What's new

Pimps vs. Gentlemen

Bolded: It only comes with the territory for people who place clothing on the list of things a gentleman has to have, or eventually grow into.

If you're saying that you decided to add your own definition to the word, I'm ok with that, but I've yet to see a definition, that would be widely accepted by the entire world, that even mentions clothing or appearance, much less places it at or near the top of the list.

I just can't imagine that there are enough pretentious people in this world that would refuse an act of Gentlemaness, or not use that word when describing someone who has done something nice for them, simply because the person didn't adhere to their clothing or grooming standards. This whole thing has an air of elitism to me.

For the record, I'm not specifically singling out anyone in my last sentence, it's just a statement.

Elitism is the point really don't you think? Gentlemen, true gentlemen are few and rare, rarer still these days. Time past was most men aspired to be gentleman, parents reinforced the message about gentlemanly behavior, peers reinforced the message, as did society and schools. Exhibiting the characteristics of behavior, speech, and dress in aspiration of becoming a gentleman, is not the same as being a gentleman. Trouble today is, most men would alter the definition of gentleman, substitute their interpretation of the behaviors, and their desire to behave, and dress as they see fit. Wear unkept clothing, display unkept grooming, speak in slang or other mannerism, call oneself a gentleman. But few are fooled save the claimant. That is why few are true gentlemen: they simply cannot or will not meet the standard; failing to understand the standard does not bend to suit their desire or approval. A classical man would know this from an early age.

Elitism is the point really don't you think? Gentlemen, true gentlemen are few and rare, rarer still these days. Time past was most men aspired to be gentleman, parents reinforced the message about gentlemanly behavior, peers reinforced the message, as did society and schools. Exhibiting the characteristics of behavior, speech, and dress in aspiration of becoming a gentleman, is not the same as being a gentleman. Trouble today is, most men would alter the definition of gentleman, substitute their interpretation of the behaviors, and their desire to behave, and dress as they see fit. Wear unkept clothing, display unkept grooming, speak in slang or other mannerism, call oneself a gentleman. But few are fooled save the claimant. That is why few are true gentlemen: they simply cannot or will not meet the standard; failing to understand the standard does not bend to suit their desire or approval. A classical man would know this from an early age.

Depends on which part of a gentleman definition you place the elite tag on. If you're saying the acts and kindness of a gentleman places them in an elite category, I would agree with that. If you're telling me that those same acts and kindness are subject and dependent on wardrobe choices, I can't agree with that. Who decides what is proper attire? In my world, a gentleman is defined by what he does regardless of how he chooses to look. Maybe i'm in the minority, but I feel far better about my definition than I do the alternative, which involves money whether we want to believe it or not. It's basically saying you can't be a gentleman unless you can afford it, or you have someone who you can borrow clothes from etc.

Depends on which part of a gentleman definition you place the elite tag on. If you're saying the acts and kindness of a gentleman places them in an elite category, I would agree with that. If you're telling me that those same acts and kindness are subject and dependent on wardrobe choices, I can't agree with that. Who decides what is proper attire? In my world, a gentleman is defined by what he does regardless of how he chooses to look. Maybe i'm in the minority, but I feel far better about my definition than I do the alternative, which involves money whether we want to believe it or not. It's basically saying you can't be a gentleman unless you can afford it, or you have someone who you can borrow clothes from etc.
Again it comes with the turf....I bet if you take a poll 90 % would agree that image and appearance are a factor.

Again it comes with the turf....I bet if you take a poll 90 % would agree that image and appearance are a factor.

Fair enough, I'll put up a yes no poll. I can't imagine it's going to be 90% like you say however. We're not a 90% in this thread.

All well said.

I too prefer the unpretentious and non-classist definition.

Neither dress nor act seperated from the other make a gentleman. Money does not make a gentleman, rather money is a tool used wisely by a gentleman.

The standard for for gentleman's apparel has been in place since 1552. Two of the rules are cited for the benfit of all present.

Wear not your clothes foul, ripped or dusty, but see see to it that they be brushed once every day at least; and take head that you approach not to any uncleaness.

In in your apparel, be modest and endeavor to accommodate nature rather than procure admiration. Keep to the fashion of your equals, such as are civil and orderly, with respect to times and places.

The standard for grooming has also been in place since 1552. Relevant point...

Keep nails clean and short, and your hands and teeth clean, yet without showing any concern for them.

The standards are present to guide and maintain gentlemen. They do not move or bend to the trends of time, nor the wills of man.

Neither dress nor act seperated from the other make a gentleman. Money does not make a gentleman, rather money is a tool used wisely by a gentleman.

The standard for for gentleman's apparel has been in place since 1552. Two of the rules are cited for the benfit of all present.

Wear not your clothes foul, ripped or dusty, but see see to it that they be brushed once every day at least; and take head that you approach not to any uncleaness.

In in your apparel, be modest and endeavor to accommodate nature rather than procure admiration. Keep to the fashion of your equals, such as are civil and orderly, with respect to times and places.

The standard for grooming has also been in place since 1552. Relevant point...

Keep nails clean and short, and your hands and teeth clean, yet without showing any concern for them.

The standards are present to guide and maintain gentlemen. They do not move or bend to the trends of time, nor the wills of man.

Please post a link to these rules and standards.

Neither dress nor act seperated from the other make a gentleman. .

I disagree, I have no problem separating the act from the money.

Money does not make a gentleman, rather money is a tool used wisely by a gentleman.

That has a nice ring to it, but what you're essentially saying is poor people are excluded from the term Gentleman.

All I'm saying is, that word gets thrown around this site quite regularly. If we're going to insist on a list of rules or guidelines that involve money and hygiene , I imagine we're going to have to start vetting people to make sure they live up to those monetary and cleanliness values so we don't mistakenly use it wrong, no?

And these rules and standards could of course never become obsolete.

Reminds me that next time I travel by boat I need to keep a close eye on the Irish, because they're likely to steal my luggage according to a 19th century Swedish manual on emigration.

That has a nice ring to it, but what you're essentially saying is poor people are excluded from the term Gentleman.

All I'm saying is, that word gets thrown around this site quite regularly. If we're going to insist on a list of rules or guidelines that involve money and hygiene , I imagine we're going to have to start vetting people to make sure they live up to those monetary and cleanliness values so we don't mistakenly use it wrong, no?

Well I guess I'm out. Then again, I never considered myself a gentleman in the first place.

Well I guess I'm out. Then again, I never considered myself a gentleman in the first place.

Don't worry, I won't judge you on what you wear. We can just set around in or crappy cloths, drink with dirty hands, and call each other renaissance men :biggrin:

And these rules and standards could of course never become obsolete.

Reminds me that next time I travel by boat I need to keep a close eye on the Irish, because they're likely to steal my luggage according to a 19th century Swedish manual on emigration.
Some things are eternal.
*ducks*

Il Gala, 1552, Giovanni Della Casa. Plagerized by Jesuits in Bien-seance de la Conversation entre les Hommes, 1595. Writings that formed the basis of civilized behavior among gentlemen for nearly a half century. The educational foundation for a code of conduct on which even modern day preparatory schools are based.

Disagreable though this be to some does not change the outcome. There has always been, and will always be a hierarchy among men in societies through the ages. Nought to do with money, as mentioned previously, money is a tool, a means to an end.

Quaralsome discussions serve to neither educate the ignorant, or pacify the foolish. (No offense given, do not take offense).

Il Gala, 1552, Giovanni Della Casa. Plagerized by Jesuits in Bien-seance de la Conversation entre les Hommes, 1595. Writings that formed the basis of civilized behavior among gentlemen for nearly a half century. The educational foundation for a code of conduct on which even modern day preparatory schools are based.

Disagreable though this be to some does not change the outcome. There has always been, and will always be a hierarchy among men in societies through the ages. Nought to do with money, as mentioned previously, money is a tool, a means to an end.

Quaralsome discussions serve to neither educate the ignorant, or pacify the foolish. (No offense given, do not take offense).

No offense taken, I enjoy the conversations. I have done some Googling and come across this

https://becomingmadame.wordpress.co...vre-from-the-french-to-washington-and-beyond/

My question is, would a person be considered a gentleman if he broke even one of those rules? If the answer is yes, then a man could still dress the best he can, clean his nails the best he can and still be called a gentleman, even if it doesn't match those rules specifically. If the answer is no, then that's an awful lot of rules to have to pass just to exist the house, or go out in public, much less refer too on a site where none of us can even remotely say with any accuracy if that word is indeed being used correctly when referring to a certain individual. I don't think we use that word in a literal sense as it pertains to all of those rules on this site. I think we use it as a compliment to men who behave and act in a certain way regardless of clothing and grooming, because I've never heard someone ask about it before using that term.

I'd hate to have to adhere to those rules without bending a few of them, and have to refrain from calling Marco a Gentleman because I found out he cut bread with a greasy knife,leaned in too closely to talk to me, sneezed too loud, talked while he yawned, etc.etc.

Don't worry, I won't judge you on what you wear. We can just set around in or crappy cloths, drink with dirty hands, and call each other renaissance men :biggrin:

Id like to be in on that. Sounds like a much better time!

While I put in a lot of effort to have good dealings with everyone I come across, I really don't care that much about clothes and appearances. It ain't 1920 anymore.

But this is irrelevant since we're are not seen on computers screen ...we just post and type in gentle manly way and nobody ever sees us.

Even sports leagues have made a policy on how to dress appropriately.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_dress_code

Stern's dress code stated that all players must dress in business or conservative attire while arriving and departing during a scheduled game, on the bench while injured, and when conducting official NBA business (press interviews, charity events, etc.). The new dress code banned fashions most often associated with hip-hop culture, specifically: jerseys, jeans, hats, do-rags, t-shirts, large jewelry, sneakers and Timberland style boots.[3]

I agree. I am 23 and remember when my mother pulled me aside when a small child and told me what was needed to be a gentleman. She said the reason she loved my father was because he was a gentleman. ever since that time I have always wanted to be a gentleman. I hope your son will walk the path less chosen and be a gentleman.

Top Bottom