What's new

Why So Big?

Back in the day people would probably have not perceived straight razor shaving as a hobby like us but as a necessity. They would not have possessed 30+ razors and needed their razor to last a lifetime. A large blade would have survived much more honings, especially for barbers. Largeness of a blade may thus have been a selling argument. But I agree that large blades look cool.

They blitz through dense growth in a way few more typically sized razors can. The only tiny blade that can monster through the way a huge chopper can in my experience is a kamisori but that is a totally different animal. It's just effortless... And you can go over half your face before you need to rinse it... Bigger wedges are actually more user friendly imo. Anything under 3/4 with a wedge feels very off to me as far as finding and maintaining your angle. an 8/8 round point solingen blade like a Dorko is a glorious thing. Another big part of it is if you like feedback, a huge hollow ground blade really sings when you use it. They are also a lot more comfortable for me to hold, in genera,l as the tang, scales and tail all have to be more generous and I have massive hands.

Last edited:
Aesthetics, I just love the look of a meaty one-incher with a square point. Other than that, no real difference, if you know how to weld a straight, half an inch or a full inch will do the job.

I believe they were marketed toward barbers mostly, as they would last many more shaves and honing sessions before needing to be tossed. Also they carry more lather so more face time, less wipe time. To a Barber face time=money.
This. ^^^

I have in my arsenal, all sizes, 2/8 to 7/8, and for myself I just prefer the larger 7/8 razor, for feel in hand and on my face. The 2/8 is a great small razor for trimming accurate edge line around my stash.

Top Bottom