What's new

My Visit to Daly's Pen Shop

I finally had a chance to visit Daly's Pen shop on 7632 W. Burleigh in Milwaukee, WI. It's the oldest pen shop in the country, but this is not the original location. However, as I understand it, all the original displays were brought to this current location, and the current owner is the fourth owner of this store. It was really a treat to go there, and it's only a 20 minute drive from my house. I picked up some pen flush, a bottle of Noodler's purple, and a disposable fountain pen. I'll be back there soon to buy another pen: perhaps a Kaweco Sport. If you're ever in the Milwaukee area, be sure to stop in and check it out. The owner was really friendly and helpful. Here's some pics. Sorry, they're just iPhone pics.

$IMG_0663.jpg

$IMG_0662.jpg

$IMG_0661.jpg

$IMG_0660.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cool shop! Glad I don't have that 20 minutes from my house!

Thanks for the fotos.

strop

Now half as wise
Shops like that are becoming fewer and fewer. Great that it is so close! (or is it?:lol:)

The display of the vintage stuff is cool. Are the posters and artwork for sale?

I once had a pen store 20 minutes from me -- Swisher Pens. I wish it looked as cool as that place does inside. It was sparse, with temporary shelving. No displays or anything like that. Very...grey looking.

I just found out about this place online today. Now I come here and see all of the pictures. I will be visiting here very soon. It's only about 5 miles from my house.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I just found out about this place online today. Now I come here and see all of the pictures. I will be visiting here very soon. It's only about 5 miles from my house.

Take your camera, too. Do they have any vintage pens or restoration services?

Closest place to me like that is Krinke's, the Fountain pen Shop, unfortunately it takes a day's drive -- one way.

http://www.myfoxla.com/video?clipId=8872890&autostart=true

Take your camera, too. Do they have any vintage pens or restoration services?

Closest place to me like that is Krinke's, the Fountain pen Shop, unfortunately it takes a day's drive -- one way.

http://www.myfoxla.com/video?clipId=8872890&autostart=true
That was a cool story, thanks for posting the link.

I hope Mr. Krinke has an heir lined up. Too many of these guys are aged. It reminds me of "The Masters of the Fountain Pen" thread over in the Japan subforum of FPN. The video series showcased in that thread was from 2008, showing pen masters in shops all over Japan, from tiny neighborhoods to cities, and in all but one case, they were pretty old guys. And one has died since then.

Although I have never set foot in that place it will alway be special to me. That is where I ordered my first expensive pen, a brownish colored Lammy Studio. I also ordered my first ever MB from them. A nice rubber and steel starwalker. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. While I havent used either in a few years I still own both of them. Might just take the MB to work tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing the pics. It made me smile and think back to how happy I was when that first package showed up in the mail.
Plano

wrote except for the twsbi display and the lack of Parker 51's and kitty's it's like going to Brians house.

nice store, thanks for the pictures

I stopped in there this past Saturday. Wow, it is a fantastic store. Brad (either Brad or Brian, I can't remember) was so receptive to newbie questions and was more than happy to ink up any pens I wanted to try out. He talked through different lines in different price ranges and pretty much answered all the questions I had. I ended up picking up a Pilot Metropolitan and a bottle of Bernanke Blue ink. I'm sure I'll be back to visit. He even encouraged me to stop back and just ask questions and not feel like I needed to buy anything. Just come back and hang out and talk. Very nice, no pressure environment.

I stopped in there this past Saturday. Wow, it is a fantastic store. Brad (either Brad or Brian, I can't remember) was so receptive to newbie questions and was more than happy to ink up any pens I wanted to try out. He talked through different lines in different price ranges and pretty much answered all the questions I had. I ended up picking up a Pilot Metropolitan and a bottle of Bernanke Blue ink. I'm sure I'll be back to visit. He even encouraged me to stop back and just ask questions and not feel like I needed to buy anything. Just come back and hang out and talk. Very nice, no pressure environment.

I got the same treatment when I was there. Stores like that are more and more rare.

Top Bottom