What's new

Best walking shoes? Flat hikes, treadmill, 1-3 miles at a time.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hey Dudes ain’t gonna cut it. What suggestions you got for walking shoes?
Walking shoes for a treadmill, or outside mostly flat hikes. Not hiking up mountains or off the un-beaten path. Looking for something that will be comfortable continuous walking 1-3 miles at a time.

Last edited:
Last fall I got a pair of low cut Converse. Never owned a pair before (49 years old).
Next to my beat up and wore out Vibram 5 fingers, absolutely the most comfartable shoe I have had on my feet!
My 5 finger shoes had well over 1000km of backpacking on them...I dont suspect the Converse to last like that!

Jay

Best in what sense?

Shoes with arch support, cushion, wide forefoot and narrow heal are important. Little to no break in required. I seldom wear special purpose shoes, trainers or the like. A good pair of Rockport, Alden shoes, or Allen Edmund shoes do just fine.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Last fall I got a pair of low cut Converse. Never owned a pair before (49 years old).
Next to my beat up and wore out Vibram 5 fingers, absolutely the most comfartable shoe I have had on my feet!
My 5 finger shoes had well over 1000km of backpacking on them...I dont suspect the Converse to last like that!

Jay

You mean those shoes where your toes go in to individual toe slots? You really love them that much? Because I’ve heard mixed things about them. Is there a “getting” used to period? like getting over the initial blisters on your toes/feet stage?

I would buy 2 pairs of a running/walking shoes I had fit at a place that specialized in running and walking. I would pair said shoes with some 51%+ merino wool socks, rotating the shoes with an eye toward replacing said shoes every 500-1000miles per shoe.

They will tell you when they are ready.

I presently like Hoka. I was Brooks guy before that and a Merrill Moab guy before that when I was training up for BSA Philmont.

I’m a new balance 990/991 fan since they offer 3E size. No matter the shoe I replace the insoles with Spenco green inserts. I’m a heavy dude and when I used to be much heavier this combination was my go to when I used to jog.

Even all my work shoes, standing and moving around all day, these cheaper/on sale shoes get spenco inserts. By cheap I mean the new balance 608, underarmour $50 pairs etc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You mean those shoes where your toes go in to individual toe slots? You really love them that much? Because I’ve heard mixed things about them. Is there a “getting” used to period? like getting over the initial blisters on your toes/feet stage?

Yeah that's them. Yes very much a breaking in period where you have to use them a little bit as your muscles and tendons get used to the different use. Fit is snug so no blisters per se. I'd recommend getting socks (yeah, toe socks) as otherwise they get sweaty and stinky.

Legion

Staff member
I have a pair of ankle high Keen hiking boots, and they are by far the most comfortable shoes I own for walking/hiking, and I do a fair bit of it.

IMG_7849.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have a pair of ankle high Keen hiking boots, and they are by far the most comfortable shoes I own for walking/hiking, and I do a fair bit of it.
I’ve had a pair of Keen shoes in the past. 2 pair actually. They were pretty comfy now that you mention it.

I like Merrell's low hikers a lot. Fit is most important though, not brand. Any major brand will hold together. A hiker will give more support, a trail runner will be lighter and more flexible.

Arcteryx Approach Shoes should be suitable for everyday, short and flat hikes and good walking shoes. If you can get the Artcteryx Arakys approach shoe, go for that one. It's a low cut shoe, with an interesting lacing system and a flexible heel, which turns it into a slip-on.

If you can't find the Arakys, as it is discontinued (but may be still available at some vendors), go for the Aerios Aura. It's a light, low-cut hiking shoe, but breathable and quite comfortable and it works in the concrete jungle too.

Avoid trail running shoes as the sole wears down quickly on asphalt. Also avoid GTX shoes, unless you plan to cross streams or go hiking for days in inclement weather.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Urban strolls of one to three miles are very common for me. I live a mile or two away from most things I need (supermarket, doctor, railway station, theatre, large retail park) in quite a hilly town. I have two pairs of Karrimor hiking shoes/boots, two pairs of Padders casual shoes (Lunar and Terrain), and two lightweight boots (one Cotswold Shad and one Hotter Rowan).

As a disabled guy who can no longer drive, I need good cushion, good grip, and the shoes have to be comfortable for longer periods, as I don't cover the same distance in the same time as I used to 10 years ago.

IMG_20210809_151126_edit.jpg

IMG_20210707_134926.jpg

IMG_20210809_150355_edit(1).jpg

IMG_20211202_170348.jpg

1102658-a39c0e5d03eaec5b2a2a28c205a35fbd.jpg

1102661-b9339cd2279ec6e27326313b9ebede9f.jpg

I do have heavier leather boots, and lighter of less cushioned shoes that I can cover the same distance in, but not to the same level of comfort as the ones shown above.

Ya I loved them. Basically its like walking in barefoot. You just dont get poked in the sole of your foot.

First time I wore them was with a backpack...was a tough few days. Calves were mighty sore.

V-Trail 2.0 Men's - https://www.vibram.com/us/shop/fivefingers/men/v-trail-2.0-mens/M76_BlackYellow.html

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have Merrill MOAB and a similar pair of Keen, both are comfortable, fairly cheap and get the job done. I suspect a well fit pair of sneakers would also get the job done.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I live in a neighborhood with lots of steep hills and take daily three mile walks. A cheap pair of Adidas Galaxy 5 has been my walking shoe. They are no longer made, and as they approach replacement time, I plan to find something similar. They are cushy but still have decent arches, and their soles do not have the pronounced flare that most running shoes have these days. That flare provides added stability for running, but for walking it can contribute to mishaps, at least for me. Anything that does not give you blisters might work, but if you commit to regular walking, having optimal shoes will help reinforce the habit.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The latter part of my nursing career I always wore New Balance 900 series walking shoes. In the past I always got my monies worth from them and they remained comfortable until they wore out. Since just before my retirement, their selection of colors/finishes has been limited and the last pair wore out too soon by having the soles separate prematurely. I still have a brown pair that are nice for casual wear and they should last a good while as I'm not wearing them every day, as I was when I was working. I have found Keen trail shoes very comfortable. I also like the Sketcher shoes for slip on comfort, well cushioned and depending on the model, good support for walking.

I would buy 2 pairs of a running/walking shoes I had fit at a place that specialized in running and walking.
I second this if you are having issues with your feet. I did this when I first started running, as I was pretty sore. I ended up with Saucony Guides. For my feet, they felt the best. If you aren't really having issues with your feet, really any walking/running shoe will be a step in the right direction. It doesn't sound like you're going to be super hard on them, so they should last a fair amount.

My own experience - I had a pair of Converse recently that I really enjoyed. However, they started to break down fairly quickly. I wore them on a vacation where we did a lot of light walking, and ended up with some achilles tendonitis. Also, listen to your feet and not your eyes. I have a bad habit of looking at my shoes and saying "these still look good" without consideration for how the arches may have broken down.

For what you describe I vote Brooks Glycerin. Thank me later I've been using Brooks Glycerin for 18-20 years on a podiatrist's recommendation . I've been looking at the latest model and they look very different than former years, has the cushioning or support changed ?

Top Bottom