What's new

Best walking shoes? Flat hikes, treadmill, 1-3 miles at a time.

I enjoy the Goruck Ballistic Trainers. Since they are made to be worn while rucking they are very supportive with out being stiff. They come with two different shapes of insoles that actually make an appreciable difference. They come in many different color options also which is nice. Finally they are made in the US and donate to charities that support first responders.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I enjoy the Goruck Ballistic Trainers. Since they are made to be worn while rucking they are very supportive with out being stiff. They come with two different shapes of insoles that actually make an appreciable difference. They come in many different color options also which is nice. Finally they are made in the US and donate to charities that support first responders.

I’m always leery when a company allows reviews on their website and every product has thousands of perfect 5 star reviews. Makes me think they are removing anything they don’t like.

The do look nice though. I’ll probably end up getting 2 pair of shoes so I’ll keep these in mind regardless.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
My daughter is a hospital nurse . I bought her a pair of KURU shoes and she says the cushion and support are great .
I’ve had Kuru’s and they were decent shoes.

I’d go to a running/walking store and have them analyze your gait and measure your foot. Get a shoe based on your gait and foot size. The last thing you want is plantar fasciitis or shin splints from shoes that fit poorly.

Last edited:
Last fall I got a pair of low cut Converse. Never owned a pair before (49 years old).
Next to my beat up and wore out Vibram 5 fingers, absolutely the most comfartable shoe I have had on my feet!
My 5 finger shoes had well over 1000km of backpacking on them...I dont suspect the Converse to last like that!

Jay

In the couple years or so, I've done a LOT of walking in Converse Jack Purcells, and they really are comfortable.

I’ve had Kuru’s and they were decent shoes.

I’d go to a running/walking store and have them analyze your gait and measure your foot. Get a shoe based on your gait and foot size. The last thing you want is plantar fasciitis or shin splints from shoes that fit poorly.
Very true .....

Hoka or Brooks. As previously mentioned in other replies, see if you have a store that does fittings. We have a couple places that are locally owned and typically staffed by trained professionals. They watched me walk, measured my feet and gave me three options. It made all the difference.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The ongoing deterioration of my back and hips means that I can't work all day in a pair of heavy boots with safety toes. My hips can get so stiff I literally have to drag my feet to move them after a couple hours of work.

Last year I finally got my glasses adjusted so I could read the writing on the wall. :) I bought a pair of Keen low cut shoes with composite safety toes, thinking at least they'd be light enough to let me work.

My, how comfortable! Although I have dressier shoes I often put the Keens on if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, or walking in uncertain conditions. I don't see a model number but under the tongue the label says "Keen Utility." I took them with me on vacation last summer, and hiked all over.

O.H.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Gonna give these a try. Never wore the Brooks brand before.

IMG_0748.jpeg

Jim Green Rangers, hybrid between sneaker and boot...waiting on a pair now can't wait to try them, pricey but they can be resoled...foam runner shoes can't be resoled and don't have good components. Though there is always a trade off weight and light materials.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A little snug. But I suppose you don’t want walking shoes loose on your feet. I’ll break em in a bit tonight at work. Test em out good next week. Probably will end up buying a different pair. I like to try a few brands until I settle.

IMG_3383.jpeg
IMG_3382.jpeg

I have an odd arch, Nike are the only brand that don’t feel like the arch support is out of place. I can get 6-12 months out of a pair of “running” shoes just walking depending on if it’s outdoor on the street or inside on a treadmill.

I suggest visiting a local running shoe store. They ain't just for running! They will likely scan your foot and have recommendations for arch support, etc. If the staff is well trained, they can make recommendations to help you avoid injury, even if you are not running.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No “running stores” around me. I’m sure there is one in a bigger town but I’m not willing to drive an hour away for shoes.

Option 2:

if I could not get professionally fitted, I would be inclined to order 3 pairs of a given shoe ie amazon/zappos/ anywhere w free return shipping etc- I would bracket my proposed size 12/12.5/13 and keep the one that fit and send back the other two.

Love the color and Brooks is a great brand.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Option 2:

if I could not get professionally fitted, I would be inclined to order 3 pairs of a given shoe ie amazon/zappos/ anywhere w free return shipping etc- I would bracket my proposed size 12/12.5/13 and keep the one that fit and send back the other two.

Love the color and Brooks is a great brand.

That’s what I’ll end up doing. But so far these Brooks are not bad. Might have got lucky with this pair. I still want to try another brand. I want those NB 900’s or 990’s or whatever they are.

The key for me in picking out walking shoes is equally the shoe and the insert. Most shoe inserts are thin, poorly made and don't work well as a support or cushion. I buy a shoe--currently I have Merrill Moab3 walking shoes--remove the insert and put in a quality insert from Super Feet.

Top Bottom