What's new

More Aggressive Razor?

I started using a DE about 2 months ago and have enjoyed it for the most part. However, I think that I could use a more aggressive razor than my EJ89. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced razor?

The cheapest would be to shim your razor. Beyond that, do you want new or old? Slightly more aggressive or much more aggressive? How much do you want to spend? : )

I think the logical next place to go would be a Merkur Slant razor. The Merkur Slants (37 and 39) are great value and nice shavers. If you want more aggressive, Muhle R41. If price is no object treat yourself to an Above the Tie Kronos R2. I LOVE mine.

Gillette Red Tip is a very nice razor...
I wouldn;t call it aggressive, is just nice - better than EJ89, imo, and fairly priced.

of course, there is R41 and Fatip, but i wouldn't advise jumping from EJ89 to them

Try a shim to see if you really do want more aggressive. It's slightly different than more efficient. If you want efficient, 37c or NEW. If you want more agressive, go with a slim and you can play with how much more aggresive.

I'd buy a Gillette adjustable; either a fatboy or slim. With these razors you can fine tune the shave to your liking and get off the razor merry-go-round.

The EJ89 is a nice razor, but I wanted something a little more aggressive. I went to a R41, I will say nothing shaves me closer than a R41, but sometimes at a price (nicks) I than bought a gillette old type, more aggressive than a R89 and a nice shave. I also picked up a Fatip, less aggressive than the R41 and very nice close shaves. I did add a heavier handle on all the razors. The Fatip is my daily shaver now, but I do use the R41 when I want that super close shave. Both the R41 and Fatip are very aggressive, a gillette Old Type or New would be a great step up for you. Just my opinion......

Come on over to the dark side... If you want aggressive, try a straight. lol
As a realistic suggestion, I second the Gillette New. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the suggestions above.

Guys, you forgot the best option -- hold the blade really steady in your hand!

I agree with everyone else here... Just wanted to add my dumb remark ;)

I'm always a proponent of incremental increases in aggression. A Slim is basically the perfect second razor for almost everyone. You get to a point where you want to learn more and perhaps experience a vintage razor... The slim provides both of those things. Wanna find out if you prefer TTO or fixed-head? Slim. Wanna dabble with blade gaps? Slim. Wanna learn the hard way what everyone's referring to when they say "quarter turn"?? Slim.

You can discover a lot about your own preferences by shaving with a Slim for a couple weeks, and if you don't like it you'll be able to sell it on the BST in about 84 seconds.

All the other suggestions are great ideas as well (NEW, Fatip, slant, shimming), but the greatest leap you can make in your shave knowledge is a Slim.

I think the recommendations for a Slim are spot on.
I just received one in a PIF, and shaved with it tonight. Started on 1 and ended on 2. I'll be bumping it up a click at a time until I find my sweet spot.
The craftsmanship of this razor is beyond any other DE I have held in my hands, and I can see the potential to meet almost any need I might have as far as shaving goes. From incredibly mild to a nice mid range and probably beyond what I will ever need or want in terms of an aggressive razor.

Gillette Red Tip is a very nice razor...
I wouldn;t call it aggressive, is just nice - better than EJ89, imo, and fairly priced.

of course, there is R41 and Fatip, but i wouldn't advise jumping from EJ89 to them
+1

I'm in the same boat - I just ordered the R41 replacement head from shaving.ie for $19 + around $5 shipping (I ordered some other things too). I'll use the handle from my Muhle R89, you could use the handle from your EJ89 as they're the same.

I'm also contemplating the Merkur Progress adjustable razor, but I'll play with the R41 for a while first.

Top Bottom