What's new

I don't need a BBS-1 right?

I'm new to this all, I'm still getting used to my AS-D2 and can't do more than three passes w/o irritation. I've got the Rockwell 6S on order, and the Beluga, and the ATT S1.

Ive even got a MTO and a Tech (not a fan of the Tech after first use, it skipped a lot).

The BBS-1 sounds great, quality machining and forgiving but close shaving razor (am not even getting DFS with my AS-D2).

I am wary that it'll go the way of Tradere or the 2011 41, and just disappear before I can try it.

And clearly I'm a sucker for the envelope pushers.

But the real question is, would I get a better shave with the BBS-1 than with an S1?

You forgot you also need a RazoRock Slant :lol:

But seriously: I don't think you will really appreciate any of these razor, if your technique is not up there. The AS-D2 is definitely a great razor (I haven't tried it myself, but read very good reviews) and also a mild razor. So I would recommend you put all those other orders into a drawer for the next couple of months until you get consistent great shaves with the AS-D2...

However I know, that the RAD has bitten you, you will try them all out, start to buy more and sell and trade others...and years down the track you will realise, that you should have listened to this advice :wink2:

Yep I wrote that, and that's why I am trying to talk it out with those that have come before me.

Trying not to hype up, but when every review is saying you can practically get a BBS shave in the dark w/o shredding your face (something that sounds great to a beginner), it's hard to not hype up.

Its hard when the tech skipped across my face (minimal pressure right), and the reviews of the BBS-1 elude to it being a super smooth shave.

If you get irritation after 3 passes with the Feather razor, and find a Tech skipping, you're gonna hurt yourself with a BBS-1 razor. It's forgiving, but it's not a cotton ball. Also, consider sources. For some of the more evangelical BBS-1 users, the prior favorite razor was the R41. Forgiving is easy to discover if that's the starting point. (I think it's surprisingly forgiving, too, but I'm another one who was using the 2011 R41 with good results before).

That is, unless you just get it and put it away for a good while, just out of fear of its disappearance. You can do that, but I would think that, as of today, it's not something you'll be able to shave with -- not without damage. (You're not the only one with stainless addiction, or rainbow-chasing. I regret failing to jump on a Tradere or two back when I couldn't likely shave with it! But there's always another razor to discover).

Last edited:
I'm not saying the BBS-1 is good or bad, not having used one, but I reckon it's unlikely to be the one razor to outperform all the others. Yes, it has got great reviews so far, but there will be a backlash at some point, as with almost all other new products which hit the B&B world. ATT razors and MdC soap seem the most loved, but even they have their detractors.

But seriously: I don't think you will really appreciate any of these razor, if your technique is not up there. The AS-D2 is definitely a great razor (I haven't tried it myself, but read very good reviews) and also a mild razor. So I would recommend you put all those other orders into a drawer for the next couple of months until you get consistent great shaves with the AS-D2...

I'll echo what alfredus has said. My AS-D2 has been my daily driver for the last 9 months. I have found that, after mapping my beard (it goes in crazy different directions on my neck), with good prep, good soap and a sharp blade (I use PolSilver SI 90% of the time, with Gillette Platinum and Perma-Sharp Super blades as a change of pace), I can get DFS-BBS on 3 passes with zero irritation. I have a tough beard and sensitive neck so my experience may not be the same as yours.

I remember reacting with "yeah sure" when more experienced guys would say things like that when I was starting out. I now find that they were right. Be patient, work on prep and technique.

Of course, YMMV and I have not used a BBS-1. Oh, and I'm waiting to pick up a Razorock Slant so there's no taming the RAD.

Last edited:
If you can't get a good shave from a Tech, then something is wrong with either your lather or your shaving technique. A Tech with a sharp blade shouldn't skip at all.

"No pressure" is a mantra that isn't always true. Maybe you're holding the razor so gingerly on your face that it's not even engaging the hairs properly? A more likely reason is that your lather isn't up to snuff. But to cut hairs you have to have the blade contacting the face. With a Tech you can even add a tiny bit of pressure provided you keep an extremely shallow shaving angle.

I would work with what you have for awhile and get the process nearly perfected before I'd sink more than $200 into a new stainless razor. But that's just me.

Oh, and in answer to the thread title question: No, no you don't.

You don't NEED another razor. Razors are just implements that allow you to put the blade to your face. Any of them will do the job if you know how to use 'em. There is some variability in how they shave, but ultimately they're nothing more than another contraption whose sole job is to allow you to put a razor blade to your face. They're not as different as people make them out to be.

.... and.... he's on the list for a BBS-1.
(My prediction, anyway!)

Listen to kingfisher -- I bet the skipping tech is a matter of a poor lather, too.

I'm new to this all, I'm still getting used to my AS-D2 and can't do more than three passes w/o irritation. I've got the Rockwell 6S on order, and the Beluga, and the ATT S1.

Ive even got a MTO and a Tech (not a fan of the Tech after first use, it skipped a lot).

The BBS-1 sounds great, quality machining and forgiving but close shaving razor (am not even getting DFS with my AS-D2).

I am wary that it'll go the way of Tradere or the 2011 41, and just disappear before I can try it.

And clearly I'm a sucker for the envelope pushers.

But the real question is, would I get a better shave with the BBS-1 than with an S1?

Using short strokes and taking my time with the AS-D2, I would get DFS shaves easily. That being said, it was a bit of work. But I loved the mildness of the razor as I couldn't cut myself with it.

I've also owned the other 3 razors you've mentioned. The Tradere Solid Bar for me was one I gave up on too easily. Just as smooth or possibly smoother than the AS-D2, and even more efficient. Just a wonderful razor that I regret selling.

As for the 2011 R41, just way too aggressive. It was a harsh shave for me. I've since then discovered that I don't like aggressive razors or ones with large blade gaps. But maybe you're looking for an aggressive razor.

As for the BBS-1, it is an aggressive razor. Don't let others make you think it's not. Often people confuse aggression with harshness of shave. For me, the BBS-1 is very, very smooth, but it has a large blade gap and exposure, hence it is an aggressive razor. Which explains why people who have used the R41 enjoy it. However, I did not and sold the BBS-1.

The ATT S1 is based off the R plate only at a slant. The R plate has quite a bit of blade gap and exposure so the S1 will be an aggressive razor. That being said, I've never had a smooth shave with the ATT R plates. It felt too harsh for me and led to many cuts.

If you're asking whether you'll get a better shave with the BBS-1 than the ATT S1, that's hard to say. The S1 is not out yet. But if it's based on the R-plate, then the BBS-1 I think will be a lot smoother and enjoyable shave for you. Not sure if that means it will shave closer, but more carefree and without irritation.

Using anything more than one razor when you're starting is a recipe for burning out. You need consistency to learn correct technique.

Buy all the razors you want, but keep them locked up. There is nothing wrong with any of the ones that you have already.

Sorry to say, but the reason you're getting irritation and not even DFS is you.

Thank you for the sobering words. It seems like both the ATT and BBS-1 are beyond my skill at the moment, and in reality they aren't really needed as I can only shave with one razor at a time.

Any suggestions on the right way to use a AS-D2? I feel like I am getting good audible feed back, but after three passes straight down (my hair all grows to the right except most of one cheek which grows down, but I wanted to keep things easy when starting out and have just been shaving down).

I have been building great lather the last two days with T&H 1805 and a Plission. So it's got to be me (the irritation was due to shaving twice a day two days in a row when I first got the Feather).

Thank you for the sobering words. It seems like both the ATT and BBS-1 are beyond my skill at the moment, and in reality they aren't really needed as I can only shave with one razor at a time.

Any suggestions on the right way to use a AS-D2? I feel like I am getting good audible feed back, but after three passes straight down (my hair all grows to the right except most of one cheek which grows down, but I wanted to keep things easy when starting out and have just been shaving down).

I have been building great lather the last two days with T&H 1805 and a Plission. So it's got to be me (the irritation was due to shaving twice a day two days in a row when I first got the Feather).

You would almost certainly get better results with an XTG pass rather than one or even two of the WTG ones.

How long have you owned the AS-D2? It took me several weeks to really appreciate what it is capable of. I don't get BBS yet, but DFS with 3 passes is quite easy. In my first few weeks of ownership I was barely getting SAS.

So you've mapped your beard - Good
Ignored the map of your beard - Bad

Since you are starting out, WTG then XTG then ATG (if you like ATG). While you are making three passes, they are all XTG and in the same direction. You're really not shaving any more whisker on the 2nd and 3rd pass than you were on the 1st. If you are, you're probably applying more pressure than you should, hence the irritation. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to maneuver the razor with the different grains on your face/neck.

If you are worried about missing out on the BBS-1, then by all means buy one. While I don't think it is beyond your skills, you are ignoring other important parts of the shave and those need to improve before you experiment too much.

Finally, while I say WTG then XTG then ATG, this is no hard and fast rule. When I'm shaving daily, I shave XTG and then XTG/ATG (on a slant) because the hairs are short enough. After two days, WTG, XTG, ATG. After three to four days, WTG, XTG, XTG (opposite), ATG.

PS - While feedback is nice, it may not be the optimal shave angle for you. Experiment and find the angle that cuts the most efficiently for you.

The razor I recommend for you is the Tech you already have. Or a RiMei.

Until you get a good shave consistently without irritation, new hardware will not help you.

Tell us about your blade, your lather, how many passes, how much time, because it is all technique.

Tell us about your blade, your lather, how many passes, how much time, because it is all technique.

I'm using a Feather AS-D2 with feather blades

I also have Derbys, Astras, Dorco 301's, and Gillette Platinums. But I've only used Dorcos with the MTO, the gillettes with the tech, and the feathers with the feather.

I use a light amount of T&H 1805 with a Plission brush, bowl lather, using my sink as a scuttle. The foam is similar to canned foam, but slightly slicker.

I've been doing three passes straight down to just kind of get my angles down. Today at the urging of another poster I shaved WTG, XTG, and ATG. Shave isn't much closer, and I did get a few weepers.

My shave is about 15 minutes long

Buy what you want. but as others have said, pick one, put the rest away for now and work on technique.

I read something that was a great help it developing a feel for what was correct for angle and pressure.

Don't try to shave the hairs, just try to remove all the lather. You will be amazed when it clicks.

Enjoy the journey.

Top Bottom