What's new

DE Starter Kit

Hi guys,

I've been DE shaving for about a year and a half and i am really enjoying it. I've noticed that my brother in law has started asking me more and more questions, and seems to find interest in my hobby (especially my straight razor).

He hates shaving and needs to be clean shaven for work (he uses carts now). I thought it might be nice to make him a de starter kit for his birthday and see if I can convert him.

I'm looking for suggestions about what to include. My budget is $70-80. I would appreciate any and all imput.

Thanks alot,
Matt

Vintage Gillette Tech - $20
Semogue or Omega brush - $10-20
Proraso green croap - $10
Blade sampler or just 15 Astra SP's - $12
Aqua Velva Ice Blue - $5

His shaves - priceless!

Alternative is starter kit at Garry's Sample Shop for $35. Just google it. He is a well respected member here.

Kudos for reaching another convert.

If time is not of the essence, you can search eBay sellers, such as heisheng1983, for positively reviewed slight-defect badger brushes, even silvertips, for $5.00 or so. Arko cream from eBay, $4.50. Razors are tough to keep in budget, but you can find Weishi variants like Baili for well less than $10.00; slightly more if including a stand. Turkish and Bulgarian sellers have handmade plated copper lather bowls for $13.00 or so; just search eBay, Etsy, or even Google for "copper shaving bowl" or one of the suppliers, such as Gartbnx at eBay. You likely have plenty of unopened cellophane-sealed 5-packs of blades that you can throw in. If I have added correctly, you are still around $35-$45 for an impressive custom gift set, the exact likes of which can be found nowhere. You can throw in options such as pre-shave oil, $8.00 for American Crew, or AS balm. You may also use your remaining wiggle room to upgrade the razor and stand. You may be overstocked on some item, such as shave cream, which you could throw in just like you would for a PIF gift if you need to make budgetary room somewhere else.
Once you have it together, all you need is a gift box from Target or a card shop, some tissue paper, and wrap.

Last edited:
With a budget of $70-80, a good starter would be:

Merkur 23C Long Handle: $30
Blade Sample Pack: $5
Omega 10049 Brush: $9
Arko Shaving Cream: $3.50
Booster Polar Ice Aftershave: $12

That totals to about $60. Saved you some money!

With a budget of $70-80, a good starter would be:

Merkur 23C Long Handle: $30
Blade Sample Pack: $5
Omega 10049 Brush: $9
Arko Shaving Cream: $3.50
Booster Polar Ice Aftershave: $12

That totals to about $60. Saved you some money!
+1, great set up!

IMO...
Lord L6: $10
Omega 10048: $10
Cella Tub: $12
25 Blade Sampler: $14
Old Spice AS: $8

Total $56. All prices were found on Amazon so I believe you could get free shipping without a Prime membership since it is over $25.

Great suggestions above...only thing I would suggest is a non offensive soap. Proraso green is a good choice and available everywhere. I'd avoid arko because there is a chance he will hate it....its just to polarizing and you don't want to turn him off shaving because of a soap.

Van der Hagen starter kit $25 with a Weishi TTO (10 Dorcos included) for $8 shipped.

$33 and you're off and running.

Or, follow member Fatboy (above) but substitute Proraso green and save $2 at $52.

Lord L6 $10
VDH Deluxe soap, it's easy to find locally usually (where I am anyway) so he doesn't have to order online $2-3
Generic witch hazel, and after shave balm incase he screws up badly and feels the witch hazel sting $10 (probably combined)
Omega boar brush $10-15
Salsa bowl $2
100pack Astra SP, or other 100pack let him get used to shaving instead of throwing various blades at him from the start $10

And possibly a stand for the brush and razor just to keep things nice looking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom