What's new

Bent tooth a problem?

Title sort of says it....Does a slightly askew tooth on a long comb DE affect shaving at all? It's not so bent that it's touching the adjacent tooth.....It's the the old NEW LC I just acquired from my pops, so I'm excited to use it and hope it's not messed up.

T

One bent tooth, not touching the blade, should not effect the shave. DO NOT TRY TO STRAIGHTEN THE TOOTH YOUSELF! Learned that the hard way. I was also warned. Didn't listen. Bad things ensued. Predictable, but bad. Also makes you feel really stupid.

Yeah, one crooked tooth shouldn't affect the shave. And definitely don't try to straighten it, as a missing tooth is not good.

A bent tooth in and of itself should not be a problem. However, a bent tooth means the razor was dropped or knocked around a bit in its life. Load a blade and make sure the blade doesn't warp or wrinkle. The impact that bent the tooth could have also bent the base plate.

Also make sure the bent "tooth" is bent downward. If it's upward then it will not be comfortable. I had a few with bent teeth and they shaved just fine. I can't say enough about Captain Murphy's dentistry work though. He has fixed several of my razors teeth. If you want to get it fixed go ahead and check with him and he might be able to get it straightened out for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also make sure the bent tooth is bent downward. If it's upward then it will not be comfortable. I had a few with bent teeth and they shaved just fine. I can't say enough about Captain Murphy's dentistry work though. He has fixed several of my razors teeth. If you want to get it fixed go ahead and check with him and he might be able to get it straightened out for you.

A family razor? Get it an appointment with the Captain.

I use a New with a bent tooth and it doesn't affect the shave at all. The bent tooth is beside the outside tooth which helps. Not sure if a bent tooth in the middle of the blade would be different

Amen, brother!

One bent tooth, not touching the blade, should not effect the shave. DO NOT TRY TO STRAIGHTEN THE TOOTH YOUSELF! Learned that the hard way. I was also warned. Didn't listen. Bad things ensued. Predictable, but bad. Also makes you feel really stupid.

Thanks everybody! Feel much better about it. I've got my first sampler set of blades coming in the mail this week (I've been able to temper my excitement and not spend $8 on Rite-aid blades) and I'll be trying it out as soon as they get here. Granted, I'm a newbie DE/wet-shaver in general, so may or may not be able to tell anyways, but from your descriptions sounds like it should be fine. I also might have to hunt down this Captain character anyways.... Thanks again!

Top Bottom