What's new

Favorite Cover Songs

I'm no musician, but I love listening to music. I would imagine that it's hard to make a great song, but that it's also pretty tough to make an awesome cover of a great song. You know, one that is true enough to the original, but different enough to make it unique.

I'm a big fan of the Grateful Dead and I think they did a great job of covering some amazing songs, but It's All Over Now Baby Blue is probably my favorite GD cover song:

Some other cool/interesting covers that I've heard recently are Mrs. Robinson from the Lemonheads and Ring of Fire by Social Distortion.

What are some of your favorite cover songs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, you can only inlcude one video per post. Here's Mrs. Robinson ...

Beach Boys doing "Crocodile Rock" Nobody ever has to do this song again!

I love cover songs. I think my all-time favorite would have to be Jimi Hendrix' version of All Along the Watchtower. It goes so far beyond the Bob Dylan version, it's pretty amazing.

SRV - Little Wing
Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane
CCR - Heard It Through The Grapevine
UB40 - Red Red Wine
Black Crowes - Hard to Handle

off the top of my head, will think about this a bit more

Bettye LaVette shows the Who how it's done, in front of them and to their astonished applause:

Also being a big Grateful Dead fan, I have to agree that some of my favorite songs they did were covers.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Me First and the Gimmee Gimmes have done lots of great covers, one of my favorites is Goodbye Earl.[/FONT]

Top Bottom