What's new

Gillette Razor ID Help

I would appreciate help identifying this razor. I always thought it was a New and perhaps a New Deluxe, but am not sure. Only razor I have that I can't place. Had it for years.

It is a standard size, so I don't think it is a Tuckaway.

Frustrating part is that some previous owner had filed off the serial number. I can't fathom a reason why anyone would do that. How much does this filing reduce the value?

Another interesting thing is that it comes apart into 4 pieces. I don't often recall people separating their old razors into 4's, with the blade guard detached from she shaft. Comes back together nice and tight.

I have a nearly 100 year old bulldog that comes apart like this too, but it does not connect back tight - although it is solid as a rock once all pieces screwed in. I am debating oiling it a bit. Bulldog was rather dirty and took a lot of cleaning and polishing. Perhaps it is too smooth now?

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 57
  • $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 58
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 58
i have one just like yours, but mine came with no serial number on it at all. yours though, does look like someone purposely deleted it. will shave just fine though. and you could always epoxy that handle back on to the shoulder piece, if you choose. really wouldnt hurt anything using it as a 4 piece i guess, just a little more hassle.

Very nice. New DeLuxes shave well due to the extra weight vs. the standard New. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Thank you all for your responses so far.

I've used it for years,pretty aggressive. Nice to hear it is a new deluxe, and also surprised to learn some came without serial numbers.

I added a couple more photos regarding the 4 piece - to me it seems this is how the model was made - it connects back nice and very tight.

I hope the images show that it was not originally soldiered in or permanently affixed. I wonder if the pieces on most of these old razors get stuck together from age and we never notice?

On my bulldog, however, the connection is quite loose so far, but the pieces look the same, as if they were meant to separate for cleaning. There was black gunk (maybe oil/adhesive?) around the connection point of the bulldog that I cleaned out. The deluxe did not have any gunk there.

Attachments

• $5.jpg
    $5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 49
  • $6.jpg
    $6.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 49
It happens to Single Rings, etc ... but the handle definitely is supposed to be attached to the base plate.

Serial numbered Deluxe razors were made in 1930, the others were made later in the 30s.

Thanks again.

Makes sense about the single rings. I will see if the bulldog tightens up again with time.

Normally the handle tube is press fit onto the bottom head piece. And then they cracked the tube before shipping them from the factory. I guess they skipped both those steps on yours. :001_smile

Top Bottom