What's new

How a master shoemaker shines shoes

There is a recent thread that was looking for an old post about how we loose in life by not taking time. I think that's apropos here as well.
I agree. Wet shaving really opened my mind to slowing things down. I just wish I had learned these skills earlier in life rather than later.

I don't do as many steps and my look comparable .

The additional steps aren't so much about looks as they are about leather care and conditioning. The application of conditioner and cream Polish feed the leather and deepen the pigment. Then the multiple applications of wax not only build a shine but a decent protective layer that will guard against damaging scuffs and liquids.

Personaly, on "fresh" leather, I usually do 3-4 coats of cream polish before starting with wax

Here's a tip for some cheap shoe cloth acquisitions. Visit your local charity shop/thrift store and buy some kids' cotton t-shirts in all the colours you need for your shoes and their respective polishes. That's it. As you were.

Here's a tip for some cheap shoe cloth acquisitions. Visit your local charity shop/thrift store and buy some kids' cotton t-shirts in all the colours you need for your shoes and their respective polishes. That's it. As you were.

good idea on where to get them. I've already got a bunch I keep on hand for cleaning firearms.

...For me,I wear Brooks cross trainers most everyday,and for leather shoe days I polish them every time I wear them,and give them a good deep cleaning,conditioning and then polishing maybe every 2 months.

When you say "polish" every use, do you mean with a cream polish or wax polish? I'm thinking the video shows the 100% soup to nuts shoe care, but if I want to clean up my shoes every week or two, I'd assume just a cleaning and wax polish is the way to go, correct?

.......Yes,this answers it...I prefer the high gloss shine,so I use a cleaner first,then a conditioning cream to soften and moisturize the leather,then the waxing to achieve the gloss.As long as you condition the leather,I don't think you will see cracking,even after 20 years really.I also think you can wax (only) the shoes several times before you need to do the cleaner-conditioner-wax &polish routine.

Rare is the day that I don't polish some shoes. Keeping them polished doesn't take nearly the time that other chores do.

I find it similar to keeping my knives (kitchen and pocket) sharp. A little love daily keeps them ready to go with little time spent.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416440545.932116.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416440570.521753.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416440594.106131.jpg

The British really go for the burnished tips,not so much in America.Did you buy these burnished,or did you darken the tips yourself ?

Fitzpatrick apparently formulate his own but i'm not surprised its from other manufacturers. I do my own polishing too and i find it therapeutic. It doesnt take that long probably an hour for a pair shoe, and i brush it after every use and the shine it should last at least 6 months. And i find the shoes last much longer rather than sending it to the shop. I've got a Loake that is coming 5-7 years.

But if you thought shoe snob's polish was amazing you got to have a look at this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzNkhJsJm8

Looks like one of you experts should put together a guide for us common folks stating products and procedure for each step. I never realized that shining shoes was such an art. In the past, I put on two coats of Meltonian policy brushed each coat and that was it. However, the results here are truly outstanding.

The British really go for the burnished tips,not so much in America.Did you buy these burnished,or did you darken the tips yourself ?

Those are Stafford Deacon boots from JCPENNEY. I paid about 50.00 for them. I can't go anywhere in them without someone raving about them.

Cheap beater pair. I mainly bought them to see if I would like a pair of Daltons one day. They looked nothing like this out of the box but the leather is decent for this price point.

I darkened the tips myself as well as the rest of the boots. Meltonian medium brown as a base cream to darken it from the Stafford cognac finish topped with Angelus light brown wax polish. Fielbus edge dressing, brown/sand Kiwi laces.

I saw a pic of some AE Daltons on the Web and tried to match it. Just love the way they turned out.

Thanks for the positive reviews.

Top Bottom