What's new

The New Look of Tabac

You know what would really be a big improvement to the shave bowl? If they made it so that the lid would screw on and provide a better seal for traveling, and so that the soap doesn't dry out so quickly between shaves, or when you put it away for the season.

Agreed. A tighter lid is overdue.

I have a bottle of Glycerine I picked up cheap from the drug store. A few drops in either soap or cream helps soften it.

Maurer and Wirtz probably feel that the Tabac stick is what you should use for travel since the container is plastic instead of glass. Also, they get to sell you another product. As far as drying out goes, I haven't had a problem with my puck. Then again, I have a hard time going more than a month of two with out breaking out my bowl of Tabac.

Maurer and Wirtz probably feel that the Tabac stick is what you should use for travel since the container is plastic instead of glass. Also, they get to sell you another product. As far as drying out goes, I haven't had a problem with my puck. Then again, I have a hard time going more than a month of two with out breaking out my bowl of Tabac.
+1 ... I had forgotten about the stick. Then again, when I travel, it's unlikely that Tabac would go with me in my Dopp kit.

My dad used to have some Tabac cologne when I was growing up, that was the only place I had ever seen any Tabac product before I started wet-shaving and joined B&B. I kind of like the name and the old logo, even if it does look like the 80s. Some of the best times in my life were in the 80s. Haha.

I think my dad may have used it in the 70's and I thought it kind of smelled old-fashioned then.

But if it's old-fashion long enough, it may well become fashionable again.

If it works for straight shaving, then why not for Tabac?

B.

Does the stick (in its container) also dry out? I recently got some but will use intermittently due to a massive inventory of other excellent soaps. So I could well have that sitting there for a few months between shaves.
Anything to be concerned about?

I prefer the old (slanted) logo, but the new one isn't bad. Is it just the soap bowl that has changed design, or are the other products (cream, ASL, EdC, EdT, etc.) getting a face-lift as well?

I need refills on just about everything in my Tabac line-up. I hope that when I place my order, I will get matching logos across the line, and not a combination of old and new.

You know what would really be a big improvement to the shave bowl? If they made it so that the lid would screw on and provide a better seal for traveling, and so that the soap doesn't dry out so quickly between shaves, or when you put it away for the season.

Does the stick (in its container) also dry out? I recently got some but will use intermittently due to a massive inventory of other excellent soaps. So I could well have that sitting there for a few months between shaves.
Anything to be concerned about?
I've never had a Tabac stick, but the product is the same as the shaving soap. Even if it does dry out, it will spring back to life the next time you use it.

like the new look, tabac is excellent stuff. it's my go to soap when i don't know what i want to use for that day. excellent soap, smells really good too. it has a distinct scent, very manly. wife loves it ;)

The jar is make of a heavy white glass just like the old ones were.
I've dropped mine a couple of times and it survived without a scratch. Not so lucky with the bakelite(?) top, it has a big crack that runs from the outside edge to just past the center, but at least it hasn't gotten any worse since it first cracked about 3 years ago.

Why? I use it everywhere.
For one thing, the Tabac stick is very hard to come by here in the USA ... there was some kind of flap a few years ago where it got flagged by Customs, something about its packaging not being up to standards. Nobody really knows what the problem is, but we can't get it here anymore.

For another, when I travel, I like to keep it simple and bring as little as possible. With Tabac, I'd need to bring along my whole range of products, including the soap, cream, ASL, EdC/EdT, deodorant, etc. I'd need a whole suitcase just for my toiletries. And when I travel, I prefer unscented or neutral aromas, and Tabac certainly doesn't fit that bill.

The story regarding the USDA ban on the import of Tabac shaving sticks into the US was news to me, but I did some research.

The company that announced that Tabac shaving sticks could no longer be imported into the US (as they supposedly fell foul of USDA regulations regarding coloring agents used in the packaging), and that promised to get further information in August 2013, is still selling Tabac shaving sticks today.

Tabac seems to be easy enough to get in the US.
Maybe not as easy as Williams, but certainly easier than Martin de Candre. :)

Seems the crisis is over - or didn't even start.

B.

Top Bottom