What's new

Gem Handles

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Depends on the model. Some Gem can fit a 10x32 screw where others are 8x32. I was able to attach a fat handle from a Tech using a 10x32 screw on my 1912 and 1924. The 1914 seems to be 8x32 (I haven't bought anything for it yet).

GEM had two thread sizes - earlier ones were smaller, like the Damaskeene. Likewise, earlier Ever Ready, so the 1914 and the "Brooklyn" 1912s.

For GEMs 1919 (ish) and onwards, Valet handles will fit. Also, you can use an M5 grub screw and pretty much any DE handle; just measure the depth of the handle you want and buy a grub screw, accordingly.

So for a 1912 I could use a set screw or stud and most DE handles?

Maybe. Most Gem 1912's have the larger 10-32 thread which is the same as modern DE's, so you can indeed use a setscrew to mount a modern handle. However, Gem Damaskeenes and some Gem 1912's use the smaller 8-32 thread - no go. The Gem 1912's with the low profile head mostly seem to have the smaller thread.

All the Ever-Ready 1912's that I have seen have the larger thread. Here is one of them with a Maggard Razors MR3 handle:

$sotd11_13.JPG

The Ever-Ready 1924 shovelheads also have the larger thread. Here is one of them with the same handle:

$sotd11_17b.JPG

Unfortunately, all the Ever-Ready 1914's use the smaller thread. I have a user-grade 1914 that I am thinking about drilling out and tapping to take the larger handle.

Lather Catchers also have the small thread, which is okay because putting a modern handle on a Lather Catcher Just Seems Wrong.

--Bob

There are some Ever Ready 1912s (and Star, for that matter) which use the smaller thread - generally, and I mean very generally, these will say "Brooklyn" inside the cap.

In fact, the razors (GEM and Ever Ready ... and Star) which have the smaller thread are also uniquely identified as having a curved cap (like the Damaskeene) rather than a flat cap, as per the 1912 with the larger thread.

proxy.php

Curved cap (small thread) left ... Straight cap (large thread) right.

Top Bottom