What's new

The Badger vs The Boar.

So, I'm new to the wetshaving world and just love it. I didn't get the best shave today but ill learn... n e way.. I have a pure Badger from AOS.. but I also was told Omega 10066 Boar hair is also a great brush that I'm wanting to get... Is a boar hair recommended for a beginner, does it even matter? Also, are primarily badgers better for bowl lathering and boar better for face lathering? or does that also not matter?

It all comes down to personal preference. No rules, though some combinations work better than others. When you use the search mode you will find lots (too much?) of info on this subject.

Btw, the Omega 10066 is indeed a nice brush....

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!

The Omega 10066, and its more colorful siblings, the 10065, are classic boar brushes. I personally own the 10065 in green, and it was one of my first brushes many moons ago when I too was a beginner.

There are no hard and fast rules about which types of hair are better under different circumstances, and it really just comes down to personal preference. The 10066, however, will definitely feel quite different from your AoS pure badger.

The only issue I would note is that boar brushes generally need to "break-in" before that can be fully appreciated. The break in process entails use and drying cycles where the tips of the boar bristles gradually split over a few weeks and the brush becomes much softer. Unlike most badgers, it is unfair to judge a boar brush until it is fully broken-in.

I owe many Omega boars 48 and 49 mainly.probably my dad gave me this imprint. no regrets at all but in the future I don't know if I sh switch to badger... :))

The 66 is a nice brush. I have a 65 in red. Good all round brush. Don't forget boars need a nice long soak in water before you use them. I soak mine while having a shower. They work very well with harder soaps.

For me as a beginner the issue was poor lather. I just could not make good lather with a bowl and various brushes. I got some Stirling soap, and via some videos did some palm lathers until I understood what good lather is. That really helped. So, I switched to face lathering so that I could feel the lather build properly on my skin. Based on that I think the 10066 is a fabulous brush, and great for face lathering. So, I stick to boar brushes with that knot simply because they work great for face lathering, which is the only way I do it now. I have the same knot as the 10066 with two other wood handled brushes from Omega. I'm sure with my better experience now I could probably lather in a bowl with a badger, but I stick to face lathering with an Omega boar for the feel. I get much better shaves now simply because the lather is right. Omega boars break in very quickly too. Just a few shaves and the boars start to perform well.

I've been wet shaving for about 6 weeks. Based on extensive reading here and other online sources, I chose an Omega 49 boar. It's very large, but was cheap, lathered my soaps and croaps well, and is breaking in to be nice and soft, but with real backbone. I added a 10066 for $6.95 and it's the 49's little brother, and I'm more able to direct the lather more precisely to where it's needed. Both are excellent.
I now have a Semogue SOC badger and a Plisson synthetic, acquired after I knew I'd stick with wet shaving. They are a little softer (the Plisson much, much softer) and work well too, and have a different feel. I'm happy to be able to switch off, depending on my whims. All are pleasures to use, but the Omegas are incredible deals.

Top Bottom