What's new

Tried glycerin for the first time today. Wow!

Good afternoon folks,

To date, I have been getting some remarkably clean, smooth, and consistent shaves. I have a rather healthy rotation of products that I like to run through and all had been fine like wine. Some time ago, I read here on the forums that some folks have used glycerin to their soaps/creams for added slickness in lieu of adding water. I remembered today having purchased some glycerin at a CVS but had never used it.

Well, today I decided to give her a go; just for grins if for nothing else. When making my lather, I added about 3-5 droplets of the glycerin and went about my business. The end results were - to me - amazing. The lather was awesome. The blade seemed to glide over my face with ease and my skin felt insanely soft afterwards. Now, it could well have been the placebo effect. I concede such. But, I'm thinking that the added glycerin did make a bit of difference. At least such to the point that I can see myself using it more often.

Another great benefit from the numerous tips/advice found here on the forums. Thanks everyone.

I've got some VG that I keep around, and after reading your post, gave it a go. And I thought it yielded some good results. I use Ogallala soap, and it lathered up much easier and creamier than I'm used to. And I thought there was a noticeable feeling going on as well, it did seem a bit "slicker". Shave was good, so I think I'm going to keep a bottle in the bathroom. It's cheap and you can find it at any Walmart so it's a win/win.

I've always been interested to try it but haven't been able to find pure liquid glycerin at any of the Walgreens by my here in Chicago. Hopefully sometime I'll run into it in the wild

Good afternoon folks,

To date, I have been getting some remarkably clean, smooth, and consistent shaves. I have a rather healthy rotation of products that I like to run through and all had been fine like wine. Some time ago, I read here on the forums that some folks have used glycerin to their soaps/creams for added slickness in lieu of adding water. I remembered today having purchased some glycerin at a CVS but had never used it.

Well, today I decided to give her a go; just for grins if for nothing else. When making my lather, I added about 3-5 droplets of the glycerin and went about my business. The end results were - to me - amazing. The lather was awesome. The blade seemed to glide over my face with ease and my skin felt insanely soft afterwards. Now, it could well have been the placebo effect. I concede such. But, I'm thinking that the added glycerin did make a bit of difference. At least such to the point that I can see myself using it more often.

Another great benefit from the numerous tips/advice found here on the forums. Thanks everyone.

If I may ask...What was your setup? What soap/cream? Face or bowl lather? How did you add the glycerine?

If I may ask...What was your setup? What soap/cream? Face or bowl lather? How did you add the glycerine?
I was using Trumpers Lime today. Bowl lathered in my Georgetown Pottery scuttle. I started with a silver tip that had soaked in the scuttle while I showered. After giving the brush a few flicks, I began making the lather. About midway through, I added about 3-5 droplets of the glycerin and continued swirling the brush about the scuttle. After which, the lather exploded in volume. My face felt extremely soft and moisturized afterwards.

I've always been interested to try it but haven't been able to find pure liquid glycerin at any of the Walgreens by my here in Chicago. Hopefully sometime I'll run into it in the wild

Walmart may have it. Also, crafts stores often sell small bottles of liquid glycerin in the baking section. Ditto for some supermarkets. I assume you don't want to buy online.

You might have to ask the pharmacist for it. For some reason, some places keep it behind the counter and only available if you ask. In some cases, they might have to order it. What you want, is vegetable glycerin (VG) and make sure it's USP. It's food safe and really nothing at all toxic or dangerous. I think the reason it might be behind the counter, is that it could have some dangerous qualities when mixed with other stuff.

But, you should be always able to find it stocked at Walmart. It's usually out on the shelves by the ISO alcohol. And, it's probably 1/2 the price of the stuff carried by the pharmacies but the same USP grade and just as good. I use it a lot for dry skin and a humectant. A drop is great for dry/chapped lips.

Walmart may have it. Also, crafts stores often sell small bottles of liquid glycerin in the baking section. Ditto for some supermarkets. I assume you don't want to buy online.

Sometime drug stores keep it behind the pharmacy counter. No idea why. It pays to ask for it if you don't see it.

I was using Trumpers Lime today. Bowl lathered in my Georgetown Pottery scuttle. I started with a silver tip that had soaked in the scuttle while I showered. After giving the brush a few flicks, I began making the lather. About midway through, I added about 3-5 droplets of the glycerin and continued swirling the brush about the scuttle. After which, the lather exploded in volume. My face felt extremely soft and moisturized afterwards.

Thanks! I'll be giving it a try. Found it at CVS.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My method is to first let my brush (B & B Essential Boar), soak for about 5 minutes and then I wet my VDH Luxury Scented Soap with hot water for about 30 seconds, drain, then add 3 drops of glycerine on top. Then I proceed to 'load' my brush and work-up a great Überlather by
face lathering. :thumbsup:

Glycerine also has uses with certain aftershaves/colognes (i.e., Pinuad for example), because of the 'drying' aspects upon the skin, by I've found (by 'trial & error'...I started with 2 drops at first), the addition of about 8-10 drops of glycerin per 8oz bottle of Pinaud products (I'm currently using vintage Club Royale), greatly increases the moisturizing and toning aspects with no 'stickiness or heaviness'.
proxy.php

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]“One Razor, One Lather; One Shave at a Time”. CBJ[/FONT]

Last edited:
Adding glycerin to ones soap really makes a nice difference in glide. Of course, I like my soap a little more wet than usual and I believe that is a factor in getting great glide. Also, as mentioned above, adding glycerin to aftershave really tones down the drying effect - especially for the winter time. I use one drop in the palm of my hand with a couple of splashes of aftershave. Nice smooth skin!

I found mine at CVS. It was in the section with the lotions and moisturizers. I was looking for it in the first-aid section, but couldn't find it so I had to ask an employee.

I don't add glycerin to my soap very often...rarely, actually. But what I do, and seem to get great results from, is put a tiny drop of glycerin in my palm, pour my aftershave in my palm on top of it, rub it together really well, and slap it on my face. That leaves my skin feeling great. It makes my face feel so soft and smooth and will help calm any irritation. Great stuff, if you ask me.

The benefit of glycerin over oil is that it doesn't gunk up your brush.
I stopped using glycerin after I was accustomed to Bio Palmyra.
Just for the heck of it, I'll try glycerin tomorrow.

crleftwichI'll be sure to give the aftershave method a try.

I found mine at CVS. It was in the section with the lotions and moisturizers. I was looking for it in the first-aid section, but couldn't find it so I had to ask an employee.

I don't add glycerin to my soap very often...rarely, actually. But what I do, and seem to get great results from, is put a tiny drop of glycerin in my palm, pour my aftershave in my palm on top of it, rub it together really well, and slap it on my face. That leaves my skin feeling great. It makes my face feel so soft and smooth and will help calm any irritation. Great stuff, if you ask me.

+1 I like to add glycerin (usually 1 drop per oz.) to aftershaves that don't have it already. (I add it right to the bottle of aftershave itself.) Makes a nice difference.

Well, I had a second shave with glycerin added to the shave cream and it was just as awesome as the first. So, to me, it proved not to be a fluke. I was given a gift of L'occitane CADE rich shaving cream along with CADE shaving oil and thought I'd give it a try this morning. I was pleasantly surprised by these products. Great lather, nice pleasant scent, and left my skin (along with the added droplets of glycerin) feeling smoother than ever. Good stuff.

I also added one droplet of the glycerin to my aftershave balm as well. Really liking the effects of this stuff.

...what I do, and seem to get great results from, is put a tiny drop of glycerin in my palm, pour my aftershave in my palm on top of it, rub it together really well, and slap it on my face. That leaves my skin feeling great. It makes my face feel so soft and smooth and will help calm any irritation. Great stuff, if you ask me.

+1 Now that, Sir, was a great sermon. Amen. [emoji1]

Top Bottom