What's new

Picked up a Metropolitan at the Fountain Pen Shop

I had been meaning to pay a visit to the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia, California for a while, mostly to look around. I had also been thinking about a metal-bodied Kaweco Sport, probably the aluminum, and if I saw one there I might just have to buy it. This week I happened to travel to Los Angeles and Monrovia, so I went in.

Definitely worth a visit. The shop is in the back, with a wide variety of pens for sale, and the front room is basically a fountain pen museum. A lot of pen history there. One pen used by Leland Stanford to sign many important documents. Fred Krinke, the owner, does a lot of repairs and restorations, apparently enough to keep him fully occupied. I might get the ink sac replaced on my Esterbrook, since it is of unknown age, but probably very old.

Anyway, on the counter they had out on display a selection of Pilot Metropolitans. I had always passed these over, being vastly disappointed in the Pilot 78G. I know that the 78G got good reviews, but I found it (an F nib) much too dry and scratchy, the body way too light for my taste, and didn't care much for the appearance. I figured that the Metropolitan was probably about the same. Some of the Metropolitans were inked up and ready to go, so at the sales clerk's suggestion I gave a couple (M and F) a try. This sold me. Very smooth writing, even with an F (my preferred width), and a nice weight to the body.

I'm not sure yet whether this will replace my Safari as my daily writer, but it's close. I also like the way my Safari writes (an EF), but I prefer the weight of the Metropolitan, and the Safari doesn't always look to me like a pen for a grownup.

Conclusions: Visit the Fountain Pen Shop if you can, and consider a Pilot Metropolitan.

(Turns out, according to the sales clerk, that you have to go online for Kawecos. They can't get them.)

I love my Metropolitans, I'm glad you like them too. They offer ridiculous value for money and I prefer them to some other pens I paid ten times the price for. The fine nib on my white tiger Metro was great out of the box, but after a few months of regular use it began to write like an absolute dream.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Glad you got a pen you like. I have always been a fan of the 78g ... never had any of those problems you mention ... but at that price I do not doubt that some lesser nibs like the one you got would slip through.

Enjoy your new pen!

Glad you found a pen you like. Pilot's really are wonderful writers, and a real bargain in the fountain pen world IMHO.

I also liked my late deceased Pilot Metro. I had one with a fine nib and it wrote very smoothly and with no skips. Fell to the ground nib first. I think I'll resurrect it with a replacement nib soon.

Top Bottom