What's new

My Visit to the Toguchi Fountain Pen Shop in Naha, Okinawa

The weather report this morning said that the inbound Typhoon #9 would make landfall sometime this afternoon. I had already stocked up on food and water, so I thought that I'd take advantage of free time this morning to visit the Toguchi Fountain Pen Shop in Naha. It's located in a small neighborhood of shops and apartments, on a backstreet near Kokusai Street and the Prefectural offices. I parked my little Daihatsu at the curb and climbed to the shop on the second floor of the concrete building. There were some other offices and even a little coffee shop upstairs, and the walls were lined with black and white photographs covering Okinawan history since the end of WWII.

The door to the office has a glass window inscribed with the company logo--very cool, like something from a noir film. Mr. Toguchi was on the phone when I arrived, so he motioned me into a chair. He was such a nice, friendly man--when he hung up, he immediately started talking to me as if we were old friends. His family has made and sold fountain pens in Okinawa since 1931. His office is like a combination of museum and store. The walls are lined with glass cases containing his own collection of pens as well as all kinds of pens and ink that he has for sale. In one case, he has the remaining pens from the days when they made their own. On top of that case is a small machine that he uses to inscribe pens--you can see him using it in the photo below.

We talked for a long time about pens and his family's business, but we worked our way around to talking about lots of other things too. His family even dropped in to say hi.

When loudspeakers along the street started broadcasting storm warnings, I thought I'd better get on the road. I hated to leave without a memento of my visit, so I ended up buying a Pilot Custom 74. He inscribed it for me too.

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea that my day would turn out like this. Not only do I have a nice new pen, but I had a great experience too. The wind from the leading edge of the typhoon is rattling my windows now: I think I can kick back and relax and feel like I accomplished something today.

proxy.php

That's a great story Chris.

Hopefully the typhoon doesn't do any damage and things are back to normal within a day.

Does the family make fountain pens also? Or is it a retail shop? Very cool that he engraved it for you. I have a feeling you may have a new friend to visit for the remiander of your time there.

Kevin

Does the family make fountain pens also? Or is it a retail shop? Very cool that he engraved it for you. I have a feeling you may have a new friend to visit for the remiander of your time there.

They used to make them when they first got started, and it seems to me that they kept it up until the 1960s. My guess is when the US administered the islands, it was more lucrative to do something like that. Now it's easier to just import everything from the mainland. He still has some in inventory, but they're priced out of my range. He has a very diverse selection of pens for sale too. My guess is that a knowledgeable collector could find some remarkable things in his inventory. Hopefully I'll have another chance to stop by and see him before I head home.

I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for the great report. I wish I would have know about this shop when I was stationed on Okinawa.

Top Bottom