What's new

Petal Pusher Fancies Black Tea - irritation?

I just shaved with PPF Black Tea that I picked up on the BST. Same prep, same brush, same razor, same blade as usual. I got a lot of irritation from this soap - redness and tingling.

I had a mild version of this reaction (maybe a 2 on a scale of 1-10) from Maggard Limes and Bergamot (this PPF was more like a 7). I would have said that it was the Bergamot (which I assume is in the PPF, since it is Black Tea), but I have also tried Cold River Bergamot and Bay and had no reaction at all.

I rushed through a 2-pass shave (WTG/XTG - I usually do a 3rd ATG pass) so I could wash it off, and it was only after finishing that I realized that this was a seriously good soap. Aside from the irritation, I was really impressed by the quality of the lather - slick, great cushioning and left my skin feeling nicely moisturized. The scent is also very nice.

I realize that different people respond to different EO's and FO's in different ways. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of reaction to this PPF or any other PPF soap because I'd really like to put something from PPF into the rotation, given how good it was.

I have never figured out why some soaps burn my skin and others don't . I used to think it was the fragrance oils, and perhaps it is sometimes, but I also think it might be the formulation of the soap base on some soaps. I've had unscented stuff burn like mad and some really heavily scented stuff was just fine. Recently, I had a puck of Haslinger Shafmilch that made my face itch. Some might think it was the lanolin, but I've used other lanolin products without issue. I'm not sure it's possible to tell exactly what ingredient is disagreeing with your face.

I've experienced this with SCS Lime and SCS New Spice. It felt like my face was on fire, sort of like the first time I tried a Feather blade and tore myself up bad. Those are the only two for me so far that have given me any irritation like that. Others can use them without any problems at all. Overall I've tried hundreds of soaps and found only these two that I absolutely can't use. You'd have to look at all of the ingredients and the oils used for the scent and look for a pattern in the ones that give you irritation. Keep in mind that your body can change at any time and something that you've used for years can also cause you irritation out of nowhere as well.

I'd suggest letting Francis at PPF know because she's pretty knowledgeable about soaps and how their ingredients. Maybe she'll know what it is that's causing you problems. Maybe you can get a sample of something else from her to try instead. The coconut one is excellent and likely doesn't share a lot of the same oils that are likely found in the Black Tea.

All is not lost ad you can always trade the Black Tea on the BST for something else to try. It's a great soap so I don't think you'd have any trouble in finding a taker.

I tried the PPF Oakmoss/Sage SS this morning and I also experienced a burning/tingling/uncomfortable feeling on my face. I washed it off immediately and used another product but the feeling continued to linger for awhile. Think I'm going to pass on these.

i had an 8 oz ppf black tea...down to about 2 oz left and i transferred it into an empty TOBS tub...i had irritation at first but have since had good luck with it. really nice soap that when you dial in the right water combo works great and the scent still fills my bathroom.

Top Bottom