What's new

Shaving 5+ Days Growth

I've got a week's growth on my face (still shaving my head daily, the missus asked me to try it!) and I'll be reaching for the Kai Standard that I received from you, Brian.

I'm actually really looking forward to shaving tonight, this beard is getting itchy.

How did the shave go Matt? I think I could happily use the Kai every day. If only I had time - Gillette Slim Adj. Is so quick and easy though.

Last edited:
I've honestly never grew out my beard more than lets say 2 weeks since I started growing facial hair. So I couldn't honestly give a recommendation, but I am interested to know about this as I always believed beards needed to be electrically shaved down before using a razor.

How did the shave go Matt? I think I could happily use the Kai every day. If only I had time - Gillette Slim Adj. Is so quick and easy though.

Great shave, the Kai sliced away in minutes, what had taken me over a week to grow! I normally use the Kai on weekends when I can take my time but I ended up using it for the shave before work that morning and got me think about if I could use it on weekdays too.

You can do a regular shave with 5 days growth. I agree with the guys above that a 2-3 day growth seems to give me a closer shave than every day. Not much, but a little.

As many others, I actually prefer a shave of a 2-3 day old beard - it seems that however smooth the last shave was, your skin can use the intermediate days to recover.

But to answer the question: I'm strictly a straight razor user and any of my straights will be ok for any shave, no matter how many days. So I don't need anything special.

I tend to do extra prep. Slather on some proraso green preshave creme. Work up a watery lather (proto lather?) and apply it over the preshave. I either wash all that off or do a light pass. Then apply real lather and do a normal 3 pass shave, being careful of my neck since it will openly revolt the next day if I'm not extra careful.

I always go 3-5 days between shaves, sometimes even more. I have medium/coarse facial hair. I also shave my head. I have used Merkurs OC, HD and slant. The slant gets the nod for the first pass. Second pass is usually with the HD, however sometimes I use the slant on my head for the second pass. I sold the OC, too mild. I do want to get an OC that is more aggressive than the Merkur.

For prep I will usually start a face lather with some thin lather so it has a good chance to penetrate the hair. Then I will continue with normal lather.

EDIT: I used to use a Fatboy set on 9 for the first pass on my head. The Fatboy set on nine would have been too uncomfortable to use on my face. The slant is more aggressive and more comfortable.

Last edited:
Great shave, the Kai sliced away in minutes, what had taken me over a week to grow! I normally use the Kai on weekends when I can take my time but I ended up using it for the shave before work that morning and got me think about if I could use it on weekdays too.

I've been using my Kee in the mornings. One pass with the heavier shavette is enough for work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom