What's new

Thinking of buying a Rex Ambassador..

Just for clarification, I do not find the razor aggressive if I dial it down, between 2 and 3. I simply enjoy opening it wide once in a while, and that is when I need to pay attention.

I have a Rex Ambassador and it has become my daily razor. It is built sold and feels good in my hand. I get great shaves using a variety of blades. I don't regret for a minute of purchasing one and it has put an end to RAD for me. The only issue that I had with my razor is the red paint of the indicator dot has faded.

I'm very keen on it.. especially as I have a voucher and combined with my special customer status on the store (as I buy a lot from it!) it will reduce the Rex Ambassador from £250 to around £150. What the hell I maybe order it tonight!

Best way to get info about Blems is calling, or email.

Thank you very much for the help! 🙂

There is some personal preference in the difference between the slim and the Fatboy. The thicker head on the Fatboy works best for me. Not l sure if that’s why or not, but they were very different for me.

Thanks for this! Nice to hear. I've heard this from a lot of people too.. some find the Fatboy works best for them while others prefer the Slim. I'll more than likely get both at some stage.. but I'll see how the Slim goes for the moment.

You are welcome! The Ambassador does look like a very fine razor but just priced out of my range, but if money isn't an object go for it. I have certainly spent more than that on a lot less useful in my life. I just basically tossed another $50 on a razor I didn't need just because I liked the looks of it, the Vikings Blades Meiji adjustable, basically the modern knockoff of a Fatboy but it is a quirky razor to load. Shaves quite nice but is quite aggressive compared to my Slim or FB, setting 2 to 3 is like setting 7 on my Slim. Just not sure the VB razor would be one I would recommend other than it is a nice looking razor. I do have a list of razors I would like to get, the Rockwell 6S, Feather ASD2(a little too expensive again for me), the Parker Variant are a few but I just can no longer spend on any more razors after the Vikings Blade. I have tried a Merkur Futur knockoff and if the real thing is similar I personally wouldn't recommend it, I was just not fond of how the cap snapped on and held the blade and the blade did not feel secure but might have been all in my head though.

You mentioned in another part of your reply about the Slim Aristocrat compared to the Fatboy, I don't think the Aristocrat is any different than a regular Slim other than plating. The FB had a slightly thicker head, a shorter thicker handle and is a little heftier than the Slim. For handling I like the FB because of the handle but I prefer the shave I get from my Slim over the FB. I also believe the Slim on the same setting as the FB is slightly more aggressive feeling to it, I use my Slim on 6 to 7 and seems like at least 8 on the Fatboy is a similar feeling on the shave but it might be just me.

I have a number of other razors such as the Super Speed, Tech, and even a Schick Krona but if it wasn't for the fact they are birthyear razors(not sure about the Krona but it is close) I probably would have gotten rid of them a long time ago, they are on the mild side and I just don't get clean shaves from them.

Let us know how the Aristocrat goes once you get it and give it a test drive.

Thanks a lot! Just when you mention it, I actually have an AS-D2! It was one of the first razors I bought on the more expensive side. It's definitely a very nice razor.. albeit a bit pricey. I got the AS-D2 S which basically is just an AS-D2 with a stainless bullet stand. I liked the look of the wooden one but I feel maybe better off with plain stainless in the long term.. even though I believe the wood is well treated, lacquered or injected to presrve it? I already had a Rocca with birch bark so opted for regular steel.

Yes, indeed. From what I gather the Aristocrat Slim is 100% identical to the regular Slim in every way aside from the plating and fancy presentation box. Unlike the Fatboy, where the knurling was different on the gold Executive version.. I think it was the "squared" knurling like comes on the Slim opposed to the "zig zag" knurling on the regular Fatboy.

I'm not sure if my Slim was originally an Aristocrat Slim or not.. and I don't think there's any way I can tell as the only way would be via the original plating which has been removed and re-done. I think on a lot of the replating stores they call all their gold plated Slims Aristocrat Slims.. I'd doubt they were all Aristocrat Slims prior to plating.

A Rex Ambassador is an excellent razor. It's beautiful, very strudy and well made. The knurling on the handle is the best that I have come across - you will not find a better gripped handle.

The Ambassador is fantastic. But it is pretty blade forward. I didn't mind that, Infact I shaved with the thing wide open. The head of the Ambassador (and I can only speak for the satin finish, haven't tried polished, gold or rhodium) has a tendancy to suck/stick to your face. I think it helped it's efficiency, but some people dont like this aspect.

Buy your Ambassador from a reputable vendor and you shouldn't have to worry if something is wrong with it... Exchange it. Things can always go wrong during manufacturing,regaedless of brand.

The Progress is alot smoother and a very efficient razor as well. You can't go wrong with it. But it's not very pretty. That's about the only complaint I can think of. Some find the head too bumky when trying to shave under their nose. I had no issues.

I also had a Pearl Flexi. Alot cheaper than the Rex. Mine had a problem, the blade gap was uneven/slanted. Managed to fix it myself, the spring was positionned poorly. It's a hair less aggressive than the Ambassador. If you are drawn to the Ambassador because of it's looks...then dont buy a Flexi. It looks blant, boring and uninteresting. It's also very heavy and the handle is not as grippy. You will find more posts regarding issues about Pearls' QC than you find posts about the Ambassador.

I also had a Konsul. I did not like it, at all. Everything I liked about the Ambassador was different on the Konsul. It was milder, I found it less efficient and the superior handle of the Ambassador got swapped out by a handle with another pattern and less grip. I would never advice anyone to buy a Konsul, not for the premium price they are asking. But most everyone who owns one seems to love it. YMMV. I got rid of mine within a week.

Yaqi also has an interesting gibbs inspired adjustable that gets alot of love. I haven't tried it.

Heritage inspired shaving has a replica of the Gibbs that comes closest to the original appearance. The previous batch sold out a while ago, they are working on a new brass or stainless steel version. If you can wait... Maybe thats a good choice. I really liked their latest version, because I believe it comes closest to the original and because the price was fair.

I also had a Rockwell T2, zamac not stainless. Alot milder than the Ambassador. I found the head quite bulky. But it gave me a decent and smooth shave. Maybe too expensive, for whats offered.

In summary:
Rex Ambassador is awesome. The Progress is a very, very good and smooth shaver. The Ambassador doesn't seem to suit everyone.
The Progress would probably be a financially sound bet. But if you are interested in the Ambassador, you'll get one eventually.

Wow! Thank you very much for the fantastic post regarding these razors! I have taken all this on board.. it has been really helpful and is very much appreciated. As for your summary, the last line is very true! Given that I have a voucher I maybe just go ahead and order one.

Just for clarification, I do not find the razor aggressive if I dial it down, between 2 and 3. I simply enjoy opening it wide once in a while, and that is when I need to pay attention.

Aw I see! Thank you! I understand now.. so if I keep it down low below 3 it should be okay. I don't suspect I'd ever want or need to have it dialed up all the way to six anyways. Unless as you indicate just to try it out once in a while! Thanks a lot for all the advice.

I just got it today!

After I'd ordered it I'd read some thread on here about people having issue with alignment which made me a little concerned.

When it arrived I spent a lot of time looking at it with blade in and out and on all settings and to my eyes it looks fine. If it looks good to the eye it should be good, right? If there was any issue I'd imagine you would see it right away.

There seems to be nice even space even all along the length of the blade at all settings.. it also seems to expose the same amount of blade on each side. Then with blade out, the space between the length of the cap and the mounting plate looks good also when adjusting it up to higher numbers.

I've never spent as much time checking a razor out. I think it's just when you hear about these things you get a little paranoid but I guess they are rare occurrences and maybe on earlier razors when they were perfecting the design. Especially when paying for a premium razor, I wouldn't be as particular if it was a £50 razor of course. 🤭

While some people might give it a quick glance to make sure it looks good, I'm pretty obsessive about things such as this, I'll spend ages checking it out staring at it from different angles under light and comparing. I understand its not a good thing to look at these things too long and begin questioning your own judgement as it would drive you crazy. 😆 But yeah, the alignment looks fine to me.

And it's a T3 model razor which I believe is current quarter. I looked on the Rex site for the date codes and I believe that is third quarter of 2023. So it's practically brand new.. made no earlier than July. So no concerns about earlier stock.

As for the shave, well first impressions are it seems good! I put a new Astra SP blade in it and it seemed to give me a nice close shave.. I started out on 1 and felt it was very mild like it was all bar so I put it up to 2 and then 3-ish. I'd imagine 3 would be a good all round setting.. and likely what I'll use it on mostly. When I put it to 3-ish I thought it might be a bit rough for me or leave my face irritated but I can't say it did.. I've no cuts or irritation and when I put on my splash it was no more stingy than I would be with say a Rocca.

I've only had the one quick shave with it so I can't really give any great feedback right off. As our friend @bdehne says, it could take a few shaves to get properly into the way of it and get the right feel of it. I feel like I don't really get the feel of a razor until a few uses! I'll be using it in the coming days. I might even give it another test drive late tonight!

Funny enough, I also got my restored/replated Aristocrat Slim from Chris at Backroads Gold, so now I've two new adjustable razors to try! 🤦‍♂️ Last week I didn't even have one! 😄

I just want to say.. the Slim is awesome. Backroads Gold has exceeded all expectations and I think any razors I buy in future they will be from Chris. He was also very helpful answering my questions about the razors and restoration process. I really can't speak highly enough of my experience with Backroads Gold. The razor literally looks like new.. even better than new! It really looks beautiful.. his work to be seen in the flesh, while photos look great they don't even do it justice!

Just on the subject of adjustables, how do you folks feel the Rex Ambassador compares to the Tatara Muramasa as I believe it's called?

I'd looked at it a few times also but the Rex was working out the more sensible buy for me. The Muramasa is like £320 here which is of course A LOT of money for any razor.

The Rex wasn't exactly inexpensive either at £240 or whatever it was, but it was more convenient it was in stock in my go to store which as noted I had about £75 credit in total due to credit note for a cancelled order and a voucher which I needed to spend anyways.

Thanks all!

I just got it today!

After I'd ordered it I'd read some thread on here about people having issue with alignment which made me a little concerned.

When it arrived I spent a lot of time looking at it with blade in and out and on all settings and to my eyes it looks fine. If it looks good to the eye it should be good, right? If there was any issue I'd imagine you would see it right away.

There seems to be nice even space even all along the length of the blade at all settings.. it also seems to expose the same amount of blade on each side. Then with blade out, the space between the length of the cap and the mounting plate looks good also when adjusting it up to higher numbers.

I've never spent as much time checking a razor out. I think it's just when you hear about these things you get a little paranoid but I guess they are rare occurrences and maybe on earlier razors when they were perfecting the design. Especially when paying for a premium razor, I wouldn't be as particular if it was a £50 razor of course. 🤭

While some people might give it a quick glance to make sure it looks good, I'm pretty obsessive about things such as this, I'll spend ages checking it out staring at it from different angles under light and comparing. I understand its not a good thing to look at these things too long and begin questioning your own judgement as it would drive you crazy. 😆 But yeah, the alignment looks fine to me.

And it's a T3 model razor which I believe is current quarter. I looked on the Rex site for the date codes and I believe that is third quarter of 2023. So it's practically brand new.. made no earlier than July. So no concerns about earlier stock.

As for the shave, well first impressions are it seems good! I put a new Astra SP blade in it and it seemed to give me a nice close shave.. I started out on 1 and felt it was very mild like it was all bar so I put it up to 2 and then 3-ish. I'd imagine 3 would be a good all round setting.. and likely what I'll use it on mostly. When I put it to 3-ish I thought it might be a bit rough for me or leave my face irritated but I can't say it did.. I've no cuts or irritation and when I put on my splash it was no more stingy than I would be with say a Rocca.

I've only had the one quick shave with it so I can't really give any great feedback right off. As our friend @bdehne says, it could take a few shaves to get properly into the way of it and get the right feel of it. I feel like I don't really get the feel of a razor until a few uses! I'll be using it in the coming days. I might even give it another test drive late tonight!

Funny enough, I also got my restored/replated Aristocrat Slim from Chris at Backroads Gold, so now I've two new adjustable razors to try! 🤦‍♂️ Last week I didn't even have one! 😄

I just want to say.. the Slim is awesome. Backroads Gold has exceeded all expectations and I think any razors I buy in future they will be from Chris. He was also very helpful answering my questions about the razors and restoration process. I really can't speak highly enough of my experience with Backroads Gold. The razor literally looks like new.. even better than new! It really looks beautiful.. his work to be seen in the flesh, while photos look great they don't even do it justice!

Just on the subject of adjustables, how do you folks feel the Rex Ambassador compares to the Tatara Muramasa as I believe it's called?

I'd looked at it a few times also but the Rex was working out the more sensible buy for me. The Muramasa is like £320 here which is of course A LOT of money for any razor.

The Rex wasn't exactly inexpensive either at £240 or whatever it was, but it was more convenient it was in stock in my go to store which as noted I had about £75 credit in total due to credit note for a cancelled order and a voucher which I needed to spend anyways.

Thanks all!
Sounds great regarding your exam of the alignment. We can compare notes here in a few more days as I ordered a new Ambassador last week and is on the way….

The Rex Ambassador and Konsul are both great.
QC is pretty good - just make sure to check the razor when you get it.
My first Konsul had an issue with the dial not turning smoothly. Matt swapped it out quickly.

I picked both of mine up during Black Friday (different years).
It's just around the corner :)

Sounds great regarding your exam of the alignment. We can compare notes here in a few more days as I ordered a new Ambassador last week and is on the way….

Thank you! Well I'm no expert on these things but I think it looks pretty much fine! I've seen people post pictures of alignment issues and they're always very obvious.. you know, like you can tell right away like "Damn, that doesn't look good".

Oh and yes, that would be great! Be sure to let me know when it arrives and we'll compare them!

The Rex Ambassador and Konsul are both great.
QC is pretty good - just make sure to check the razor when you get it.
My first Konsul had an issue with the dial not turning smoothly. Matt swapped it out quickly.

I picked both of mine up during Black Friday (different years).
It's just around the corner :)

Thank you!

Glad to hear that. I've given it a check over and while I'm not familiar with these particular razors, I can't really fault anything on it thankfully. All looks good to my eyes.

Is that little dial supposed to be like really smooth or was it just that your was exceptionally tight or rough? Mine does have some resistance. I just assumed that was how it was supposed to be. I'd just imagined it'd be a little bit tight at first anyways until it gets some use. I think now that you mention it, it actually seems to be looser/smoother now after a few turns than it was when I took it out of the box. I'd guess in time it'll be even more so.

I suppose I can get something else during the Black Friday! 😆 Although I think I've almost enough to keep me occupied for the time being! 😁

I wasn't looking to buy and Ambassador at all, and then, today, on Facebook, one came up pre-owned in great shape, for CAD $175, which is a real bargain, so I snapped it up and am now eagerly awaiting its arrival. I have a Pearl Flexi CC, and it's a good razor (although a little too much on the heavy side for me), so I know roughly what to expect. However, this will be my first stainless steel razor, so it's a worthwhile investment I reckon.

I'm a Gillette Slim fanboy, and my '65 is on its way back to me from Razor Emporium after their revamp service, so I've a lot to look forward to in the next week or so.

I am looking forward to your review. The Rex is my daily driver. Took me a few weeks to get used to it.
The Rex is pretty much my daily driver also, for the last 3 weeks or so. Still trying to find the right blade, I did try Derby at first, and while the shave was good, I went immediately to KAI Blades. I don't go above 4 with my 2023 edition Rex, I measured the blade gap and it seems to be greater than the published numbers which are probably based on the original design. It does certainly have a distinctive blade feel, not sure if similar to my Muhle 2011 R41 or not but definitely noticeable. Mine also goes from 1 to 6.5. What blades do you use in your Rex, maybe I could give them a try also?

The Rex is pretty much my daily driver also, for the last 3 weeks or so. Still trying to find the right blade, I did try Derby at first, and while the shave was good, I went immediately to KAI Blades. I don't go above 4 with my 2023 edition Rex, I measured the blade gap and it seems to be greater than the published numbers which are probably based on the original design. It does certainly have a distinctive blade feel, not sure if similar to my Muhle 2011 R41 or not but definitely noticeable. Mine also goes from 1 to 6.5. What blades do you use in your Rex, maybe I could give them a try also?
I am currently using Perm-sharps in my Rex Ambassador and have previously used Nacet blades with great success.

I am currently using Perm-sharps in my Rex Ambassador and have previously used Nacet blades with great success.
Thanks, I don't currently have either one of those handy but will keep in mind. I have used Perma-sharps in the past in my R41s and Gillette adjustables, various models. They are a real nice blade. Do you ever get a sort of skin tugging, maybe around some loose skin or jaw line? Just get that feeling once in a while using a less slick soap with the Rex. Don't experience it with any other razor including my Game Changer.

What blades do you use in your Rex, maybe I could give them a try also?
Kai blades are wider than other de blades. You're making your shave more aggressive.

I always liked Treet Platinum blades in my rex. Rapira Swedish Supersteel and Treet 7 Days platinum and Gillette Platinum blades all worked very well.

Not a big fan of any Derby blades.

Kai blades are wider than other de blades. You're making your shave more aggressive.

I always liked Treet Platinum blades in my rex. Rapira Swedish Supersteel and Treet 7 Days platinum and Gillette Platinum blades all worked very well.

Not a big fan of any Derby blades.
I have some Treet carbon blades I might try, I heard they can be pretty smooth but not much longevity to them. I have a bunch laying around. Thanks for you suggested blades, I will have to order some Rapira's soon to try out.

I really like Treet’s carbon steel blades, particularly in a Henson +++. They are a “one and done” blade, maybe two if you’re lucky, because of the risk of rust. But they’re also less than 10¢ each and I don’t care to get tons of value from each of my blades (which actually seems absurd to me when we readily spend so much on gear otherwise).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the Ambassador, it’s a fine razor as you have probably gathered by now. 🙂

Thanks, I don't currently have either one of those handy but will keep in mind. I have used Perma-sharps in the past in my R41s and Gillette adjustables, various models. They are a real nice blade. Do you ever get a sort of skin tugging, maybe around some loose skin or jaw line? Just get that feeling once in a while using a less slick soap with the Rex. Don't experience it with any other razor including my Game Changer.
I don't get any tugging with a good blade. I change it as soon as I feel any tugging, even if it is mid-shave. A slick soap is a must for any razor, in my opinion. I regularly use Stirling, Captain's Choice, and Cella. I have used VS with great results in the past.

So my second shave with the Ambassador. One day's growth, 3rd use Permasharp blade.

I have a Pearl Flexi which is an obvious clone of the Ambassador. The head geometry is almost identical, and both have 6 settings of aggression. Not sure how their blade gaps compare, but both can feel pretty aggressive on higher settings.

The Ambassador is the better balanced of the two razors. It isn't as heavy as the Flexi, and the Flexi is handle-heavy, which I find makes it unwieldy in some situations. You don't have that problem with the Ambassador. Using the Ambassador on setting 2.8, there's definite blade feel, but the shave is smooth, comfortable and pretty efficient. I can feel the blade most on my neck, so I click down to about 2.1 and leave it there for the reminder of the WTG pass and the second, XTG pass.

No nicks, although I was aware if having to concentrate - just as I am with the Flexi. That said, it was an enjoyable shave, and 2.1 was a sweet spot for efficiency and comfort. I didn't have to fight gravity as I do with the Flexi, although I must say that both produce a good shave.

Overall, the Ambassador wins. The balance makes it easier to use, but I wouldn't say it's a better shaver than the Flexi necessarily. Clearly the engineering is top-notch, and the handle knurling is exceptional. You could coat it in butter and it wouldn't slip.

Very nice razor - although I'm glad I bought it second-hand and didn't pay the CAD$385 that Amazon's asking (I paid CAD$175).

Okay, folks.. just to give you a little update.. I'm now the owner of a Rex Ambassador. 🤭

It should be here in a few days! I'll let you all know what I think as soon as it arrives! 😉
Well I chimed in too late, I was going to suggest looking into the new Blackland Osprey. Enjoy your new razor.

Top Bottom