What's new

Bulletproof Coffee

Not sure if this is where it goes, but has anyone here heard of this Bulletproof Coffee thing? It seems like crap to me. Supposedly you put 2 tblspoons of BUTTER into your coffee and you lose weight. Google it for your own info if interested. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Yes I've looked into a bit. From what I can tell there's a bit more to it. You're supposed to use real butter from grass fed cows like Kerry Gold Irish butter so that you get the good fats without any other additives. I think you're also supposed to use other oils such as coconut oil. It's basically a 400-500 calorie cup of coffee with good fats. I think this is your breakfast though and you don't eat anything else until lunch. I haven't full researched it, but I think it's basically intermittent fasting where you don't eat for about 16 hours usually from 8 pm at night until around noon the next day. In this case though you get a relatively high calorie cup of coffee as breakfast. I haven't read all about this yet though so I may have some of the info wrong.

I will say I have tried putting some Kerry Gold Irish butter in my coffee (Probably 1/2 tablespoon) and it does take out most of the bitterness. I generally drink my coffee black so this is kind of nice for me.

I've done it off and on for a couple of years. Takes a little getting used to, and can be disastrous if done incorrectly. Keys to success:

1. Unsalted, Grass-fed butter (Kerrygold, Anchor, etc). I use about 2 tablespoons
2. High quality freshly ground, freshly brewed coffee. Part of this whole thing is to reduce inflammation and toxins, so adherents are all about finding single origin wet processed beans
3. MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) or Coconut oil. I use 1 tablespoon
4. Combine and blend vigoursly (I use a Bullet)

When combined with a Paleo diet (you don't want to combine this much fat with a bunch of processed sugars and/or carbs) and intermittent fasting it has been claimed to help with fat loss. This has certainly been my experience. I like my joe strong enough to stand a spoon in, so this also has a tendency to slow or take the edge off the caffeine absorption (for me).

Interesting article. I think they are a bit overly harsh especially in claiming it's all about selling overpriced supplies. I agree that Dave is selling high and most likely over priced supplies on his site, but this came long after he started his bulletproof coffee and diet. When I first ran across him and bulletproof he wasn't selling anything and just had a blog. When it became hot he decided to cash in by selling the supplies he promotes. I think this was a mistake as it does give the impression that it's all about the selling of the stuff. It turned me off of reading his blog.

As for the coffee - I tried it. Didn't like it (I like my coffee black). I did decide to try the concept so I just are the butter instead of mixing it into my coffee. I really didn't notice any difference so I didn't stick with it. But I wouldn't doubt that it works for some people. The biggest thing if introduced to me is the concept of intermittent fasting and it broke me out if that mindset that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Your first meal is the most important but it doesn't have to be breakfast :).

You lose weight easy enough if you keep Calories in < calories out, eat healthy, avoid excess sugar and carbs, and toss out the processed foods. Oh, and exercise. America is FAR too lazy.

But what would I know? I've only lost 50lbs in the past year, and changing my life and diet and how I eat I don't get hunger cravings. Sugar and carbs are the enemy, in excess.

You lose weight easy enough if you keep Calories in < calories out, eat healthy, avoid excess sugar and carbs, and toss out the processed foods. Oh, and exercise. America is FAR too lazy.

But what would I know? I've only lost 50lbs in the past year, and changing my life and diet and how I eat I don't get hunger cravings. Sugar and carbs are the enemy, in excess.

+1
If you are trying to go from good shape to excellent shape, it is worth a try. For the average Joe, you would be better served by cleaning up your diet as a whole.

I agree with everything except the calories in < calories out. I'm not saying calories are not important, but the body is a much more complicated system than that simple equation. Haven't you ever known that person who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight? I think the calories in < calories out mentality does a disservice to most people as it puts their attention and focus on the wrong thing. It's the mentality that has someone buying a Diet Coke to offset the slice of pie for dessert.

If think if someone follows your other points of avoiding excess sugar and carbs and processed food, that they likely won't need to watch calories. Their body will tell them when they need food or when they are full. The processed food messes up that system and so we don't get good signals from our body.

My other problem with the calories equation is that it implies that you can exercise to make up for your poor eating. It doesn't work that way. Excerise may burn calories, but it also causes hunger which tends to increase intake. I don't discourage exercise as it is needed for good health and to help your body run like it needs to, which does help you lose weight easier. But when it comes to weight loss, excercise is secondary. I know plenty of people who tried exercise alone and, most failed. While they did feel better, and they did lose a few pounds, they did not see significant weight loss, and they either stopped the exercise or they got the message and changed their diet as well. If exercise worked, I think more people would stick with it because they are getting positive feedback. Common wisdom says people stop exercising because they are lazy, but I propose that they stop because they are not getting the results they expect - Weight loss.

My personal story? Lost 30 lbs in 6 months and have kept in off for over a year after that. I didn't count one calorie. My plan was simple (but not necessarily easy). No sugar, no grain, nothing processed for 45 days. I avoided nightshades, legumes and most dairy (butter was the exception) as well to make sure I wasn't dealing with a food allergy. After the 45 days, my body learned how to work without these foods and was now able to send me correct signals about what it needed, and I was learning to listen. At that point I focused on keeping sugar to a minimum and to monitor my reactions to problematic food, to be sure I didnt have any sensitivities. So what did I eat during this radical period? meat, vegetables, fruit, and butter. Crazy, huh? It actually resembled most of the meals at my grandparents house if you take away their rolls and dessert.

I should mention that I did not excercise at all for the first 6 months, beyond what I was already doing before, which was pretty sedentary. I'm now exercising more, although not enough, I will admit.

Please forgive the long post. I get a little passionate about how wrong I believe most of the common wisdom is on food and diet. Don't even get me started on low-fat or whole grains :)

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Bacon and coffee are my rewards for getting out of bed in the morning.

Please forgive the long post. I get a little passionate about how wrong I believe most of the common wisdom is on food and diet. Don't even get me started on low-fat or whole grains :)

Christian, my thoughts are pretty much in line with yours. We even had a Paleo group on B&B for a while until the social groups were done away with. I however have stopped wasting my time trying to convince others, or to justify my decisions.

Bacon and coffee are my rewards for getting out of bed in the morning.

Christian, my thoughts are pretty much in line with yours. We even had a Paleo group on B&B for a while until the social groups were done away with. I however have stopped wasting my time trying to convince others, or to justify my decisions.

I hate to even say Paleo any more as everyone has their pre conceived notions on what Paleo is, and most of them are wrong, or they don't understand my modified Paleo or that you can even modify a diet. They treat it like I've joined a cult and can't deviate from it's beliefs. :).

Now I just say I focus on eating real food ( i.e. non-processed ) and what my body is telling me (what to eat/when to eat/ what not to eat). I still get funny looks but at least they are still a bit open minded. Once they label you- they are done listening and move on ( unless they are like minded). To be fair, I would do the same thing if someone told me they were Vegetarian. I just don't want to talk diet with them. Vegan is usually okay, as they have similar beliefs on food quality, etc. I like to call Vegan "Non-meat Paleo". :).

I've heard about the butter thing; but, since butter is made from cream, why not just use cream?

Ed
Agreed. This point was sort of implied in the article but not very strongly. That if one is using grass fed cows, organic feed, no rbGH stimulation, etc, then why isn't using cream close enough to bullet/butter coffee??

If you are in LA: A high-tech Bulletproof Coffee shop is opening in Los Angeles
proxy.php

Agreed. This point was sort of implied in the article but not very strongly. That if one is using grass fed cows, organic feed, no rbGH stimulation, etc, then why isn't using cream close enough to bullet/butter coffee??

Butter vs cream - As I understand the logic.... This is how I understand Dave's theory - it, not necessarily how I think it works, so don't attack me if you disagree :). If I'm stating things wrong from Dave's theory please feel free to correct me. I'm doing this from memory

#1). The idea of bulletproof coffee is to give your body some really high quality straight fat so that your body does not break its fasting and leave a ketogenic state. It's a way to make intermittent fasting easier (the fat is supposed to dull the hunger so you can comfortably make it 18 hours without a meal.). Cream has enough not-fat qualities that it will break the fast.
#2). This is not any butter. We are talking grass fed butter. If your not familiar with the discussions on the benefits of grass fed butter, I'll leave it to you to go search (it's not hard to find).
#3). Dave really likes to limit allergy causing foods and toxic foods from his bulletproof diet. Dairy is considered a common food allergy. Butter, while dairy, has pretty low levels of the allergy causing compounds, so is considered fine except for those with severe sensitivity

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Butter vs cream - As I understand the logic.... This is how I understand Dave's theory - it, not necessarily how I think it works, so don't attack me if you disagree :). If I'm stating things wrong from Dave's theory please feel free to correct me. I'm doing this from memory

#1). The idea of bulletproof coffee is to give your body some really high quality straight fat so that your body does not break its fasting and leave a ketogenic state. It's a way to make intermittent fasting easier (the fat is supposed to dull the hunger so you can comfortably make it 18 hours without a meal.). Cream has enough not-fat qualities that it will break the fast.
#2). This is not any butter. We are talking grass fed butter. If your not familiar with the discussions on the benefits of grass fed butter, I'll leave it to you to go search (it's not hard to find).
#3). Dave really likes to limit allergy causing foods and toxic foods from his bulletproof diet. Dairy is considered a common food allergy. Butter, while dairy, has pretty low levels of the allergy causing compounds, so is considered fine except for those with severe sensitivity

I tried to feed my butter some grass, but it just sat there and got soft :biggrin:

Top Bottom