What's new

Semogue SOC vs Omega 49 Question

I was wondering if anyone has done a side-by-side review/comparison between the Semogue SOC and Omega 49? I've perused the forum, and have not seen one. If I've missed it, perhaps someone can direct me to the proper link. I have seen each brush individually reviewed, as well as SOC vs Omega X, or SOC vs Semogue X, or Omega 49 vs Semogue X, or Omega 49 vs Omega X, but not specifically the SOC vs Omega 49. If one has not been done, I think it would be beneficial. I'd be happy to do one, but certainly don't want to "re-invent the wheel" if it's already been done.

Thanks

$SemVsOmeg.jpg

I welcome your thoughts on these two brushes even if someone has already done this. It would be another point of reference for interested members.

Holy Moly! Is the Omega really that big? I've owned an SOC, and it's a pretty big brush, but the Omega looks huge by comparison.

I'd like you read your thoughts. I've been pondering adding an Omega 49 to my stable.

Last edited:
Holy Moly! Is the Omega really that big? I've owned an SOC, and it's a pretty big brush, but the Omega looks huge by comparison.

I'd like you read your thoughts. I've been pondering adding an Omega 49 to my stable.

It really is that big... and the 48 is even bigger!

I have both. I'm a great fan of Semogue and especially of the Semogue SOC two band badger. It's my favourite brush. Even so I must confess that, when comparing the two brushes mentioned here, that I prefer the Omega. Despite its size it has more backbone and isn't floppy at all. The Semogue SOC boar on the other hand is difficult to use without getting lather in places where it's not supposed to be, but I guess my ears and hair needs a good cleaning occasionally. That said it's still a very good brush but IMHO not on par with the Omega. I'd even say that if I would recommend one really good budget brush it would be the Omega. Once broken in it's nice to the face while still able to shred any soap. To avoid the worst floppieness of the SOC I usually only hold it under running water for about ten seconds before using it. Of course this is only my personal experience. Whatever you chose you'll still get a very good brush. I hope this was to some help.
Regards

I have a cherry SOC. A great brush but bigger than I typically like. I use it for the occasional luxurious shave. Very soft, a little floppy for my taste but a great bowl lather brush. I can't imagine using a bigger brush. I could paint a house with the Omega 48, 49!

And let us not forget the size of the Omega 10098! I believe that it is the largest brush they offer, and it is one of my absolute favorites!

Best of luck in your comparison. I look forward to reading your review. :001_smile

I have both. I'm a great fan of Semogue and especially of the Semogue SOC two band badger. It's my favourite brush. Even so I must confess that, when comparing the two brushes mentioned here, that I prefer the Omega. Despite its size it has more backbone and isn't floppy at all. The Semogue SOC boar on the other hand is difficult to use without getting lather in places where it's not supposed to be, but I guess my ears and hair needs a good cleaning occasionally. That said it's still a very good brush but IMHO not on par with the Omega. I'd even say that if I would recommend one really good budget brush it would be the Omega. Once broken in it's nice to the face while still able to shred any soap. To avoid the worst floppieness of the SOC I usually only hold it under running water for about ten seconds before using it. Of course this is only my personal experience. Whatever you chose you'll still get a very good brush. I hope this was to some help.
Regards

+1
I agree with polarbeard and prefer the omega 49. Excellent brush!

I've had both, still have the SOC, just got an Omega 49 with a shortened loft earlier this month.

SOC has a ton of splay with mostly soft tips and plenty of backbone. Omega is a tighter knot with less splay and more backbone, although the high loft makes it a little floppy like a paintbrush.. Tips seem to vary from a little softer to a little scratchier. Quality of the SOC is much higher. The shortened loft makes it a lot stiffer and it seems to be taking a while to break in.

I have both, the Omega broke-in in no time, and in spite of the dimensions it doesn't feel as large as it is. It appears to be less dense of a knot as a hole forms in the center when you wet it but it has enough backbone that it has a nice dense feel. The tips split almost immediately so it has near perfect backbone/soft tips right now.

The SOC is taking longer to break in although it was pretty nice right out of the box. It has a bit more splay which makes it feel a little larger on my face. I would say the knot is denser but I think after a little more break-in it should have a good combination of soft tips and medium backbone. It's not floppy just has a bit more give than the Omega. I want to like the SOC more since I spent 3x what I did on the Omega but I can't find much wrong with the Omega, well the handle isn't as nice, hollow plastic feels a little cheap. But that's about the worst thing I can come up with on it.

Here goes my comparison/impression of these two popular boars: Semogue SOC vs Omega 49.

First, the facts:

Knot Specs:
The Semogue Owners Club (SOC) has a 24mm knot, and a 57mm loft. It uses “Special Grade Boar” hair.
The Omega 49 has a 27mm knot, and a 65mm loft.

Handle:
SOC has a wood handle, available in cherry or ash. Length is 57mm.
Omega 49 has a plastic handle, available in Red, Black, or White. Length is 63mm.

Cost:
SOC ranges from $40-$45.
Omega 49 is $10.

Now I’ll give my own (subjective, of course) impressions/comparisons between the two. I’ll further denote this as “initial impressions”. My disclaimer is that I’ve had the SOC for only 3 months (but I’ve got 7 other Semogues), and had the Omega 49 for only a couple of weeks (and I’ve got 2 other Omegas).

Lathering Ability:
Both excel equally at bowl lathering; that’s the real strength for both brushes, whether soaps or creams. For me, both are better suited for bowl lathering. I can face lather effectively with them, but it’s more of an effort due to their size, and I’d rather bowl lather with them (just a personal preference with these big brushes).

Face Feel:
Here is where the two brushes diverge. They are quite dissimilar with regard to face feel (not a question of better or worse, just different). Semogue brushes, in general, tend to splay more than Omegas. Now I happen to like and prefer that with my smaller, 55mm lofted Semogues (i.e. 1250, 1305), but not so much with the SOC. The SOC splays quite a bit – too much for me to use more than the smaller Semogues. It splays so much so that I call it a wild brush if trying to face lather – soap will go everywhere – and it thus feels like a much bigger brush than a 24mm knot would seem to indicate. This amount of splay was evident from the beginning really, and not a function of the break in period, IMHO. It still has ample backbone, though. The Omega 49 does not even come close to splaying like the SOC. It has firmer backbone, and even with the 27mm knot, feels smaller than that on the face.
In terms of tip softness, the Omega 49 has softer tips than the SOC when brand new (at least with mine). My SOC has softer tips now, but is still breaking in, IMO, and I’ve been lathering it regularly for about 3 months. Now I’ve only had the Omega 49 for a couple of weeks, but it’s breaking in much quicker for sure.

Hand Feel:
The SOC handle is definitely better than the Omega 49 handle; of course one is wood, and the other plastic. But it’s the weight that really matters to me, not so much the material, and the SOC is heavier and provides better balance, and is super comfortable in the hand. The Omega 49’s plastic handle is really light (and cheap feeling), and not as comfortable in the hand. But keep in mind, the SOC is $40, and the Omega 49 is only $10.

Overall Assessment:
I like both brushes, and use them in my rotation for the large brush experience. Both are super high quality boars and are worthy assets to my ever growing brush stable. To choose one over the other is a difficult choice if I were pressed to make such a choice, because they are so different. The obvious B&B choice is to “get both”. But some folks may only want to get one, and in that spirit, I’d pick the Omega 49 – it’s only $10, and you get a lot of quality bang for the buck with this one. That actually surprises me, because I really like my other Semogues, especially my 1250 (which I love, and is my favorite boar brush!). And I’m not really fond of my other 2 Omegas, but I really like this Omega 49 so far. So there you have it, FWIW - my comparison of two of the most popular boar brushes out there. YMMV, of course.

In short, I agree with Polarbeard.

Great pix! I've got those brushes also. Biggest surprise for me is the 1800 - I like that a lot. How's the 49 feel with the lower loft?

I have both and I find that, though different, they are both great brushes. The Omega took ages to loose the stink but allways gave a great lather. The SOC took longer to "break in" but now gives a great, but different, lather. In use I find the SOC handle to be more comfortable.
I wasted a fortune on top end badger brushes before I discovered the joy of a good boar brush:bored:.

Top Bottom