What's new

What some call Vosgienne - Show off your rock

Cool! That's a gorgeous stone if I do say so myself.
And thanks for all of the historical background and detective work. Very interesting.

Mine shares many of the common characteristics. I've shown it to some other rock people and the closest we can come is a slate of some sort or other.

It seems most similar to my Thuri, but is a lot slower. I use it with oil or glycerin/water and it improves and edge after lots of strokes.

It puts a comfortable finish on a razor. I just don't know what it really is for sure. I guess that it doesn't matter as much as it does its job.

The last picture is at about 60x using an ultra-cheap iphone attachment. It's pretty poor, but does show some of the sparkle when magnified.

Attachments

• $indoors 60x.jpg
    $indoors 60x.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 144
  • $hersheys shot.jpg
    $hersheys shot.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 143
  • $backside.jpg
    $backside.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 145
  • $w hersheys.jpg
    $w hersheys.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 145
  • $YL BBW slurry.jpg
    $YL BBW slurry.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 144
As mentioned here is the last one i can show which could fit in the Term of a Vosgienne....but as mentioned its another "Monster".....it has a more brownish/bronze look, it has some red and green inclusions and its also very fine when used with oil or glycerin....

Actually Sharpchef has it for testing, i will also ask him if he can share some of his findings concerning this stone....

The stone from Doorsch acts exactly like the LaLune i own, the resulting edges are very close. After about 50 X Strokes (with glycerin water mix/Oil) on a shaveready razor (sharpened with Chosera 10k), i could not tell a difference in honing feeling, shave and HHT.

Very intressting stone.

Greets Sebastian.

Mine is aggressive which falls in line with the french stamped hones. If you forced me to assign a grit, mine is over 15k. BTW, I have begun to explore this whole vermont slate deal with ppl in the business up there. I have also sent them a lot of visual data for the french hones. One owner was actually fairly confident that between their on site geologist and some phone calls, they could figure out where any piece of natural whetstone was roughly quarried and if it was commercially exploited, a far more exact point. Apparently, there are multiple types of the purple green mottled that differ in hardness as well as some compositional differences. I am going to get a piece of the stuff in a hone shape to play with, and maybe one piece from a different type of slate entirely just to compare.

Last edited:
I just made a deal for this stone, i'm excited. My first Vos or possible french hone. I probably overpaid but it was less than they were asking and I really wanted it. :tongue_sm
proxy.php

Last edited:
Yup surface pattern type looks almost exactly like the one I recently posted about. Had a feeling someone from here would end up with that, lol. I think you will like that one.

$IMG_20150228_021005.jpg

$IMG_20150228_020248.jpg

$IMG_20150228_015540336.jpg

Last edited:
I just made a deal for this stone, i'm excited. My first Vos or possible french hone. I probably overpaid but it was less than they were asking and I really wanted it. :tongue_sm
proxy.php

Great score! this stone looks very similar to my labeled la lune. The only difference is in size - mine is 5.5"x2.9." Other than that - identical! It is an excellent finisher, which I prefer sometimes to my finest Y/G Escher. Congratulations again!

AG

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Great score! this stone looks very similar to my labeled la lune. The only difference is in size - mine is 5.5"x2.9." Other than that - identical! It is an excellent finisher, which I prefer sometimes to my finest Y/G Escher. Congratulations again!

AG

AG69:
Has your Stone a Stamp or Label ?

I'd say it does, lol. Although I don't think the depicted stone looks very similar to these that we think may be Vosgiennes. Maybe it's a bad picture?

Eric i realized that he mentioned the label....iam interested how it looks like and if there is a stamp
;-)

For me the difference is visible in the reflection of the material, the red lunes also have a certain bronze/metallic look like the dark lunes or special stones....

The Vosgiennes dont show this effect.....

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
So which stones have the blueish metallic finish with lots of sparkles and scattered "pockmarks"? Are those the special stones? La lunes?

Lunes have a very strange feel to them above all else. If you ever saw one you knew was one, you'd probably never mistake another hone for one. It has the strangest glaze to it. Kind of imagine the chocolate coating on an ice cream bar on a stick. It's odd, but I would say it is the biggest tell of all.

Both Types of Stones were marketed by F.G.B.C. either the "Special Stones for Good razors" as the "La Lune" stones. Actually both appear in blue metallic and in the reddish color....

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
No label, no stamp, and no experience with these stones but I think this is what we're talking about here?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 116
No label, no stamp, and no experience with these stones but I think this is what we're talking about here?

Yes David 100%.....actually it was not the stones started the Thread as Vosgiennes ;-)

But its a Special Stone for Good Razors....

I could get that lune that just sold for about $150 I guess a buyer didn't pay
It is pretty thin and beat up though so I'm probably going to pass. I want a purple one anyway, or at least a full thickness one.

Last edited:
I could get that lune that just sold for about $150 I guess a buyer didn't pay
It is pretty thin and beat up though so I'm probably going to pass. I wan a purple one anyway, or at least a full thickness one.

Think its too much for the small piece....however its on your side....

Top Bottom