What's new

2nd try - I feel unshaven

2nd try with a straight -- this time I used a Frederick Reynolds I got off the Bay. Maybe it's less sharp than the Bradwell or maybe it was my technique. I did two WTG passes on the cheeks and sides. I got bold and nicked myself as I ventured near my chin and mouth. I did however find it easy to shave under my nose as the blade was a small 4/8 or 9/16 (not totally sure which).

I decided not to tempt fate and skipped the rest of my chin and under my jaw.

Because it wasn't close I decided to leave my whole face at the CCS level. I used a quick pass with an electric to "simulate" the overall feel of an imperfect shave and even out my face without trying to go BBS with a DE. Because that's what this shave reminded me of -- an unsatisfying, not too close electric shave.

This is much harder than a DE and my first week of DE shaving was a breeze compared to this. I also don't see how even an experienced straight shaver can avoid some bad Oops moments from time to time, and especially as one ages and one's hands shake more and skin wrinkles badly. It's just a fact that mild inattention, or an unexpected distraction causes more problems.

The collective wisdom is that on average one needs 100 shaves to get it right. And even then there is room for continual improvement.
Was the blade sold as shave ready? Is it shave ready?
Are you paying attention to angle, skin stretching, lather, pressure?
And yes, constant vigilance!

Yes, I understand this. The blade was sold as shave ready but I think it still needs finishing. I'm going to try to strop it on Larry's balsa. And then after I will send it to Obiwan to be honed more appropriately. Also, I have no problems with lather or watching angle. I mostly shaved the sides and cheeks. I have easy to cut hair on the sides and even a 3 day old Dorco blade has no problems with it.

So yes, I know about the 100 shaves. Just saying that unless one is willing to make a full time commitment, this is a slow, perhaps agonizing process. For me probably not worth the aggravation except as luxury weekend shaves. But I can see incorporating it as a Saturday routine where for the first year I try my best on Saturday, then do BBS cleanup on Sunday or Monday with a DE. And the ever present need to make sure the scales aren't soaked, to clean and dry the blade for storage, and of course the constant risk of an accident make it unsuitable for my daily needs.

So yes, I know about the 100 shaves. Just saying that unless one is willing to make a full time commitment, this is a slow, perhaps agonizing process.

Dedication, attention to detail (shaving and maintenance of the edge), and daily practice are the key.

I've been shaving with a straight for a few weeks now, and remember that there was a point after three or four shaves where I was getting pretty frustrated, and wondering whether it was all worth the effort. But a couple of shaves after that, things almost magically started falling into place ... and though I'm still far from perfect at this, I now have no doubt that I can do this efficiently and well. Crossing that threshold was pretty satisfying, and made the initial cuts and frustration well worthwhile.

I really do wish I'd started all this thirty years ago, though, when my skin was tight and my hand was steady and my eyes were sharp. Would have been a lot easier to make the transition back then!

Stick with it, It will get better, much better! It took me close to a month until my shaves started coming together, and that's with shaving every day. To paraphrase Montanan, one it starts to come together, it's a magical feeling!

I'm at the point now where my shaves are almost as smooth at my de shaves were, but with out the irritation! To me the skin feels so much better after a straight shave.

I've been shaving with a straight for a few weeks now, and remember that there was a point after three or four shaves where I was getting pretty frustrated, and wondering whether it was all worth the effort. But a couple of shaves after that, things almost magically started falling into place ... and though I'm still far from perfect at this, I now have no doubt that I can do this efficiently and well. Crossing that threshold was pretty satisfying, and made the initial cuts and frustration well worthwhile.

+1 to this. Started shaving with a real straight in December, and even with months of shavette training it was not smooth shaving at first. My advice: don’t be afraid to focus on one part of your face at a time per shave and touchup / shave the rest with a DE, do not go for BBS at first, and only go through with it if you have the patience at the get-go. Finally, you can never strop too much. Strop before you start, then strop some more! I’ve even been know to “stop and strop” mid-shave; I don’t know if the subsequent sharper feel was psychological, or if the act of stropping reset my mind for the shave. I shave before work with my straight now and do DE touchup on my neck when I’m in a hurry; you’ll get there too.

Shaving with a S.R. will get much easier when you get a properly honed edge. Just give it some time and one day you'll have a huge grin on your face.

Last edited:
I'm doubting the shave readiness of your razor. A properly honed razor should leave no hair after a WTG pass.

Subsequent passes are to get the BBS or DFS

I'm doubting the shave readiness of your razor. A properly honed razor should leave no hair after a WTG pass.

I agree. That was mostly true of the Bradwell I used on my first shave -- DFS in one pass on the cheeks/sideburns. Hence the need to send it to Obiwan. But the nicks and problems with the chin and jaw and the general fear and hassle are common to all of them.

I agree. That was mostly true of the Bradwell I used on my first shave -- DFS in one pass on the cheeks/sideburns. Hence the need to send it to Obiwan. But the nicks and problems with the chin and jaw and the general fear and hassle are common to all of them.

Yep. Chin curve is the hardest IMO.

Here is your answer. Just send it to Doc and he will get your razor into shape. Most folks who claim to be selling a shave ready razor don't know what it means and have mever shaved with one. This includes all AOS stores.

As a new SR apprentice my self I too have had to come to grips with the fact that there is a markedly different cost/benefits ratio with this endeavor. In addition to the cost of your razor and a quality strop you may soon start pricing hones and pastes and the like as well. These are all things you'll have to figure out if you're in a position to commit to. I really enjoy the SR challenge and I wouldn't try to discourage anyone from it but shaving with a DE is a noble affair as well and it has lots of variations in terms of razor designs and such as well. SR shaving will relentlessly expose any shortcomings in terms of razor fitness, face prep, & shaving technique like nothing else in the world. I my self have been having such a hard time in fact that I've wondered how anyone has managed to get a decent shave with one of these things! :001_huh:

I enjoyed reading this thread. I too have just begun shaving with a straight razor. So far, I have 2 partial shaves and not much success getting a clean shave of the growth. I sent my razor to Bayamontate to be honed. I shaved right off the edge he put on it. I could not get the razor to shave me close. Undaunted I tried again. Nelson suggested I strop the razor before the shave. This time I did a little better. I am still trying to get the angle down, and the correct amount of pressure. I can't try the straight every time I shave, so I will just keep trying
For me, another big adjustment, my razor (a S.A.Droescher Classic) had a very light hollow blade. When DE shaving the weight of the razor does most of the work, not so with my straight. I guess I don't have the correct amount of pressure down yet.

I also don't see how even an experienced straight shaver can avoid some bad Oops moments from time to time, and especially as one ages and one's hands shake more and skin wrinkles badly. It's just a fact that mild inattention, or an unexpected distraction causes more problems.

Its like the fear of flying. Everything in your head tells you this must be dangerous, but I can tell you when you get it down pat, cutting yourself is a thing of the past. Its been over a year since I have drawn any blood from a shave. Also, my BBS shaves last 10 hours longer than any DE shave I've had. Patience, practice and endurance will pay off handsomely. I shave with a SR almost exclusively and as far as age and dexterity goes, I have RA. This is my good hand that I shave with. LOL

I didn't get a good shave until finally figuring out how to hone my own razor. It's just hard to know where you stand without a known good edge.

It feels good to reed this. I did my first shave with my strait tonight ( TI special coiffeur 5/8) and it was really frustrating 99 shave to go, I won't quit.

Top Bottom