What's new

Tips for a Starter?

Greetings, all-

I started wetshaving with a DE razor a couple months ago and I'm so taken with the hobby that I just KNOW I'll end up adding a straight razor or two to my arsenal. I figure I'd like to start out with a vintage piece so as I begin to scour the garage sales, flea markets and antique shops, what should I be looking out for? Obviously an older piece will require at least some sprucing up but what is considered minor and what would be considered a lost cause? Are there specs for the piece I should be looking out for?

I plan to ask around my family when I see them during the holidays but sadly, that generation has long since past and any relics will likely be lost to time, so I'll be on my own.

HELP!

$IMG_0635.jpg
One Day I will have this restored. It belonged to my Great Grandfather

That's a beautiful piece! You're lucky it stayed in the family for so long. I don't think I'll have quite the same fortune. My family has always been the type to purge unnecessary stuff regularly. Things are retained for a short period but when the sentimental value wears away, it's just one more piece of unused junk.

Picking one up will likely need to still be honed. If you'd like a low cost vintage: look at whipped dog. Larry is great to deal with.

Picking one up will likely need to still be honed. If you'd like a low cost vintage: look at whipped dog. Larry is great to deal with.
+1

There are also forum members here that have great razors that could fill the bill. My first straight was an 11/16 Ed Wusthof that is wonderful. If you go to the BST and start a thread saying that you're looking for a starter straight I'm sure you would get a great razor.

I figure I'd like to start out with a vintage piece so as I begin to scour the garage sales, flea markets and antique shops, what should I be looking out for? Obviously an older piece will require at least some sprucing up but what is considered minor and what would be considered a lost cause?
Unless the blade has a major dent, or has oxidation running through it, most razors are salvageable.
However, the amount of effort you have to put into them is not always worth it as some with not much work to do on them can always be had on the cheap.
Now the cases, where the work is worth it are:
1/ when there is not much work to do at all. Occasionally we come across some that have been neatly stashed away un-used. Good luck with that.
2/ large razors. Most vintage where 5/8 to 6/8. Larger ones are rare and well thought after.
3/ some brands have cachet. Dubl Duck, Heljestrand, Dorko, Puma, LeGrelot and Filarmonica (not in any representative order) have reputations that boost their appeal.
4/ the razor has some special appeal either because it is an heirloom or because you have other attachment to it because of its name, where it was made, how it looks or whatever.
5/ you really need to kill time.

Are there specs for the piece I should be looking out for?
Cleaning up a blade is a lot of work. Making new scales that don't look like the art work of a 6-year old does too.
So a clean blade with good scales is just easier.

Now also remember that it is unlikely that anything you'll find in the wild will be in any condition to shave. Honing is not difficult but requires some equipment and some basic understanding of the process. Best is to have some experience using a straight before tackling that one.

To try, you have 2 strategies.
You can get a Shave-ready Gold dollar (new) or very basic vintage on the cheap to experiment with little investment.
Or, you can get something nice.

I personally went for the second one as for me, having a nice artefact was part of the appeal.

Top Bottom