What's new

First Time Aftershave

I am relatively new to DE shaving and have been following a lot of threads on the amazing forum about aftershave products.

I have never used an aftershave before, so I bought some Maggard Razors London Barbershop aftershave so it will complement my soap. I applied some last night after my shave, no time in the morning to shave, and it felt very hot on my skin. Not a burning sensation but warm.

I had done some research and found that I did not want anything with alcohol. The brand purchased stated it was with Witch Hazel.

Questions:

1. What exactly is Witch Hazel?
2. Is the hot sensation normal?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Witch hazel is a plant, traditionally used to treat skin irritation and bruises. The witch hazel "extract" is actually distilled from the plant so "actual" witch hazel contains 14% alcohol. If you have a sensitivity to alcohol and the witch hazel used in the Maggard's stuff had not been de-alcoholized then that may explain the "hot" feeling.

When I have a rougher shave the witch hazel application feels a bit like an aftershave splash only lighter. You may also be experiencing that.

Top Bottom