What's new

Broke the Seal

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman dry snuff. I'm glad this is very similar to the pipe blend.

proxy.php

I just popped open a tin of Dan Tobacco Holly's Discovery last night. It had a decent amount of age on it. Boy is this stuff good. It's LAFL material.

View attachment 519023

In conjunction, I popped this tin of Dullhill Light Flake for the LE pipe.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416017561.615387.jpg

My first was an unnamed OTC. It blew my mind. The intensity of the smell, the thick overpowering aroma. I couldn't even believe that tobacco could smell so good (after growing up with a cig smoking father. Foul smelling things).

Second was a SG Balkan Flake. Freak out in a good way. Possibly the most exciting thing I'd seen in years. Thick flakes, intense aroma. Third was an OGS. Oh my. Plums, hay, thick and sweet, yet fresh and lively. Let me just say, pipe smoking has been a tremendous adventure from the very start. I'm still excited every time I manage to place an order. Like a little kid.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Have been very curious about the new blends that Missouri Meerschaum has came out with and just received all four in the mail a few days ago. Opened the pouch of the American Patriot last night, which is a Latakia blend. I haven't had any experience with Latakia before last night, I am a very casual pipe smoker, sticking mainly to local tobacco shop blends or a few OTC's.

After smelling the very strong aroma coming from the pouch, I didn't think I would like it. Smelled like a forest fire. Went ahead and fired up a bowl and was pleasantly surprised. Enjoyed every minute of it. Now the barbeque smell is growing on me! :)

This past week, I opened the Penzance that I won at the auction. No special occasion, it was just time. It's a wonderful smoke. I wish it was easier to come by.

$100_3327 (800x600).jpg

This magical blend! I first had it at the McCranie's store on Park St. in Charlotte. If you ever get a chance to go there, Tom will take good care of you. Anyway, Tom offered me a bowl of the Red Ribbon. I had already made my purchases at this point and I was smoking it while going out the door. That 90 minute ride home was too short! I was enjoying that bowl the whole time. So, needless to say, I bought some and had it delivered. Yeah, it is just as I remembered it. Great stuff!

Have been very curious about the new blends that Missouri Meerschaum has came out with and just received all four in the mail a few days ago. Opened the pouch of the American Patriot last night, which is a Latakia blend. I haven't had any experience with Latakia before last night, I am a very casual pipe smoker, sticking mainly to local tobacco shop blends or a few OTC's.

After smelling the very strong aroma coming from the pouch, I didn't think I would like it. Smelled like a forest fire. Went ahead and fired up a bowl and was pleasantly surprised. Enjoyed every minute of it. Now the barbeque smell is growing on me! :)

You chose a great blend to introduce you to latakia. Welcome to the latakia lifestyle!

OkieStubble

You chose a great blend to introduce you to latakia. Welcome to the latakia lifestyle!

Thanks CC! I think that one bowl of Latakia last night spoiled me. I opened a pouch of Great Dane from MM today. It is a cherry/vanilla Cavendish blend. It wasn't bad at all, but I just kinda, felt, "meh" thru out the smoke.

Haven't stopped thinking about that Latakia in American Patriot since last night. Feels like it's calling now, kinda creepy. ;) I'm already looking thru my pipes and cigars mailer at some Dunhill Nightcap, Lol'd.

Thanks CC! I think that one bowl of Latakia last night spoiled me. I opened a pouch of Great Dane from MM today. It is a cherry/vanilla Cavendish blend. It wasn't bad at all, but I just kinda, felt, "meh" thru out the smoke.

Haven't stopped thinking about that Latakia in American Patriot since last night. Feels like it's calling now, kinda creepy. ;) I'm already looking thru my pipes and cigars mailer at some Dunhill Nightcap, Lol'd.
proxy.php

Let the latakia flow through you!

Since you're looking on P&C, check out Balkan Sasieni and P&C's exclusive H&H Marquee WhiteKnight.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39848/balkan-sasieni/#p-96185
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/80052/hearth-home-whiteknight/#p-150333

...ok that's kinda diving in the deep end. Test the waters with Frog Morton.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39933/mcclelland-craftsbury-collection-frog-morton/

OkieStubble

Thanks for the links caveman, I think I will wade in slowly before jumping into the deep end. :) Frog Morton purchased!

proxy.php

Let the latakia flow through you!

Now THAT is a great post. Well done, sir. Very well done.

Rob, if you are looking for some good latakia blends, then by all means don't overlook Squadron Leader, or Larry's Blend. Of course when you are fully indoctrinated into the dark side, you will crave some Gaslight and 3 Oaks Syrian!

Come to the dark side, we have Latakia!

Of course when you are fully indoctrinated into the dark side, you will crave some Gaslight and 3 Oaks Syrian!

IMO, 3OS is a great beginner's blend, not something that requires you to be fully indoctrinated...but I do not recommend it because it is a doomed species -- recommending it is bad for the person who falls in love with it because they fall in love with something that will go away, and it's bad for those of us who already love it because it's one more person buying from the limited stock.

IMO, 3OS is a great beginner's blend, not something that requires you to be fully indoctrinated...but I do not recommend it because it is a doomed species -- recommending it is bad for the person who falls in love with it because they fall in love with something that will go away, and it's bad for those of us who already love it because it's one more person buying from the limited stock.

They have like a decade's worth of stock left. If you like it, just buy a dozen tins if you're worried.

They have like a decade's worth of stock left. If you like it, just buy a dozen tins if you're worried.

When Greg Pease's warehouse burned (as did all of his tobaccos including his Syrian Latakia) he went to McClelland's to see if he could buy some. They said no.....they are keeping it for their own uses. 3 Oaks Syrian will be around awhile, I am thinking.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I haven't opened it yet (today may be the day) but I believe the next one I open for the first time will be Rattray's Red Rappare. Very much looking forward to this one!

Top Bottom