What's new

Simpson Best vs Shavemac Finest: I am naming my new brush "Rodney"

I decided to name my new brush "Rodney" because Shavemac's Finest hair doesn't seem to get enough respect - or love - around here.

I have had several newer Simpson Best brushes and I will be the first to admit that they have excellent hair and in some cases, it's almost indistinguishable from their 3-band Silvertip hair, but Shavemac's Finest is, in my opinion, at least as good - and also cheaper.

My new Rudy Vey brush has a terrific, soft and dense 31mm Shavemac Finest knot and it cost about $60 less than a Simpson Chubby 3 in Best. Ordering the same size brush directly from Shavemac will also save you a lot of money compared to the Simpson.

The Simpson has a denser knot, but the difference isn't huge and the Shavemac's performance, IMHO is superior; it lathers up and releases its lather much easier than the CH3 in Best.

$rudy.jpg

Very nice.

I rate Shavemac finest very highly. It's such a great quality of hair at a great price.

The knots are probably best bang for buck if one is looking for a hand made knot.

I decided to name my new brush "Rodney" because Shavemac's Finest hair doesn't seem to get enough respect - or love - around here.

I totally agree. I've got one from RV as well (fan) and it's great. But your brush is more spectacular looking - that handle is awesome! Very nice.

It is certainly true that the Shavemac Finest doesn't get the recognition it deserves around here. This might have to do with the 'inflation' in made up badger categories.

One thing that also is in favor of the Shavemac knot is the consistency of them across the lines. I have an older finest and it is exactly the same as a new one I had a chance to try recently. No comparison to the totally unpredictable Simpsons best knots.

Shavemac Finest is on my list of knots to try. I've read good things about them. What is the loft on your brush? I'm trying to figure out what loft size I'd get for a 25mm knot that would make it a scrubby face lathering brush while not sacrificing flow through.

The flow through on the finest I have (it's the 2014 B&B LE) is definitely superior to any Simpson best I've tried. It doesn't have quite the backbone or scrub but the feel is very nice.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The Shavemac finest is one of the "best bang for the buck!!" Very consistent quality over the years I use it.
One of the reasons it was used for the B&B 2014 LE.

Top Bottom