What's new

What's your travel suitcase?

Particularly, something light weight, that rolls, fits on the plane's overhead compartment, and is NOT sold in discount stores.

I'm interested in the best suitcase at the best value. :001_cool:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Check out Red Oxx ... great stuff, even if they don't roll. (They DO rock, though!)

High Sierra from Ebags for under $70. I travel almost every week by car or plane and it has held up well for the last year. What I like best about it is that the side walls have a bit of give which is helpful when stowing in the overhead.

I've taken to only buying Samsonite.

Two reasons, their 5 year warranty which is global and they offer a good balance of lightweight and sturdiness.

I have to say I've only used the warranty in the country I reside, and that was no-quibble. (And Dutch customer service is generally very poor).

This is for my wife and I, we travel personally both city breaks and long haul vacations and I average one long haul business trip a month.

Carry on, my choice as soft case (maximum expansion, pockets), and only two wheels (rather than the 4 wheel spinner type), again max capacity. I just got that online. My wife has one called an explorall, which is a kind of a wheeled rucksack.

Check in, two hard lightweight mediums and two soft side (b-lite model) in full size. All are 4 wheel spinners and have the TSA locks built into the case.

Also did not get black, to help with making them stand out on the carousel.

We looked at the Briggs & Riley as it was recommended by others (as above). Probably the best there is (maybe exception LV) but we thought it was too heavy and experience has shown that airlines now use excess baggage weight as a way to make additional revenue. Some airports/airlines even weigh carry on.

I tend to avoid wheels. They make the bag less versatile when it comes to fitting in bins, and make it catch on edges.

I've used many different ones, but I currently use a Tom Bihn Pilot for two-three night trips, and an Arc'teryx C/O of everything else.

It kind of depends on the discount house as to what they carry, I've noticed.

I use Nautica Charter 3-piece luggage because I respect the company, their warranty, and how they've dealt with me in the past. I've used my set for the last two, going on three years now. They receive compliments, are incredibly durable, and the most reliable luggage that I have ever used. I purchased them on Amazon in 2012 and got an amazing deal on them.

I travel by air weekly and stay at 18 different hotels per month on average for my job and need a bag to handle 4 nights at a time. The Luggage Works Executive Aviator-22" works for me. It’s the lighter version with the poly rear ribs as opposed to the aluminum ones which bend and stay bent. I have them rebuilt every 18 months or so and they last a minimum of 3 years before I buy a new one. The exterior side pockets hold my electrical chargers/cords on one side and my sock bag on the other. I use eBags cubes and folders and keep 2 trips packed at all times.

$front_view-121a_av.jpg$rear_view-121a_av.jpg

Travelpro from Tuesday Morning. Lightweight, has a few pockets for smaller items, and is nice and roomy inside. I think I paid around $80 during a sale. Liked my carryon so much I bought a larger size for extended trips.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The Mrs. and I have been totally satisfied for many, many years traveling with our International Traveller (IT), Augusta - 3 Piece Expandable (which you can purchase separately), 100% ABS/Polycarb [really tough stuff], 4 wheeled (and they swivel), Luggage Sets from 'eBags' and with Free Shipping with purchases over $100. :thumbsup:

Read More:
http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/paradise-beach-collection-4-wheeled-3-piece-luggage-set/275596?productid=10328282

proxy.php
"Did you ever notice that the first piece of luggage on the carousel never belongs to anyone"? Erma Bombeck

A large Louis Vuitton suitcase a friend's mom gave me when I was in high school in the 80's. I had no idea what it was at the time. Now it's fun to pull out of a trunk!

Tumi is great but check out Rimowa... if your budget will stretch to it Josh, they are outstanding kit.

I'd go with Red Oxx, Travelpro 22in roller, or LLBean duffle. Best bet though is to see what the flight attendants use and go with that.

Top Bottom