What's new

Personna Med Prep

What are these MedPrep blades supposed to look like? I Ordered some off eBay, and am not sure I received the real thing. They don't say med prep anywhere on the blade or wrapper, just Persona, made in u.s.a.

It won't say med prep anywhere on the blade or wrapper. That's just a name we use here internally to describe them. If it says "For Hospital Use" on the blade, it's a med prep.

Here you go:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Robbins Instruments is the best place to purchase them: http://www.robbinsinstruments.com/product/9-74-0002.html

That link is to the Israeli Red Personna's in the UK packaging.

Italian Barber does not carry the Personna Med Prep's.

That link is to the Israeli Red Personna's in the UK packaging.

Italian Barber does not carry the Personna Med Prep's.

OK, thanks Bob.

The few trial ones I have, have the same wrapper as you posted above, but on the blade it does not say "for hospital use". I guess these are a different one again than the Med Prep's?

Yes. Recently, the blue wrappers that say "Super Super" have been changed to plain white wrappers for the Labs; the older stock may have "Super Super" on the wrapper, but the blades will have a Personna logo

The Med Prep will continue using the blue "Super Super" wrappers, and will say "For Hospital use."

Those aren't Med Preps

No, they are Lab Blues, the same that flyboy320 posted.

It's my understanding that Med Preps are simply Lab Blues that have been sterilized. If you want to pay more than twice the price for that, and the words "For Hospital Use" be my guest. I buy Lab Blues.

Med preps are really expensive compared to Lab Blues, and I've also heard it's just the sterilization. $12.99 for 100 Lab Blues is a great deal.

There are multiple views on this with many/most saying the Labs and the Med Preps are effectively the same and others saying Med Preps are better.

If I could sum up the evidence: Microscopic comparisons showed a Lab Blue and Med Prep to be different, but claims were made that this was just blade to blade difference, partly driven by which one came off which machine. Others put forth these photos as evidence of objective differences.

Oscroft ran one (or 2?) blind tests on these and couldn't tell the difference between the two subjectively. Others claim they can but no blind test has been submitted.

Try both and decide for yourself.

Labs are a good blade and ive only tried two or three Med Preps that I received in a trade. I thought the Meds were superior but for the price the Labs are close enough. Ive seen Labs on the bay for $12.99 per hundred.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I hear the lab blues (the Made in USA ones) are a sharper blade. If I like Feathers and Gillette Blue Silvers, will I probably like the lab blues too? I realize YMMV, but you know, generally speaking.

Top Bottom