What's new

Arko. Why Nothing Can Beat It For You.

I've been using Arko for a couple of months now and out of everything I've used so far nothing really beats it out yet.
So my question to you isn't why Arko is your favorite soap it's why can nothing knock it off your pedestal for the #1 position?

Stuff I've used:
1. Arko Puck(Still #1 even if it dries out my face the most.)
2. Cella Brick(Only twice used but I know it's only gonna get better even if 'm not a fan of the scent.)
3. Proraso White Croap.
4. Proraso Green Cream.(Used once. If it always feels so "creamy" I'll use all of it and not buy any again[I traded for this])
5. Canned goo by P&G.(Obviously last place.)

I know my experiences are still limited thus far so I've a huge amount of time for that list to fluctuate but this is my currant list at DE shaving for about 3 months now.

If the Arko puck (which is what I use) is drying your skin out, load more product and more water. When I first started with it, it was doing the same for me, quite drying. Now that I'm using it more and more, I load more product and work the lather more, with even more water, on my face (face lather). Since I've been doing that, Arko seems to like my face better. Just a suggestion.

If the Arko puck (which is what I use) is drying your skin out, load more product and more water. When I first started with it, it was doing the same for me, quite drying. Now that I'm using it more and more, I load more product and work the lather more, with even more water, on my face (face lather). Since I've been doing that, Arko seems to like my face better. Just a suggestion.

Oh I know that, I get a perfect Arko lather every time with no problem. It would likely be better if the water wasn't so hard around where i am but I'm not bothered to use water softeners or even to count how many PPM I have. I really only care if whatever product I use works from the only sinks I have access to or not.

I just made my first Arko purchase and I'm looking forward to using it next week! It got two sticks for $4.50 and free shipping on Amazon. I've seen a lot of great reviews about this stuff so hopefully it works well for me. If it works as well as advertised and I don't think it smells like a urinal puck, it may be a soap I'll have to load up on based on the price alone.

May I suggest you to try the following soap sticks:
Speick
Tabac
Palmolive
Valobra
La Toja
and there are a couple more to test...

I am sorry you have so little access to quality soaps in Dublin, my friend. Arko is good for cleaning brushes, chasing mosquitos, and little else imo.

I am sorry you have so little access to quality soaps in Dublin, my friend. Arko is good for cleaning brushes, chasing mosquitos, and little else imo.
+1. When I first used it I found it to be OK but not nearly as moistening as the really good soaps like Tabac and MWF. Those days I could stand Arko's scent of public toilet. Today I can't.

I'll never use Tabac. I'm nary a fan of tobaco and honestly hate anything to do with the stuff but that's just my opinion on the stuff.

Now if it was the only single thing I had for whatever reason I'd use it but that's assuming I don't have any bar soap or hair conditioner.
Hair conditioner was awesome when I used it instead of canned goo back when I didn't believe Gillette was worth the money and I used cheap carts.

don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, I love the scent, I love the lather I get from it and I love the portability. BUT I just don't reach for it that much. I have many other things jumping up and down screaming "PICK ME!" when I reach in there. Arko is like the kid in the back of the class with his head on the desk trying not to get called on.

has great qualities, but none knock my socks off. I will never be without it though that's for sure.

I'll never use Tabac. I'm nary a fan of tobaco and honestly hate anything to do with the stuff but that's just my opinion on the stuff.

Now if it was the only single thing I had for whatever reason I'd use it but that's assuming I don't have any bar soap or hair conditioner.
Hair conditioner was awesome when I used it instead of canned goo back when I didn't believe Gillette was worth the money and I used cheap carts.

I think there is a HUGE misconception about TABAC that it smells like Tobacco. IT DOESN"T (obviously YMMV here). I smell more "grandma's house" or even "grandma on a bender" but I can't pick out any tobacco whatsoever. its a great soap, and the smell is strong, there is no doubt about that, but the smell of cigs or an ash tray it is not.

I think there is a HUGE misconception about TABAC that it smells like Tobacco. IT DOESN"T (obviously YMMV here). I smell more "grandma's house" or even "grandma on a bender" but I can't pick out any tobacco whatsoever. its a great soap, and the smell is strong, there is no doubt about that, but the smell of cigs or an ash tray it is not.

I agree completely. I don't smell anything resembling tobacco.

Well, you haven't tried many soaps, but since you have Cella in brick form and Proraso, you have certainly tried good soaps. If Arko beats out those two soaps for you, then you have a winner on your hands:thumbup:

I agree completely. I don't smell anything resembling tobacco.

+1, just because it's called "Tabac" doesn't mean that it smells in any way whatsoever like tabacco. It smells of Citrus, Lavender and flowers if anything.

Supposedly Tabac smells like Tobacco flower, not tobacco leaves. I find it very pleasant and the performance is excellent. Arko is another great performer. One of the best in my opinion. Almost as good as Tabac, but oh so much less expensive. I've got a box of it and expect to always have plenty.

Arko is great! Even with hard water, just use lots of water and it won't be drying to your skin. Regarding stick recommendations, keep in mind that sticks such as Valobra and Tabac sell at a much higher price point than Arko. I do really enjoy those sticks--yes, they provide a more luxurious lather--but Arko provides a great shave at a super low price. (La Toja is fantastic if you can purchase it in Spain, for about 2 euros.)

I used to use Arko as my weekday daily driver and I don't care what anyone thinks about the scent, it is a superior product and performer, I just ended up liking Cella a little more, so it took over, ARKO surpasses the snobby soaps easily and is a fantastic product!

Well it's still early days for me with cella. I'd really need a couple of weeks of straight use with it to really say I still prefer arko.

It's the same story with my proraso green cream, so far I don't like the menthol and I don't like the creamy feeling it has on my face.

If a kilo of cella works out ask better value than arko and I start to favor it I'll probably get that.

You sir, are correct. Nothing beats Arko.

Arko beats Herban Cowboy, but so does nothing...

Last edited:
Top Bottom