What's new

OS X Yosemite

Currently downloading (5.16GB) OS X Yosemite onto my Mac Mini - how many of you also downloading the new release? Hearing some great reviews so far, particularly with the tighter integration with iOS 8.

Oops - posted in wrong sub forum - meant to put this in the Barbershop! (can't really classify OS X as a sport really)

(now moved, thank you mods)

Last edited:
Interested to hear how it goes, especially the Photo App. I'm pretty heavily invested in Aperture and I'm hoping Photos can measure up to that.

Yosemite now installed and running - now have all the associated app upgrades in progress. Initial impressions though, very clean looking, though perhaps a tad cartoony in the way we first saw with iOS 7. Still configuring some odds and ends so will feedback again when I've had a good look around.

Any performance comparisons to Mavericks? My wife has a 2011 MBP and it slowed down a ton when we installed Mavericks...very disappointing. I'm hoping that Yosemite helped optimize and streamlined things.

Any performance comparisons to Mavericks? My wife has a 2011 MBP and it slowed down a ton when we installed Mavericks...very disappointing. I'm hoping that Yosemite helped optimize and streamlined things.

I've also got a 2011 MBP. I've been refraining from upgrading from Snow Leopard, but I can't really put it off any longer. Too many of my apps require an upgrade. I want to wait to see how people with this laptop fair first, though.

My iMac also slowed down with the "upgrade" to Mavericks. I'm new to Mac (bought this iMac in 2012), so I can't compare the pros and cons of all the different OS, but I didn't think there were really any features that I just had to have in Mavericks that I didn't have in the previous version. On the other hand, it's still a great OS, I just didn't like the slow down.

Subscribed.

I'm normally a early adopter when new versions of iOS are released, but more cautious when it comes to updating my MBP. I'll be interested to hear your analysis.

Subscribed.

I'm normally a early adopter when new versions of iOS are released, but more cautious when it comes to updating my MBP. I'll be interested to hear your analysis.

I *HATE* the iOS 8 upgrade, and will wait quite awhile before doing any other upgrades on my systems. FWIW, I'm a Mac user since '89 and Apple user since '83, even during the dark times.

I think I'm going to stay on snow leopard for the 2009 MBW. I'll hold off for a month or two until MBA ships with this OS

I've also got a 2011 MBP. I've been refraining from upgrading from Snow Leopard, but I can't really put it off any longer. Too many of my apps require an upgrade. I want to wait to see how people with this laptop fair first, though.

My iMac also slowed down with the "upgrade" to Mavericks. I'm new to Mac (bought this iMac in 2012), so I can't compare the pros and cons of all the different OS, but I didn't think there were really any features that I just had to have in Mavericks that I didn't have in the previous version. On the other hand, it's still a great OS, I just didn't like the slow down.

Very interesting. I had a 2009 Macbook Pro that ran flawlessly up until three months ago when I spilled water on it :hang: I always upgraded it to the latest OS, and it seemed to handle it well.

It is a bit zippier on my iMac. I like the boldness of the text but not too thrilled with the icons in the dock.

What was Apple thinking?! That dock has not been used since Tiger. "Hey, let's reuse this really old and outdated style. Everyone will think that it is new. Brilliant!" :lol:

Safari in Yosemite is defaulted to a very stripped interface similar to Chrome. You can bring the features back using the view menu.

Top Bottom