What's new

Wtg shave yields nothing.

Hi all I am a newbie to straight razor shaving and like usual I get basically little to no hair removal from going against the grain and even applies to when I DE shave also. I was wondering if anyone else has to shave xtg first the atg?

The weird thing is even with a DE razor I get basically nothing from wtg? I must have weird hair growth ? I had little to no irritation on both straight shaves and bbs also. My dad was a union barber so he is full of techniques but even he has to shave xtg and then atg.

Welcome to B&B Ynguns251: if your new to S.R shaving I would not worry about ATG passes now. Concentrate on getting smooth irritation free shaves going WTG an XTG. It takes around one hundred shaves before you begin to feel confident using a S.R. These three videos on YouTube helped me tremendously. Search for the Lynn Abrams introduction to S.R. shaving video, the three pass shave video by DRMATT357 and Chimensch Shave video.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If your DE WTG pass also leads to little hair removal, I would not worry too much about the WTG result from your straight. But I would recommend you still do it, even if only to get used to holding and using the razor.

Sounds like a plan. I had a good shave yesterday and went wtg then atg. I have a darn hard time on my upper lip.

Sounds like a plan. I had a good shave yesterday and went wtg then atg. I have a darn hard time on my upper lip.

Nearly everyone has a problem in that vicinity, so you're in good company here. Lip and chin areas tend to be the most difficult areas to shave with a straight or a DE. I can do it decently, but I don't like it. A lot of men (myself included) just grow a goatee and call it a day.

I routinely skip the WTG pass when shaving every day. I start out XTG, then go ATG. If I have more than 24 hours growth, I start out WTG. After some experience straight shaving, I noticed that my shaves were so close, that my 24 hour stubble growth was about equivalent to what I previously had left after my WTG pass. If my stubble gets longer (and softer), then I benefit from an initial WTG pass. One must have a very good edge to do a 2-pass shave XTG/ATG.

Top Bottom