What's new

army speed shaving

friend of mine was telling me that when he was in the army he had to be completely clean shaven and had about 1 minute 45 seconds to get it done everyday. if you HAD to shave that fast, theoretically, how would you do it?

Same as I do now, only a little faster. I guarantee that there are no 1:45 BBS. A quick lather with canned goo and one pass.

When I first went to basic I didn't feel I needed to shave everyday. However my Drill Sergeants calmly and politely (haha, yea right) explained things from their point of view. But we were given one minute in the shower stall with a Drill manning a stopwatch. We usually shaved while in line for the shower.

When I was in Navy boot camp (1969) our DI told us to shower and shave at night. Those who couldn't pass the morning inspection with a night shave had to get up early and shave in the morning. I was one of those lucky morning shavers, but I don't think we had such a short time frame; I think the night watch woke us up about 30 minutes before the rest of the company. If I remember correctly, we still showered at night.

friend of mine was telling me that when he was in the army he had to be completely clean shaven and had about 1 minute 45 seconds to get it done everyday. if you HAD to shave that fast, theoretically, how would you do it?

This is going to get filled with a bunch of "no $*** there I was stories" so be warned.
Outside of initial entry training(basic training) and maybe some crazy selection you have all the time in the world to poop, shower and shave, if you get up early enough.

We had two minutes, and that included getting dressed and your bed made. If you couldn't do it in two minutes you had less time the next morning.
How we did it you ask? Well you sleep on top of your sheets and in your cloths, and shave at night. In the field was the only time I slept with covers.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
1960 U. S. Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri. In formation at dawn dry shaved with a nickel Gillette Tech; Didn't take long and passed inspection. It was my first DE shave!

I used to set the alarm on my watch a few minutes before the TIs showed up, so I had plenty of time to use the bathroom, shave (with a disposable and foam), and brush my teeth. And as Thematthatter said, it was only in basic training when you're not given much time.

sure remember sleeping on top of the sheets to save time. led to double pneumonia during basic. spit blood, feinted on parade ground and all I got was aspirin and cough syrup and a threat to hold me back two weeks. yea the good ole days

Had to do that in the field once. Less than a minute. Water bottle to wet the face. Shave gel all over. Quick and hard passes with a cartridge razor.

Did is the job. Not 100% pleasant but hey! What's a man to do?

I do remember having to get creative sometimes during basic. I'd usually get up a little early to get ready in time or if I had guard duty during the night, I'd shave and take a shower before going back to bed. If I didn't get up until they woke us up, it was about 2 minutes to get ready which is pretty much impossible. It took 30 seconds to run to the bathroom and back.

I remember having to shave in the dark with cold water and a Bic disposable in the field more than a few times. Talk about razor burn!

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
sure remember sleeping on top of the sheets to save time. led to double pneumonia during basic. spit blood, feinted on parade ground and all I got was aspirin and cough syrup and a threat to hold me back two weeks. yea the good ole days
Same here; After many trips to sick bay and sent back with with aspirin and cough syrup with diagnosis of URI (upper respiratory infection) was standing in reveille formation and woke up in an ambulance going to the hospital. Good ole days indeed!

Top Bottom