What's new

Grooming Dept Lather Question

I'm somewhat new to wet shaving, with a month or so under the belt. So far, I have had great success with Barrister & Mann Seville as well as Noble Otter Barr Barr. Both great soaps and smells. I am also using the Captain's Choice copper shave bowl with a Muhle STF synthetic brush. So I had read great reviews about Grooming Dept soaps and wanted to try one out. Today I used Ardent for the first time, and it was a great shave. But I had more trouble getting a good lather in the bowl and when applying the soap to my face, it was much more watery/runny. It was nowhere near as thick or whippy as the BM and NO. Again, being new, maybe this is how its supposed to be, and most likely its user error. Again, the shave was great, but the lather was super thin on my face...so just wanting to hear from any others who have used GD soaps and hear how they lather.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I'm somewhat new to wet shaving, with a month or so under the belt. So far, I have had great success with Barrister & Mann Seville as well as Noble Otter Barr Barr. Both great soaps and smells. I am also using the Captain's Choice copper shave bowl with a Muhle STF synthetic brush. So I had read great reviews about Grooming Dept soaps and wanted to try one out. Today I used Ardent for the first time, and it was a great shave. But I had more trouble getting a good lather in the bowl and when applying the soap to my face, it was much more watery/runny. It was nowhere near as thick or whippy as the BM and NO. Again, being new, maybe this is how its supposed to be, and most likely its user error. Again, the shave was great, but the lather was super thin on my face...so just wanting to hear from any others who have used GD soaps and hear how they lather.
You need to load more soap, or add less water. It should be a ‘yogurty’ consistency with GD soaps. You may want to load the synthetic directly from the puck. 10-15 seconds should be sufficient.

You have excellent taste in soaps.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
You need to load more soap, or add less water. It should be a ‘yogurty’ consistency with GD soaps. You may want to load the synthetic directly from the puck. 10-15 seconds should be sufficient.

You have excellent taste in soaps.
This would be my guess also.

Thanks! That helps confirm my suspicion...I think its probably a combo of both user errors. I didn't load enough soap and then when after a normal amount of time swirling and not getting a good lather, I just kept adding water in small amounts.

As a side note, all threw have been great, but I got a killer lather in the bowl with the Barr Barr NO soap!

@AimlessWanderer has some great lathering tips here!

You had runny lather and still had a great shave with that soap. Imagine the results when you get the lather right. Ardent is great soap. Enjoy

Top Bottom