What's new

East Coast Canadian Pass-around Box

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sorry gents for the lack of posting and pictures. I will try to make up for it right now.

I shaved with items from the box today and I will be mailing it tomorrow.

First, I just want to show how similar the Parker is compared to my Merkur 37c. They both have a similar shape and weight but shave differently. The parker is different to the R89 too.

There's something that the Parker doesn't have compared to the Merkur or R89. It's smoothness. That refined shave is not all there. Don't get me wrong, it's a good, or I should say okay, razor to use here and there. I wouldn't go further than using this one as a spare wheel if my main razors are broken.

The Merkur is the top razor and the one on the right in the second picture.
$SANY6878.jpg$SANY6879.jpg

I thought I should post a highlight of what I used that was outstanding. I got 3 products
$SANY6881.jpg

The real shaving company was very surprising. I was not expecting a lather that good out of that product. It's a very nice one, comparable to Kiss my face in terms of lather. I think that Kiss my face is a tiny bit superior but it's still worth trying. When those mini tubes go on sale at Pharmaprix, I will get one of those!

Second is the Razorock tight buns. I liked it. I know it got the thumb down from my other half but then, something happened. I put it on again and I did not have a single complaint. Seems like I may be okay to buy a full bottle one day.

Lastly, the R89. I honestly was looking at that one product only when I got the box. It's a good performing razor. I had to use my custom handle to get a better shave out of it. I'm not sure that the R89 will beat my merkur right now but that could change one day. For now, I think I will stick to the Merkur.

Finally, what I put in the box
$SANY6880.jpg

I added some GEM stainless steel blades already to be sure that a few members could use the Clog Pruf razor. I also added a decant of Booster Lilac aftershave, Pinaud Lilac Vegetal (I know that not everyone is a fan of this one) and a small sample of Vitos Mentholo.

I took out of the box a sample size of the Tight Buns AS (maybe 3-4ml) that I will experiment with and see if I can get that one accepted into the den.

I also took some samples that Brian (First Canadian Shave Company) gave for the traveling box. Only the Loretto Lime and Rosemary and Hot Summer Lavender. I did try both of them already but I need to play a bit more before I decide. They provided some good lather but I had a few big bubbles. That's why I need to work with them a bit more to see if I can get a better lather. The scents where good. I did send a question to Brian as I smelled something similar out of both soaps. Brian confirmed it was vetivar essential oil. I will use the samples as I go and possibly report back here when I get to them.

I want to thank everyone again, great stuff. I will post back when the box is out. Most likely tomorrow.

Great reviews Luc, excited to see what Comet thinks on some of the items! Hopefully the shipping won't take too long with it being Christmas time and all.

Good reviews. Glad to see one of my donations made your top three !!

That's not a Merkur 37C though is it? Isn't the 37C the short handled slant?

Luc

Staff member
Good reviews. Glad to see one of my donations made your top three !!

That's not a Merkur 37C though is it? Isn't the 37C the short handled slant?

I get mixed up with the numbers, you are right, it`s a 38c. What I have is the barberpole merkur non-slant

On a similar note, Zee bird haz left zee nest! It was a $2 more for express post so the package is delivered before Christmas.

Luc

Staff member
It was fairly cheap I reckon. $14 xpress but it didn't go far. The box is 4.2kg

I have the box. I have one of those super mail boxes with a key at the end of the street. We check it once a week. since we were home all week, I was expecting Post Canada to ring the bell with the package. They left a key which gave me access to a larger locker with the box. I am looking forward to trying some of the things in the box. Will post back soon!

I was so excited when I opened up the box to see all of the things that awaited me. There are many items in the box that I've been meaning to try over the years. I first opened the little blue box filled with razor blades and noticed there were Persona Labs and Meds in it. I had had a bad experience with Persona Reds in the past and was anxious to try these to see if I would enjoy any better. I must say they are very smooth blade.
I also tried the EJ razor that was in the box. I've been meaning to try this as well. I enjoyed it very much it was a nice mild razor.
I tried the DR Harris hair tonic which had a very strong sandalwood scent to it. It was not quite to my liking and don't think I'll use it again. The Razor Rock Tight Buns Aftershave splash was enjoyable it had a nice feint scent and really gave a nice after-kick.
On day-one I also tried the Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap. It lathered up nicely and was fun to use. All in all it was a great first day it was nothing that I tried that was awful I enjoyed some more than others. Looking forward today’s shave to try some new things!

Today I tried the single edge razor that was included in the box. It was not to my liking it kind of feels like an aluminum product and I like a little more weight to my single edge razor's this shave was not terribly smooth. I also tried the Barrister Man Levithan shaving soap with lanolin. It was Okay for me but I didn't care for the scent and the lather was not as thick as I might like.

I used the razor rock extract of limes shaving oil as well. It was quite nice with and I enjoyed the scent and it seemed to increase the slickness of my shave. Finally, I finished off with the Captain's Choice Cat O’ Ninetails aftershave. It was quite interesting. The fragrance was not quite to my liking, however, it really does leave quite an after-burn I liked to sensation.

I will try some new products tomorrow and check in. Almost done!

Ok gents the box will be sent to Ottawa today. I have included some of my favourite blades:

1) Perma Sharps
2) Gillette Blacks
3) Sharks
4) Personna

Also some Bay Rum Aftershave (Good for Canadian Winters)

I made up a small tub JM Fraser's Cream (it is nice Canadian cream that lathers really well.

Finally a stick of Arko for those who have not tried it.

I took a couple of Gem SE Blades and left the rest for you guys!

Thanks for including me in the passaround.

$2015-01-02 11.49.04.jpg

Cool! Nice work Comet. Can't wait for the goodies to arrive. Really looking forward to trying some different blades. I've been using Feathers exclusively for a long time and I want to (re)acquaint myself with some others.

Here's a couple of pictures of the box as it arrived. Thanks for the quick shipping and the great packing job Comet. I have to say I'm glad that I'll just be passing it along to another member here in town. My packing skills may not be up to this task! :001_smile Which reminds me, Snidely, maybe we should get in touch so we can work out a meet to pass off the goods. Next Tuesday or Wednesday would be best I guess.

$box1.jpg$box2.jpg

My first review will be forthcoming shortly. Cheers gents!

Luc

Staff member
You need to be some sort of Tetris expert already to ship that box.

I'd recommend contacting the next person in line via PM, not within this thread.

Top Bottom