What's new

The growler conundrum

There is a new place down the street that sells a huge selection of bottled beers and wine. They also do growler fills, like so many more places popping up doing this.

I went in Saturday to browse around, and ended up walking out with one of the smaller "bomber" growlers of Uinta Black Lager. (I love black lagers).

This obviously isn't my first time buying a growler, but for some reason, this time got me thinking...I paid $8 for that growler. 32oz. That comes out to 2.6 beers. But wait...I can buy an entire 6 pack of GOOD craft brewed beer for between $7-10 (depending on brand, style etc). I can even buy a 6 pack in that price range in the same exact store I purchased the 32oz growler.

That got me thinking. Are we paying a premium to take home beer in a cute little glass jar?

Now that is only for regularly available beers. It doesn't count for special release beers that may not be bottled, or small local breweries that do not bottle/can.

Purchased a couple of growlers from my local brewery, too. Only used them twice, even though this brewery does not can or bottle their product. It is good stuff, but I won't pay that much for beer. And it does go flat rather quickly in the growler. I'll enjoy their brews on tap at their place or local bars.

Dogfish will sometimes offer particular beers only on tap at the restaurant or brewery, which is how I got started with growlers. I still use them elsewhere for the same purpose as already mentioned, taking something home that is otherwise not available.

I'm almost exclusively drinking growlers from New England Brewing Co. They make amazing beer and there's always something new to be had. I mostly buy stuff I can't get in the store, but will also buy some of their standard beers. It may cost a bit more, but you're also getting the freshest beer possible, which makes a huge difference for many styles.

I'm always tempted to go get my growler filled. But as you mentioned, it goes flat incredibly quick. Now, I try to only do it if I'm going to or having other people over. And even then, I try to get it at most 2 days before the event. Too many good beers out there to let something go flat just so I can have it in a jug at home.

I'm always tempted to go get my growler filled. But as you mentioned, it goes flat incredibly quick. Now, I try to only do it if I'm going to or having other people over. And even then, I try to get it at most 2 days before the event. Too many good beers out there to let something go flat just so I can have it in a jug at home.

I’ve had them last a surprisingly long time if they remain unopened. Someone got me a small 32oz growler for my birthday while I was back home visiting my parents. People brought by so much beer that night, it never got opened. I didn’t take it home because I figured it wouldn’t survive the 5 hour car trip etc and told my dad to drink it. 3 months later, my parents came up to visit and brought the growler with them…I was surprised to see it was still fully carbonated. A little oxidized, but fully carbonated.

Once opened, they do need to be consumed that day. I guess you could stretch it to the next, but I’ve never had that problem. When I do buy them, its always when there are a lot of people around, and I know it will all get used.

I have a kegerator at the house. Basically a refrigerator with full size keg, CO2 and a tap. I fill my growlers from it. I also use them for home brewing. The keg shops seem to be a ripoff.

Most pubs that serve craft beers will charge about $4-$5 per pint. So, actually $8.00 is a pretty good price for a quart of high end brew. Drinking beer at home is always going to be a less-expensive proposition, no matter what beer you are consuming. Budweiser is about what?? $6.00 a six-pack? I haven't seen a bar serving Bud (or Miller, or Yuengling, or most other macro beers) for less than $2.00 a pint in quite a while. The math now reflects the true economics of the issue.

Because of some of the most asinine political maneuvers I have EVER witnessed, growlers are only available in this state on a quite limited basis..and only in 32 or 128 oz. containers. The specifics as to why this idiocy occurs would take way too long to discuss here. Hopefully the upcoming legislative session will use some common sense and allow for more flexibility this coming year.

Last edited:
Constantly seeing items in the local news in SW FL about growler restrictions changing here soon. Fingers crossed.

I noticed that a growler refill was more expensive than the supermarket for a local porter. So I bought the cans. Weird though!

Top Bottom