What's new

Suggest a balm for me?

Hi guys.

I have never really tried the aftershave thing. I've been wetshaving for a while now though.

Typically I:
- Wash my face in the shower. (Mystic Water "Avocado Castile" soap--very moisturizing)
- Shave in the shower
- Rinse my face (warm shower water, I know its supposed to be cold water but meh)
- Apply an alum block
- Clean my gear
- Rinse alum off (warm water still)
- Wash again with the nicely moisturizing soap

However, my face is moderately sensitive, especially if I chase the BBS shave. (If I stick to with & across, I'm usually fine.)
I don't end up being too dry though--the final wash seems to do a lot there.

One reason I've steered clear of aftershaves is that my wife can't stand most scents. At all. Give her headaches, sneezing, etc. She is ok with mild vanilla or (mild or strong) minty smells.

Would I be gaining much over the final soap wash if I added a balm? I think I wanna give it a shot and see.
Does anyone have a recommendation of a mild vanilla or any-strength minty smelling balm (or unscented) that will provide a lot of soothing?

I havent tried it yet but i ordered today the soap commander integrity balm (unscented). Has great reviews and everyone recommends it.

Stirling makes a nice unscented balm, as well as some unconventional scents that might work for you (Black Cherry?).

They are quite reasonably priced, and even offer 2 oz sample sizes so you can experiment.

--Bob

Second on the Stirling unscented balm. My wife is sensitive to aftershaves and colognes. Have to keep it light..

NIVEA Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I use this one a lot. very subtle scent that goes away fast and the price is hard to beat, especially on sale. Walgreens had them buy one get one 50% off a couple of weeks ago. I am going to try the Macca Root stuff from Body Shop next.

I just got Stirling's Lime balm, wowsa excellent scent and makes my face super smooth and not greasy :thumbup1:

Another vote for the Nivea Sensitive. It also works well in the evening/night as a light moisturizer if your skin feels dry/scratchy, which is how I tend to use it.

You might try just a smear of shea butter cream to add some moisture.
i like Institut Karite 25%, but there are many choices.

Haha! I actually read that in his voice in my head.

I always recommend the Nivea Sensitive ASB.

If you want another equally priced balm, but with far better ingredients: Stirling's Aftershave Balm - any scent. Perfection in a bottle.

If its equally priced with better ingredients, why do you always recommend the other one?

If its equally priced with better ingredients, why do you always recommend the other one?

Instead of having to wait a week for shipping for the Stirling (which is totally worth it), you could just drop by any of the local chain stores; CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart and pick yourself up some Nivea Sensitive ASB in under 20 mins.

+1 for the Nivea. Good product, widely available, and inexpensive. The Stirling is also very good, just a little pricier with shipping. Order some Stirling balm and add some shaving and bath soap to spread shipping costs. All their products are good.

NIVEA Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm

Top Bottom