What's new

Any Love for Crabtree&Evelyn?

I have Nomad (now named Moraccan Myrhh) & West Indian Lime. I hope to get the sandalwood soon. I find CAE a great value for a triple milled soap. I get lots of lather & it feels good on the face.
Why dont more people like CAE soaps?

Knotty

I have some of the sandalwood. Works pretty good. It was my first "spendy" soap but I only bought the refill. Smells great and worked even better after grating. I think most of the trouble that people refer to regarding the newer formula is water related? Seems to work just fine for me....although, aside from Williams, I havnt found any soap that fell completely flat.

It is a very hard soap, which makes a difference too I think.
When I first started I used Wilkenson then Williams (the only local soaps). I learned how to get lather.

I have some of the sandalwood. Works pretty good. It was my first "spendy" soap but I only bought the refill. Smells great and worked even better after grating. I think most of the trouble that people refer to regarding the newer formula is water related? Seems to work just fine for me....although, aside from Williams, I havnt found any soap that fell completely flat.

Haven't used the newer stuff, but I have used the Sandalwood, Nomad, and Sienna. All of them were good for me, and I loved the scents. I'm not sure why they didn't more love/praise, but that's the way it is sometimes. I wouldn't say they were the best, but there can be a vocal minority that sometimes gives certain brands a bad rap.

I had the hardest time trying to figure out what CAE was. It's normally abbreviated C&E. I've used the sandalwood. It's been a long time, but I don't recall it lathering all that great.

Thats not bad lather
$WIL Lather.jpg

I found the C&E sandalwood soap to be very sensitive to hard water. I struggled the first time I used it and encountered all the problems you have read about here. Next time I used bottled pure water and the results were good. I just installed a water filter so I'm hoping that I this will help with it. I liked all their scents and think they are a good product.

I find that C&E shave products give terrific performance, but I can't tolerate their smell. I've tried the Sandalwood soap, and sniffed at the other flavors in the store, and no matter how good they shave, I don't want to smell like that.

One of my all-time best shaves was with their discontinued Sweet Almond Oil cream. Here again, the performance was stellar, even legendary. But that aroma? Ugggggh! I can just barely stand it long enough to get through the shave, but can't wait to rinse it off and apply some good-smelling ASL and EdC.

I seldom use my SAO cream, but that's because its discontinued and I want my stockpile to last. If it were still in production, I'd probably never use it at all.
But I'm considering including in my will instructions to the undertaker to make my final shave with C&E SAO. I'll be dead, so I won't smell it ... let the mortician deal with the stench. Then again, considering he works with dead bodies and Formaldehyde every day, he probably won't even notice.

I find that C&E shave products give terrific performance, but I can't tolerate their smell. I've tried the Sandalwood soap, and sniffed at the other flavors in the store, and no matter how good they shave, I don't want to smell like that.

One of my all-time best shaves was with their discontinued Sweet Almond Oil cream. Here again, the performance was stellar, even legendary. But that aroma? Ugggggh! I can just barely stand it long enough to get through the shave, but can't wait to rinse it off and apply some good-smelling ASL and EdC.

I seldom use my SAO cream, but that's because its discontinued and I want my stockpile to last. If it were still in production, I'd probably never use it at all.
But I'm considering including in my will instructions to the undertaker to make my final shave with C&E SAO. I'll be dead, so I won't smell it ... let the mortician deal with the stench. Then again, considering he works with dead bodies and Formaldehyde every day, he probably won't even notice.

Never used the cream, but I have a bit of C&E SAO soap and I really enjoy the scent.

I like the previous versions of Sienna and sandalwood, both lather great for me. I didn't care for the scent of the nomad soap. The vintage soaps from the 70s and 80s are even better performers. I can't understand why a company would choose to reformulate a product only to have it perform worse.

I like the previous versions of Sienna and sandalwood, both lather great for me. I didn't care for the scent of the nomad soap. The vintage soaps from the 70s and 80s are even better performers. I can't understand why a company would choose to reformulate a product only to have it perform worse.
It usually has to do with cutting costs during the manufacturing process. Certain ingredients may become hard to obtain, or too expensive, so they devise substitutes.

As we all know by now, "New and Improved" often isn't.

Before they closed up the C&E store near me, I'd ask about the SAO cream every time I went in, and ask if it would be brought back, since it was such a great product. The response I usually got from the salesgirl was "Huh? What is that? I never heard of it."

Have Sienna and Sandalwood in my shaving cabinet and use them from time to time.

Unlike the scent of Nomad, I like the scent of these two and can't complain about the performance, but OTOH the performance is also nothing to get excited about, just adequate.

B.

Top Bottom