What's new

How a master shoemaker shines shoes

It would be if I had some light tan, dark tan, black, brown, chestnut and ox-blood ones.

I guess if you feel the need to actually have them pre-colored the same as the polish, but the act of polishing tends to do that for you! :p

I rotate out my undershirts often enough to outpace wearing out the rags I use for shoe polishing. I get 5-6 good rags out of each shirt, and each one works for a couple colors. Just use opposite ends or different spots.

Those are Stafford Deacon boots from JCPENNEY. I paid about 50.00 for them. I can't go anywhere in them without someone raving about them.

Cheap beater pair. I mainly bought them to see if I would like a pair of Daltons one day. They looked nothing like this out of the box but the leather is decent for this price point.

I darkened the tips myself as well as the rest of the boots. Meltonian medium brown as a base cream to darken it from the Stafford cognac finish topped with Angelus light brown wax polish. Fielbus edge dressing, brown/sand Kiwi laces.

I saw a pic of some AE Daltons on the Web and tried to match it. Just love the way they turned out.

Thanks for the positive reviews.

Looks like they might have discontinued them. I was so close to buying them last week.

Looks like they might have discontinued them. I was so close to buying them last week.

Penneys is goofy like that with their Web site.

One day you can't find them, the next day you can.

Don't pay 99.00 for them if you do find them. I had to "order" them to use an online discount code even though they were in store locally to get that price. Shipping to that same store was free.

Try again tomorrow or next week. They will pop up again.

Last edited:
I have the Saphir wax in the small glass jars,but I have not run across their deluxe waxes,as pictured here,anyone tried them ?.Any U.S. online vendors ? ..Also,I have never seen anyone in my area sell S&W wax,is it rebranded Kiwi ?

Attachments

• $s&w.jpg
    $s&w.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 130
  • $saphir-polish-light-br.jpg
    $saphir-polish-light-br.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 129
  • $saphir.JPG
    $saphir.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 129
Yeah the "deluxe" stuff in those blue and yellow tins is actually the lower-end product. Still good, but not the top end stuff. For some reason the only place that I've found to reliably carry the medal d'or is Kirby Allison's Hanger Project, as linked above.

Honestly I think it works the same but the renovateur is magic. I sometime just used the renovateur and cream. The wax just for the toe caps.

Tried Penguin Malaysian wax today,in black.Nice old fashioned twist knob opener,the graphics present well,but the wax itself looked dry,and upon dabbing it,I could see it looked a little dry and cakey,a sign of little oil in the formula.The scent was like todays Lincoln,very mild,not potent like the wax polishes in America 40 years ago,are waxes for shoes under VOC limitations now ?...... I know the French Saphirs are still very aromatic,like way back when...I first wiped the shoes down with a cleaner / conditioner,then applied a thick coat of Penguin and let it sit 20 minutes...I wiped the excess with my hand inside an old cotton sock,then worked the shoes with an economy horsehair brush from the 1950's,American made.After that I used a pro high quality Italian brush and the shine really popped up nicely,very shiney indeed.A quick shoeshine cloth buffing and a very satisfactory shine.Penguin is a little cheaper than most,so I rate it,at least in black,a good buy,and better than todays standard Kiwi waxes.

Attachments

• $IMG_0002.jpg
    $IMG_0002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 117
  • $IMG_0003.jpg
    $IMG_0003.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 117
  • $IMG_0004.jpg
    $IMG_0004.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
  • $IMG_0005.JPG
    $IMG_0005.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 116
Good evening Gents,

Shoe shining is something I hold dear to my heart. I thoroughly enjoy doing it, doing it for other people, and when in airports or in city centers, I always stop for a quick shine when offered. The photos are of a pair of boots I recently worked on. I used Saphir Beaute du Cuire. I recently picked up a bottle of Saphir Medaille D'or that i'm looking forward to trying out. I'm currently looking for a shop that sells Lincoln Stain Wax. I've read and heard good reviews on that.

Regards,

Brijann.

$IMG_0361.jpg$IMG_0365 - Copy.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Good evening Gents,

Shoe shining is something I hold dear to my heart. I thoroughly enjoy doing it, doing it for other people, and when in airports or in city centers, I always stop for a quick shine when offered. The photos are of a pair of boots I recently worked on. I used Saphir Beaute du Cuire. I recently picked up a bottle of Saphir Medaille D'or that i'm looking forward to trying out. I'm currently looking for a shop that sells Lincoln Stain Wax. I've read and heard good reviews on that.

Regards,

Brijann.

View attachment 521659View attachment 521661

Nice looking shine!!

Welcome to B&B!

Thank you for sharing the link. I polish my dress shoes weekly and casual leather shoes once a month. It is always a relaxing experience.

I spent several hours outside in a generous rain today.After I arrived home I took off my black shoes to wipe them off,only to find the Penguin had protected them to a high degree,and the shine and gloss were exactly as before the shoes were rained on,and that includes city sidewalk adventures.Penguin from Malaysia turns out to be an excellent product.

Question for the group: Do you take a horsehair brush to the shoe after every step (Conditioner, cream polish, wax polish) aside from final wax layer?

Question for the group: Do you take a horsehair brush to the shoe after every step (Conditioner, cream polish, wax polish) aside from final wax layer?

I stop with the horsehair after the cream polish. Recently I've only applied the wax with a rag and the results are much better. The wax is all about applying a thin layer and working it in.

Top Bottom