What's new

100 shaves on one blade

Today I did my 100th shave on my vintage Wilkinson Super Sword-Edge blade and I look forward to a lot more.

My Wilkie, two tucks of them - well stored and factory sealed​

I have for two years now stretched the blades life as a means to achieve a consistent, effortless and comfortable shave. I have established a standard shaving cycle of 56 shaves (8 weeks of daily shaves) on Polsilver SI blades. My shaves are now clearly more enjoyable than when I changed the blade weekly.

This present longevity run started because I wanted to find out if there was any truth in the rumors that the blades from the past were better than the ones we use today. I managed to acquire two tucks of well stored and factory sealed blades from a private source in the UK. My intention was to do as many shaves as possible on the old blade and then to try to repeat that run on a contemporary blade. This idea seems overly optimistic now, but I will certainly try.

Please realize that while I have done a lot of shaves on this vintage blade there is no way of predicting how another member would fare in trying this. Besides the obvious question of technique there is also the question of how the blade has been stored and the consequences of the storage. There is also a great variety of these blades out there, especially the repackaged ones in the US. The repackaging was done to avoid customs fees when selling in the US.

About my shaving: My way of shaving consists of a shower, face wash to exfoliate, brush soaking in cold water during shower, cold water shaving with 2 passes (XTG + ATG), very shallow angle, cold water rinse and an AS. I pick up the soap from a puck or apply a stick directly to my face. I apply extra moisturizer once a week or daily during cold/dry season. I shave every day and all my shaves for the last six years have been BBS in the strictest meaning of the phrase. I have been DE shaving since 1980 and doing it full time for the last eight years. I use vintage Gillette razors (TTOs and 3 piece) and for me good soaps (Mystic Water, Pré de Provence, Martin de Candre and Tcheon Fung Sing).

Lessons learned from the first 100 shaves, besides control of angle and pressure:

1. Lather quality is the deal breaker. This includes the right amount of hydration of the skin and the right amount of protective glide. I don't rinse between passes, I merely wet my hand and work the remaining later into the stubble. My lather is very wet, much like straight razor lather.

2. 2 passes is almost always enough. I have in practice eliminated the earlier cleanup pass. I just wet the beard area and work in the remaining lather after the ATG pass to check for remaining stubble. The glide of the soap is enough to let me clean up anything left by using absolute zero pressure on the razor.

3. Prep is the key. I have taken to gather loose lather from the puck and smear it into my beard area after loading the brush. This guarantees a good exfoliation and control of the previous shave as well as maintaining the right hydration level.

During these 100 shaves I have had four weepers. The first one was due to a bump on the skin being hit by a fresh blade, the second was when one of our cats startled me during the shave and the two remaining were caused by me testing a subpar soap. As you can see the common denominator was, of course, user error.

I will continue using this Wilkinson blade until it doesn't cut any more as measured by the 24 h stubble or five o'clock shadow. I will not do excessive cleaning up after the two passes and all shaves are to be BBS, effortless and comfortable.

This might take a while... :001_smile

I will continue to report on a weekly basis in the Excalibur Club thread ( http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/431416-Excalibur-Club-Blade-Longevity-DE-SE-and-Injector ).

Enjoy your shaves. I certainly do enjoy mine, more so now than before blade stretching!

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I usually don't care about blade longevity, I'm really impressed. 100 shaves on the same blade may be a record. And getting BBS on every shave is pretty noteworthy in itself.

Did you do any type of maintenance on the blade between shaves? Stropping? Corking? Do you take it out and wipe it every day? Clean it with alcohol? There has to be something that accounts for this extraordinary blade life.

Are you planning to repeat this with a modern blade?

Although I usually don't care about blade longevity, I'm really impressed. 100 shaves on the same blade may be a record. And getting BBS on every shave is pretty noteworthy in itself.

Did you do any type of maintenance on the blade between shaves? Stropping? Corking? Do you take it out and wipe it every day? Clean it with alcohol? There has to be something that accounts for this extraordinary blade life.

Are you planning to repeat this with a modern blade?
100 shaves is not by any means a record. Member Turtle (Mick) did 105 shaves with 4 passes on a Wilkinson. I only did 2 pass shaves.

I do strop my blade on the shower towel 4 times on each side while it is in the razor.

My original intention was to try to do the same amount of shaves on a contemporary blade, but that might be a bit optimistic... :tongue_sm

You are a blade hero my friend. In any case your shaving practices are good and well established.
Bravo Bravissimo!

Very very interesting !!...I can really feel the difference in vintage 1960's American Gillette blades and todays blades,really a big difference in the feel of the cut, and the sheer comfort...

Very very interesting !!...I can really feel the difference in vintage 1960's American Gillette blades and todays blades,really a big difference in the feel of the cut, and the sheer comfort...

Which one feels better? The old or new one

Congrats. Obviously, you're using your intellect and actual experience to determine when to discard a blade instead of using an arbitrary number as many do. Blades do change after the first couple of shaves, and some interpret this change as the inability of the blade to still provide excellent shaves, and subsequently discard a perfectly functional blade. The usual reason is that blades are cheap, so why not just discard them. Similar to someone who uses a pencil and as soon as it loses its initial sharp point, discards it and gets a new sharp pencil because they are cheap. It's called wasteful.

Last edited:
Very cool congrats. You also saved a lot of money on blades
Yep, I expect to have saved enough to cover the cost of some of my razors by the next millennium: :tongue_sm

Aristocrats: US '34, #15, #16 and #22

But I do have extremely comfortable and effortless shaves... :001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
Great read and amazing mileage. I often alternate between vintage and current production DE premium blades like GSB, Feather, Polsilver, Astra, Perma-sharp or Personna blues and it still amazes me how different the feel and longevity the popular vintage blades like your English Wilkies or Gillette Stainless, Super Stainless (Spoilers), Gillette Platinum Plus or Schick Super Stainless blades are. I don't have the skill or patience to get 100+ shaves like you do but do consistently get 2.5 to 3 times the mileage with vintage.

Its well worth seeking them out before the vintage blade stocks eventually dry up.

Blades do change after the first couple of shaves, and some interpret this change as the inability of the blade to still provide excellent shaves, and subsequently discard a perfectly functional blade.
It was my case :) But, thanks to bosseb and other guys from Excalibur, I learn there exists something even harder than a human stubble :w00t:
I usually got 4-5 shaves on Sputnik blade, but now I have 17 shaves on a blade and there are couple more left... without losing any comfort on my shaves! So now I have blade stock for next three reincarnations at least :thumbup:

It was my case :) But, thanks to bosseb and other guys from Excalibur, I learn there exists something even harder than a human stubble :w00t:
I usually got 4-5 shaves on Sputnik blade, but now I have 17 shaves on a blade and there are couple more left... without losing any comfort on my shaves! So now I have blade stock for next three reincarnations at least :thumbup:
This is the key; we don't trade comfort for longevity. Enjoy your shaves. :thumbup1:

SO the much awaited thread is up.

It will be interesting to see how far this legendary blade takes you. I remember buying these blades from customs notified shops (essentially smuggled blades confiscated by customs) in the 80's when I was quite new to shaving. Compared to Indian made blades, they were insanely expensive but the shaves were sublime.

Now I feel almost guilty to have thrown away each blade after about 7-8 shaves.

SO the much awaited thread is up.

It will be interesting to see how far this legendary blade takes you. I remember buying these blades from customs notified shops (essentially smuggled blades confiscated by customs) in the 80's when I was quite new to shaving. Compared to Indian made blades, they were insanely expensive but the shaves were sublime.

Now I feel almost guilty to have thrown away each blade after about 7-8 shaves.
The cost for these is high, for sure. The problem however is the storage conditions and how that will affect the shave. I do not for this reason recommend hunting for these blades.

BTW one of my favorite contemporary blades is the Black Indian 7 O'clock Gillette. Lots of sweet shaves in those!

That's amazing! I would have never guessed that anyone would even think let alone get that many shaves from any blade! Hat's off to you sir and I enjoy reading your thread(s).

Also, very nice Aristocrat's!

I am not worthy! Today was shave #12 on my first Wilkinson Super Sword Edge. Thanks to Bosseb for all the advice and experience shared. I will be saving his summary review for future reference.

Top Bottom