What's new

Some Pinaud Clubman homebrewing

I know this has been discussed before. I love Pinaud Clubman but find it need some more nourishment. I had a 3.4oz glass container filled about halfway with Pinaud, I filled other half with some plain Witch Hazel then put about 8-10 drops of pure glycerin. I do find the scent is definitely muted and the mixture is now a cloudy yellow/white liquid, so maybe future mix will have some more Pinaud, but I find it definitely soothes my skin more than straight Pinaud.

Also, I looked up Pinaud hair tonics, their Greaseless hair tonic is the classic Clubman scent but with glycerin added, that literally is the only difference from what I saw. So today after my shave I put some in my damp hair, seemed to help with keeping hair styled, not a very "slicked" look but helps manage it.

Any thoughts or feedback? Suggestions?

I know this has been discussed before. I love Pinaud Clubman but find it need some more nourishment. I had a 3.4oz glass container filled about halfway with Pinaud, I filled other half with some plain Witch Hazel then put about 8-10 drops of pure glycerin. I do find the scent is definitely muted and the mixture is now a cloudy yellow/white liquid, so maybe future mix will have some more Pinaud, but I find it definitely soothes my skin more than straight Pinaud.

Also, I looked up Pinaud hair tonics, their Greaseless hair tonic is the classic Clubman scent but with glycerin added, that literally is the only difference from what I saw. So today after my shave I put some in my damp hair, seemed to help with keeping hair styled, not a very "slicked" look but helps manage it.

Any thoughts or feedback? Suggestions?
I have skin that has become drier and more sensitive as I hit my 50‘s and the winter is the worst time for me.

I go for a simpler (and I think more effective) routine. After winter shaves, either a good quality Witch Hazel or a product specifically for facial care like a balm or something like Lucky Tiger goes on my face. Once in a while I will do an alcohol splash.

Then I will use Clubman or another scent almost like a cologne. Will hit my forearms, neck etc. This gives me both the scent and facial care without the chemistry experiments/possibly wasting products.

I use hair tonics as well. It was another rabbit hole since different ones work for me in different seasons/circumstances. They are fantastic for me. My light dandruff is all but gone and I enjoy the good looking results.

I have skin that has become drier and more sensitive as I hit my 50‘s and the winter is the worst time for me.

I go for a simpler (and I think more effective) routine. After winter shaves, either a good quality Witch Hazel or a product specifically for facial care like a balm or something like Lucky Tiger goes on my face. Once in a while I will do an alcohol splash.

Then I will use Clubman or another scent almost like a cologne. Will hit my forearms, neck etc. This gives me both the scent and facial care without the chemistry experiments/possibly wasting products.

I use hair tonics as well. It was another rabbit hole since different ones work for me in different seasons/circumstances. They are fantastic for me. My light dandruff is all but gone and I enjoy the good looking results.
I get it, makes sense. I like to have things streamlined to avoid having to but separate things so that's why I figured a few ingredients and I have an aftershave/hair product in one. I recently stopped using soap on my face and just wash with water since I get some irritation from seborrheic dermatitis and winter makes it worse as well. Can hopefully get away without a moisturizer if not using soap.

Good luck. I have dialed in my routine to the point where I’m good, but my face went through a few terrible winters while I figured it out. Its definitely not fun, and I literally feel your pain…

I get it, makes sense. I like to have things streamlined to avoid having to but separate things so that's why I figured a few ingredients and I have an aftershave/hair product in one. I recently stopped using soap on my face and just wash with water since I get some irritation from seborrheic dermatitis and winter makes it worse as well. Can hopefully get away without a moisturizer if not using soap.
Do you get irritation from "real" soap as well? I get really dry from detergent based soaps, but switching to my homemade good ol lye soap I have no more dryness. Properly made lye soap will have residual oils/fats that will help keep your skin moisturized.

I also started a no-poo regiment about 6-8 months ago. I no longer use any product on my hair and I only rinse it with warm/hot water when I shower. My hair is much better than it was. No more dandruff. It does not smell bad. It smells like you. It is a bit of a transition period for not using shampoo though. The hair will feel a bit oily as your natural oils stabilize. Once that period is passed, which takes about 3-4 weeks, you are in business. It is harder for those that have longer hair to tolerate this because of this period. Shampoo removes all the natural oils that we produce.

Last edited:
Do you get irritation from "real" soap as well? I get really dry from detergent based soaps, but switching to my homemade good ol lye soap I have no more dryness. Properly made lye soap will have residual oils/fats that will help keep your skin moisturized.

I also started a no-poo regiment about 6-8 months ago. I no longer use any product on my hair and I only rinse it with warm/hot water when I shower. My hair is much better than it was. No more dandruff. It is a bit of a transition period for not using shampoo though. The hair will feel a bit oily as your natural oils stabilize. Once that period is passed, which takes about 3-4 weeks, you are in business. It is harder for those that have longer hair to do this because of this period. Shampoo removes all the natural oils that we produce.
I stopped using shampoo ages ago, best thing ever. As far as soaps, I was just using regular old bar soap, it definitely was drying. Just started using water only now on my face. As far as shaving creams/soaps I use Arko but can't recall any giving me real issues.

I stopped using shampoo ages ago, best thing ever. As far as soaps, I was just using regular old bar soap, it definitely was drying. Just started using water only now on my face. As far as shaving creams/soaps I use Arko but can't recall any giving me real issues.
Arko is a real lye soap so you may be fine with washing your face with regular lye soap as well. You could always try some artisan made bar soap and see if that works, if you want/need something.

Yeah no shampoo was one of the best things for me as well. I had horrible dander and had to use the anti-dander shampoos. My hair was oily and left marks on the pillows etc. It seems counterintuitive, but no-poo makes my hair less oily.

Top Bottom