What's new

First BBS shave!

I'm sure this sort of post happens a lot here, but it's my turn: this morning I achieved my first BBS shave (on the face at least; my neck isn't ready)! I took my time, and this time added a third, ATG, pass, which is what really made the difference. Plus, no nicks or irritation! So it's both my closest shave so far AND my least irritating. Fancy that.

Thanks to everyone here for the encouragement and advice as I get my footing in the brave new world.

My setup for today: Musgo Real Glyce pre-shave soap, Proraso green cream, Merkur HD with Astra SPs, alum, and a nice splash of Speick AS. Sweet.

You and me, both! Got rid of the pre-shave oil and it was like a beam of light from the heavens! Haha. Congrats on the BBS. It's a great feeling after months of practice!

I'm a newb too and just experienced a DFS yesterday. I used Astra SP for first time and I did a wtg pass and a atg pass. But I found that on my atg pass instead of going from ear to nose, I went from nose to ear and it was much more comfortable! Good luck and if something isn't working try something different. Simple as that

Glad for you! To me, BBS is more a mark of getting the shaving routine dialed in than a daily goal. Practice makes perfect, or at least makes for a great shave!

Congratulations on your BBS. It will get even better with practice and will soon cover your whole face and neck.

Congrats! It is a great feeling! Neck is next ;) I've been doing 3 passes from the beginning and haven't regretted it. 4 passes gives me the BBS I want.

It's like an epiphany, isn't it! An amazing feeling and you should duly reward yourself for making everything come together for you. Your neck will follow shortly, but don't try for it.
Incidentally, my BBS cherry was plucked with an Astra SP too!

Well, I suppose this learning process has to have its ups and downs, because this mornings shave felt like the worst since I started with a DE razor a month ago. Well, perhaps not the worst, but certainly frustrating: after the first pass the blade was catching more, and I managed to nick myself in at least three places, plus add some irritation to the lower middle of my neck. I'm pretty sure of where I got too hasty or too aggressive, but still, as much as we all talk on here about how much we look forward to shaving the traditional way, a bad shave really is a bummer!

I'm also still trying to get lathering down; not just making *a* lather, which I can do, but getting a good feel for the sweet spot, especially when face lathering.

Tomorrow morning, back at it!

Top Bottom