What's new

Anyone else have a preference for natural ingredients in their consumables?

Greetings,
I am just beginning to enter the artisan shaving scene and was wanting to know just how common 100% all-natural ingredients really are in commonly available consumables such as soaps, creams, balms, splashes, etc. etc.? So far from what I can tell it doesn't really seem to be all that common. I myself have a preference for natural ingredients. Does natural ingredients matter to anyone else out there or am I the only one? Any recommendations or advice on where to purchase these natural consumables and what to look for when buying?
Thank you

Funny you should ask, when I first started wet shaving (with carts ) I wanted all natural soaps to eliminate the caned soaps and all the extra chemicals. With that came the search for a shaving brush. That lead me to thinking about my wastefulness of disposable razors, witch lead me to research razors, which finally lead me to the Badger & Blade. Ounce at the B&B my soap AD took over......which lead me away from all natural soaps. But now I am getting the best shaves of my life and enjoying them. Maybe some day I will get back into !00% all natural soaps. Just saying..........

I try to pay attention, but honestly, it has started getting very frustrating. With soaps, stick with artisans and you're pretty safe. It gets more difficult with pre shaves and aftershaves, and don't even think about trying to find an oil-free moisturizer without tons of parabens. I'm getting close to tryng not to pay attention anymore.

While there is actually no legal definition of the phrase "all natural," I know what you're asking. You're in luck here because Lots of artisan soaps are "all natural."
Soap and cream ingredients can get confusing though. Sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide, while not very natural sounding, are two different forms of lye and a necessary (and arguably natural) ingredient of soaps and shave cream.

Also any ingredient that is structured like this: "sodium _________-ate" or "potassium __________-ate" means that is has been combined with lye to make soap. For example "sodium tallowate" and "potassium Palm kernelate" are just tallow and Palm kernel oil that have been combined with sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide (lye) to make soap.

Another ingredient descriptor that sounds unnatural but isn't is 'saponified.' All that means is "turned into soap." Also, don't be afraid of "stearic acid" it's just a vegetable fat and very positive thing in shave soaps.

The most common Ingredient that doesnt eet the "all natural" sniff test is EDTA. I'm sure there are more and others should chine in.

The good news for you is that there are lots of artisan shave soap makers who only use "natural" ingredients. Mike's Natural soaps is an obvious one. I know that Maggards makes a splash that's just witch hazel, aloe and fragrance. I'd be willing to gamble that most small batch, artisans would meet a some "all natural" standard.

Last edited:
I guess if you consider fragrance oils non natural then you might have to pick and choose your soaps carefully and only stick to essential oils.

I'm not really picky about what's on the label, but I do partially judge things based on post-shave and how my skin feels through the day. I tend to find that preservatives will dry me out a bit more, but that's not to say that mass produced products (Arko, Nivea, etc.) ruin my skin or anything. But like others have said, it's very easy these days to find "all natural" soaps with very brief ingredient lists.

I think in many cases you can find it on the internet if a product/brand is 100% natural. As far I know Proraso, Taylor Old Bond Street, Tcheon Fung Sing are 100% natural. These are the brands I use. I do prefer natural products.

The search to use more natural products is actually the reason I started using artisan soaps/brush/DE razors. It's been a downward spiral into the abyss of AD's, mostly razors (with enough blades to last a decade) but soaps are picking up. :lol: I'll probably start trying some of the more natural aftershaves out there soon and I'm sure I'll acquire yet another AD....

Please google how many chemicals make up an organic apple.

turns out, pretty much everything is made of chemicals. If anything "natural" ingredients mask the chemicals used.

Top Bottom