What's new

Feather=rough shave.lots of irritation?

So, although I've been shaving for quite some time now, today was my first try with a feather. Knowing it is extremely sharp, I loaded it into he most mild razor I have, a flare tip SS. Man, what a rough shave. Not so much during the shave, but after. I have the first irritation I've had since starting my wet shaving journey. The only thing besides the feather that was new was adding TOBS shaving shop with my arko (3017ing). I doubt the cream caused it. I have a pretty solid technique and up until yesterday was shaving daily for about two weeks.
I put that alum to my face and only then remembered what that burn can be. Lately it was a tingle at worst, until today. I'm familiar with the razor too..
I felt it during the shave so didn't do my normal touch up.
Here's the ironic part... On my chin line, the place I always have stubble left, there's none. Haha go figure.
Maybe I'll save the feathers for when I let my beard grow a couple days, I dunno. Not a good first experience. I have over 100 of them, so I want them to work.
Should I just go back to my Astra's and Personna labs, along with the rest of my other blades, until another time?
Should I have corked the blade first?
I thought I was doing so well for so long, and then this.... I gotta be honest, I'm kinda sad... :-(

My first feather shave was like that. And it was a throw away after 1 shave, couldn't get another shave out of it.
next blade I used was smooth and sharp. As good, but no better than my Astras. Except, I couldn't get more than 2 shaves out of it...whereas other blades I can get 3-5 shaves.
not a fan, at least not at their premium prices.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've shaved with a Feather for the last two days (for the first time, as well), and they were pretty rough shaves. I didn't have quite the irritation you speak of, but that alum sure did sting. In the end, I got a very nice shave, but no better that what I can do with a more comfortable blade (or not even as good, really).

I fully admit that it may be my technique, but I don't know. We aren't the only guys around here that don't like Feathers. It's the ol' YMMV. In a while, I'll see how things are with the other couple of Feathers I have, but I won't be in a hurry. As mentioned, the price point does not exactly motivate me to spend a lot of time to get it to work when I have others that already do.

Come back to them - your technique likely still needs work. They are sharp blades, and too much pressure will result in taking off skin, as it is with any sharp blade. Likely the blades you've been using have been a little less sharp, and more forgiving of technique issues.

Another alternative - stick with the Feathers, and use them to improve your technique. You'll probably improve quickly :).

I don't have a problem with Feather. In fact I like them.

I have heard on the forum that some have issues with them and solve it by corking the blade
for the first shave.

I have had the same experience with Feathers on the first shave. They really are sharp and require no pressure. It's not that they don't give a bbs shave, it's just that they "exfoliate" a lot. I now cork every new blade and find that it improves the shave in terms of irritation. For me, Feathers smooth out and deliver the gentler shave on day 3-4 as they've dulled a little.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Come back to them - your technique likely still needs work. They are sharp blades, and too much pressure will result in taking off skin, as it is with any sharp blade. Likely the blades you've been using have been a little less sharp, and more forgiving of technique issues.

Another alternative - stick with the Feathers, and use them to improve your technique. You'll probably improve quickly :).
Very well said, James. +1! The first shave with a different (new to you) blade does not predict future results.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Oh, I most certainly will come back to them. I'm not at all turned off. I'm just not in a hurry to make a more expensive blade work when I can get BBS with a less expensive blade that leaves me more comfortable. I want to get to know these dadgum things, but I'll take my time.

I'm an every shave feather blade user and only got irritation when I tried them in different razors, (particularly my WSC Standard razor) but other than that I love them. I'm putting them on hold for now, as I want to give other blades a shot. Just got a new batch of personna lab blues and Personna Israeli reds. Gonna see how those work out

I learned to wet shave on a Feather, and I didn't know any better until I tried other blades. That said, I'm starting to enjoy "comfortable" instead of just "not a bloodbath," so I see what you're saying. I still think my kitchen knives are sharper than the Derby that came with my R41, but YMMV.

Oh, I most certainly will come back to them. I'm not at all turned off. I'm just not in a hurry to make a more expensive blade work when I can get BBS with a less expensive blade that leaves me more comfortable. I want to get to know these dadgum things, but I'll take my time.

My experience is similar to yours. I have 130 Feathers in the drawer... and now I'm finding that I prefer a blade that's less sharp. I'm very happy with an Astra or Personna blade with 3+ shaves on it.

All in all, it's a good thing, as you can buy 3X the number of Astras for the price of 100 Feathers. I may just try corking the blades I have now and switch when my current supply is done.

one bad shave with a feather doesnt predict all future shaves will result the same way...both my razors are loaded with feathers,as they give me the smoothest irritation free shave,but not all blades are for everyone...i have on occasion found a burr on a couple blades,over the years but only on occasion..if your technique is solid and you recently switched from astras you could try one side of your face with an astra and the other with a fresh feather,its no guarntee but it will give you a good starting point in determining,if the feather is just to harsh,which very well could be the case only way to find out is give it a go,i have however discovered something of interest with me ..tonight i decided to do a cold water shave,i normally use hot water,and with great results..but i discovered an even smoother shave tonite...super close great feel,very pleased..maybe you could try that also and see what it lands you ...good luck and keep us posted

This is what you should do in my opinion: Keep those Feathers and shave with whatever blade works the best for you. After a couple months try a Feather again and see how it works out.

Longtime ago when I started with DE shaving I used Astra SP's, I bought 200 of them. Couple weeks later I tried Permasharps and they're better compared to the Astras. First I wanted to get rid of the Astra's but I decided to keep them. Today I have shaved with an Astra SP and I got a full BBS like usual, they're great and I love them. I'm glad I didn't give them away.

I also had this with my first open comb razor, FaTip Piccolo. When I had my first shave I didn't like it at all but I still kept it. After a couple months I gave it an another try and now this is the razor I always use.

What I'm trying to say is that if something doesn't work for you just keep it till later, if you use it after a while there is a chance it will work for you. This depends on many factors but I guess one of them is experience.

Feathers are the sharpest razors currently available, but that doesn't mean they're the best.

Not a good first experience. I have over 100 of them, so I want them to work.
If you would just have been inside of EU, you would have gotten your problem solved. I would have been happily swapping my GSB or Polsilver for Feather. Probably you could find someone inside of USA willing to trade. It is not costing much to ship 100 blades unless it goes over the Atlantic.

Yes, Feather are more rough than many other blades. This was what I noticed too... But so far, nothing is slicing as well through my whiskers as Feathers for me so it is out of necessity I am using Feather.

Well today I went to my custom 34c (thread in double edge forum) with a Personna lab and it was great.
Gonna give feather another go, probably in my NDC SS. Always found it nicer than my flare tip... But I don't know why. But for now... The feathers wait in my stash.

I had what I would call my weirdest shave when using a Feather. Serious razor burn, but very shallow. After giving my skin a second dose of DIY aftershave, the burn completely disappeared. So the burn was definitely there, but I was able to completely eradicate it, unlike other burns. That being said, I get better and more comfortable shaves from blades that cost far less (GSB and Personna Lab Blue), so I see no reason to go back.

I practiced my technique for 2 months before attempting to use a Feather in a 23C. Result was not good. Think I need more practice!

Its funny about the shave that started this thread. There was irritation, red bumps, and burn...
Now, I don't know if its my face getting tougher, or what.... But by the next day I was ready for a shave... The burn and most of the red spots on my neck were gone.
I've gotten better at my after shave regimen as well as care for my face as a whole as far as cleansing and using moisturizer (ponds) so maybe that's it.
I was also coming off of shaving every day for 2 weeks, which was also impossible before.
I'm not sure, but I'm happy about it!!!

Top Bottom