What's new

Wanting to add a modern razor to my den

After nearly five years of using vintage Gillette, I want to add a modern razor. I looking for a razor under the $100 mark.
I would like more aggression than I have with my open combs. I rather have three piece then tto. I have looked at FaTip, Parker 24 c, Merkur slant, RazoRock slab, of course a R41.

Any thoughts from you guys and your experience with those razors. Or other razors to think about.

Almost everyone on here loves the r41, but I just sold mine. A bit too aggressive for me to enjoy. If I could only pick one razor for the rest of my life, in order to get the best combination of closeness and comfort, it would be a Weber.

+1 on the Weber. Unfortunately only the handles are available right now. I also really like the Merkur Progress and kind of regret selling mine last year.

If you want aggressive the R41 and Fatip are probably a give in.

/edit - i also have a Weber its a perfect razor :)

Last edited:
I have a Roazorock Jaws and it is a 6.5 on the B&B aggression wiki. I quite like it. I also have a Merkur 39c (5.5) and it is a good razor too. I think the Jaws is going to be my everyday though. 5 straight days so far with it. I am not crazy about the handle so I use the one off of my Edwin Jagger DE89 for now. I do have a 2013 r41 (9.5) but havent tried it yet. I may add a FaTip soon to fill in the gap between the Jaws and R41.

For me, it was the R41. Little bit of a learning curve, but when paired with the right blade, the shave is phenomenal.

I know its not in your list, but the Merkur 34C has been a pretty good razor for me, and I consider it pretty aggressive. It is more aggressive than my 40's Gillette Superspeed, and more so than my Fatboy set on #4 or #5. So not sure how crazy you are wanting to get with aggressiveness. I have heard the Merkur slant is really aggressive, but I think that will be my next purchase as I am curious to try a slant vs the regular head DE.

Progress, it will give you any shave you want, and a darn smooth one too. You wan the aggressiveness of the R41 or more, turn it up, you want the mildness of a Tech or less, turn it down. Nice hefty razor too.

I'd say Merkur Futur if the adjustability and aggressiveness are key, Futur is more aggressive. Turning the Progress into a Mergress would make it a better razor than the Futur, but that would break the $100 budget by a bit.

Fatip head + Weber Bulldog handle

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 60 vintage Gillette razors and while I love all of them I am getting some of the best shaves ever with the new Ikon 102 Slant. For some reason it just works wonderfully for me. Mild but efficient, irritation free, 2 pass + touch-up BBS. I did not get along well with the Merkur 37C so I sold it. The Ikon 102 is now a razor that I will not be without. In fact I am thinking about buying another just for a backup.

$DSC_0101.jpg

I love my new Merkur 39C slant bar .. It mows down whiskers effortlessly and leaves no irritation. Also I really like my 2-pc Mühle R89 twist .. Mild but very effective razor. And the Edwin Jagger DE89's are great shavers too !

I love my new Merkur 39C slant bar .. It mows down whiskers effortlessly and leaves no irritation. Also I really like my 2-pc Mühle R89 twist .. Mild but very effective razor. And the Edwin Jagger DE89's are great shavers too !

+1 for a 39C. The weight, once handled properly, leads to a very smooth shave. It is a classic..

This question is so hard to answer.
Everyone is so different. Both of my sons are die hard Merkur fans. But they each like a different model. I tried Their Merkur razors and they are not for me.
I have quite a few vintage razors that I have accumulated over the years.
I have tried some modern razors. The one that I kept was a RazoRock Mission. It just works so well for me.
I like the handle length, weight, and balance. Works like a dream with any blade I feed it.
And for $20 it is right up my alley.
Between me and my two boys. We all shave differently, and like different razors, and blades.
We also have different levels of sensitivity.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

If you want a modern, clean shaving, comfortable to use razor made of a material that won't rot when wet consider the Standard Razor. It's the most ignored razor on this forum but as a daily user I can tell you it's one of the best out there.

Top Bottom