:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

While I like vintage blades best, I find the Pella PTFE-coated stainless injector blades deliver smooth, close shaves for me.

I tried one today. Not the smoothest shaver. I think I'm not going to use them. I'll get some new ones at a drugstore or use my Pella blades.

They came from the estate of my uncle's father, probably decades old.

If they have been in a bathroom or any environment with occasional higher humidity for most of those years they may have a layer of oxidation on the blade edge, even so-called stainless blades. It isn't necessary to see rust for there to be some metal damage.

FireDragon76,

For me, the vintage stainless Schick blades shave very much better than the modern Personna injector blades.

For me, they are sharper and smoother, and last many more shaves.

I have now finished my last pack of vintage Schick blades :crying:

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

How do you feel they compare to the Chick blades?

Warlocks,

I have never tried the Chick blades.

I had quite a number (500) of vintage Schick stainless blades (made in Holland - I bought these in the 1970s when I used Injector razors daily), and also last year bought a couple of hundred Personna Injector blades (new made) as a back-up (these are easily available in the UK). Now the vintage blades are used up, I am left with the Personna Injectors - these always give me a slightly rough shave - not bad, but not as smooth as DE or GEM SE shaves. (Other shavers may find the Personna's give them smoooooth shaves :001_smile) - a very personal thing are blades !

I will order some Chicks and see how they perform :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

I tried a third blade from the vintage Schicks. This time I corked the blade on a piece of styrefoam packing. It shaves fine, very smooth, very little irritation.

Where can I order some Chick blades, I'd like to try them.

I tried a third blade from the vintage Schicks. This time I corked the blade on a piece of styrefoam packing. It shaves fine, very smooth, very little irritation.

Where can I order some Chick blades, I'd like to try them.

I purchase mine off Amazon, but you can find them on many online retailers.

Properly stored, the blades can be good to just OK. If stored as sub vet describes, not good.

If they have been in a bathroom or any environment with occasional higher humidity for most of those years they may have a layer of oxidation on the blade edge, even so-called stainless blades. It isn't necessary to see rust for there to be some metal damage.

Top Bottom