What's new

Wrong size TGN knot for this handle?

I bought a TGN 22mm finest knot for an olive wood handle that I got from bethlehem products on eBay. I've read that a little space around the base of the knot is good. Glue can fill the void. What I have seems like too much space though. In the pic, it's obviously resting off to one side, but you get the idea. Is a 22mm a good size for this handle or should I exchange it for a 24?

$20150126_191845.jpg

I'm in the middle of sanding off the finish that was on it. There were tiny bubbles in the grooves and I thought the handle deserved better. I saw somewhere on here somebody used Tru Oil and I thought it looked awesome. That's what I'm doing!

I would definitely go with a bigger knot.

I bought a TGN 22mm finest knot for an olive wood handle that I got from bethlehem products on eBay. I've read that a little space around the base of the knot is good. Glue can fill the void. What I have seems like too much space though. In the pic, it's obviously resting off to one side, but you get the idea. Is a 22mm a good size for this handle or should I exchange it for a 24?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
What is the hole size? Looks a little big to me, but how does it look when the knot is fully seated?

The hole is supposed to be 24mm if I remember correctly. I figured I'd run the 22 & have 1mm of space around it. I already ordered a 24 last night. Hopefully that gives me a better fit for this handle.

The hole is supposed to be 24mm if I remember correctly. I figured I'd run the 22 & have 1mm of space around it. I already ordered a 24 last night. Hopefully that gives me a better fit for this handle.

I'm finding that there is an incredible amount of variability in these hand made knots, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if your 20mm knot runs a bit undersized. The other thing I'm seeing is the old rule of thumb that you buy a -2mm knot for a ferrule ID (22mm knot for a 24mm ferrule, for example) isn't always holding true - I've seen several that are +4 or more, which means they won't seat down far enough in the ferrule to prevent rocking or to deliver backbone.

I would suggest when ordering to include your ferrule inner diameter and seating depth measurements in the notes so they can hand select the knot they ship to you.

I'm finding that there is an incredible amount of variability in these hand made knots, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if your 20mm knot runs a bit undersized. The other thing I'm seeing is the old rule of thumb that you buy a -2mm knot for a ferrule ID (22mm knot for a 24mm ferrule, for example) isn't always holding true - I've seen several that are +4 or more, which means they won't seat down far enough in the ferrule to prevent rocking or to deliver backbone.

I would suggest when ordering to include your ferrule inner diameter and seating depth measurements in the notes so they can hand select the knot they ship to you.

Good advice. I'll remember that next time for sure.

Top Bottom