What's new

Cold Weather AS/moisturizer suggestions

All summer fine with shaving then alcohol based AS Clubman, or Bayrum. Need the alcohol I'm prone to ingrowns or acne. In the winter I get super dry skin and moisturizers are way to greasy feeling on my skin. Any suggestions, or technics in winter. Need an antiseptic and it drys in winter

Routine: Shower, cetaphil wash, or no soap if dry, exfoliate soft brush, warm water prep, glycerine shave soap, de feather, as alcohol splash

You need a different regime during cold/dry season, clearly. I have the same problem that I have solved some years ago.

During winter ( when relative humidity is less than 50%) I only use aftershave balms. I shave daily so I use them daily. On top of that I use a standard moisturizer, a cheap generic one from the pharmacy. I apply it every night.

Hope this helps!

I love splashes. Solved the problem with B&M's Kyovu. The 4 season "balmy" splash. Excellent product IMHO.

All summer fine with shaving then alcohol based AS Clubman, or Bayrum. Need the alcohol I'm prone to ingrowns or acne. In the winter I get super dry skin and moisturizers are way to greasy feeling on my skin. Any suggestions, or technics in winter. Need an antiseptic and it drys in winter

Routine: Shower, cetaphil wash, or no soap if dry, exfoliate soft brush, warm water prep, glycerine shave soap, de feather, as alcohol splash

As I read this I thought I wrote it, haha! It's the same for me. I previously used Cetaphyl's daily moisturizer but I thought that was greasy and heavy. I've recently been using Aloe Vera gel at night because I read somewhere that it has a lot of great benefits for your skin. I don't know if it'll work as a daily moisturizer though. I'd like to find one too because it gets stupid cold here in MN!

There are a number of AS splashes that contain glycerin and/or other moisturizing ingredients, so it may be possible to continue their use, or some of them anyway. Also, it's possible to add glycerin to a splash that doesn't already have it. I do it myself.

An AS that is often overlooked is Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic. Witch hazel, glycerin, aloe, and vitamin E--good stuff. Its pleasant orange scent is meant to disappear in a few minutes, and it does. No alcohol.

Another healing AS is Stirling. Again, witch hazel, glycerin, and aloe.

So you don't necessarily need to give up splashes for the winter.

You might try posting your query in the aftershaves forum, if it hasn't been moved there already. Lots of knowledgeable gents there.

Last edited:
I use a glycerine pre-save soap like RazoRock and lather right over it on the first pass. Then the Nivea Sensative After Shave Balm as a final step. I do use an aftershave before the Nivea.

I live in MN. My go to balm for the harsh winter is Myrsol Emulsion. Best paired with Mitchells Woolfat shave soap.

I live in MN. My go to balm for the harsh winter is Myrsol Emulsion. Best paired with Mitchells Woolfat shave soap.
Very interesting, will check out as it's from Spain. My ancestors missed the ship to Minnesota so I'm stuck here in Sweden. I do believe we have very similar weather conditions with cold and dry winters though.

It's very hard to get hold of witch hazel based products in the EU, and the postage is killing the deals from CONUS.

For moisturizers, this may be too greasy but I'm partial to Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream for the bitterly cold winter days. Its thick, but absorbs pretty well, and I don't feel the sting of whipping winds walking up the hill to work in Boston (and it feels like whichever route I take the wind is always in my face!).

Top Bottom